No announcement yet.

Whats in a name? (the show not the dog)

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Whats in a name? (the show not the dog)

A question or two...or three Completely clueless so please forgive my ignorance.

I was looking on infodog (thank you sticky note) and wondered what pending meant? Is that just for people entering or is the whole show considered pending, like waiting for enough spots to fill in order to have it?

The shows listed as Kennel Club of XYZ or Dog Fanciers of XYZ..are those the same set up as say Westminster (apologies in advance as my only reference) but on a smaller scale? Is that a kind of show where I'll see all the breeds?

I know certain specific shows there is a slim to none (heavy on the none) chance of seeing a Great Dane...but if I called would they/ will they be able to tell me if there are any entered?

Originally posted by DisneyJunkie View Post
    A question or two...or three Completely clueless so please forgive my ignorance.

I was looking on infodog (thank you sticky note) and wondered what pending meant? Is that just for people entering or is the whole show considered pending, like waiting for enough spots to fill in order to have it?

The shows listed as Kennel Club of XYZ or Dog Fanciers of XYZ..are those the same set up as say Westminster (apologies in advance as my only reference) but on a smaller scale? Is that a kind of show where I'll see all the breeds?

I know certain specific shows there is a slim to none (heavy on the none) chance of seeing a Great Dane...but if I called would they/ will they be able to tell me if there are any entered?
    There are usually quite a few danes at shows in Florida, it is a very competitive circuit there so there is a high possibility that you'll be able to see some in the ring. I know we have two active members on the board that show their danes in Florida as well so hopefully at least one of them will commment here for you. You can check the juding schedule which is posted a few days before the show to see what time, how many, and what ring the danes will be in so that is a good place to start.

THe shows are structured just like westminister but on a MUCH smaller scale.

Pending, not sure, someone else would have to answer that question for you.
    sigpic

Comment

I believe pending means that they are waiting on approval of somebody (no idea who though) to have the show. I'm waiting on some pending nonsense with our local show that's coming up. I think a XYZ Kennel Club show would include all breeds. I don't know about infodog, but if you look on the AKC website, you can look for shows in your state, and it will state if all breeds are showing or just certain ones.
      sigpic
      Fergus
      SC Dinnie Stone Guardian, CGC
      Eisen Shark
      C Shadows On The Sun, CGC

Comment

Pending

Pending is the term used when AKC has not yet issued full approval for some aspect of the event.

Submittal to AKC of the required application, fees, clearances, emergency plans, judging panel, etc. is done by the hosting kennel club according to a specific process months in advance.

Exhibitor entries close (cut off) approximately two and a half weeks before the event. Then, about ten days before, the judging program will be posted online by the superintendent (and mailed to the exhibitors). The judging program provides the date, time, assigned ring number and number of entrants for each breed.

InfoDog is a useful resource, although it can be a tad confusing to a first timer. Good on you for looking & asking!

Dru

Alamo Great Dane Club
        President & GDCA Delegate

Comment

I think I may be one of the Florida people Paradis mentioned... sorry, I just saw this thread.

Yes, Pending means AKC has not completely approved the event yet.

You cannot call ahead to ask about entries. That information is available online as well as mailed to entrants about 7-10s before the show date.

Check the premium which is available much sooner than the Judging Program so see if the event is an All-Breed show. If so, I can almost guarantee there will be Danes. Depending on the specific show, the # of entries can vary quite a bit.

If you want to see a lot of Danes and some of the nicest around - look for a Specialty. The GDC of Mid Florida is having their annual Specialties in Brooksville on 1/5 and 1/6 - I highly recommend going to those if you can. I will be there on Tuesday, pending any unforeseen circumstances.
          *Jennifer*
          Member GDC of Mid-Florida
          sigpic

Comment

a little more answer

Okay....just looked at the InfoDog site. (Most shows in my area are superintended by Onofrio so I'm not as familiar with the MBF site)
            The "pending" I suspect you're asking about relates to an agility event which closed/closes today.

As relates to conformation judging specific to MBF, look (as Jennifer suggested) to AB designations in the event "Type" column.

This often appears in conjunction with O and/or JSHW as in:
            AB/O
            AB/O/JSHW
            AB/JSHW
            where AB = All Breed conformation show
            O = Obedience
            JSHW = Junior Showmanship

S indicates a specific breed show, termed "specialty".

Hope this helps,

Dru

Alamo Great Dane Club
            President & GDCA Delagate

Comment

Sorry for the disappearance, between the holidays and m.I.a. kindle I haven't been able to pop back on.
              Thank you for all the info it's helpful
              I'm super excited to be going to a tracking practice this coming weekend and I believe there is an agility next month. Right now I'm limited to traveling within an hour's distance but I'm pretty pumped these are both in my area, I had no idea

Comment

Working...
              X