What kind of show lead do I need??

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• What kind of show lead do I need??

I need to purchase a show lead for our first little ribbon parade next month but I have no idea what i need to buy.. is there a rule about certain colours, materials etc for certain danes, ages etc??

tell me everything there is to know
    No, he is not a dalmatian, No not even half - He is a purebred Great Dane.. Yes im sure!! Yes they come in this colour!

Originally posted by Napoleon <3 View Post
    I need to purchase a show lead for our first little ribbon parade next month but I have no idea what i need to buy.. is there a rule about certain colours, materials etc for certain danes, ages etc??

tell me everything there is to know
    Hi Napoleon <3!

I was told that you want to get a collar and lead that complements your dog's coat. So nothing too flashy. With a Harl black would work.
    This is the site where I got my practice nylon leads and collars for my boy. http://www.3cdog.com/index.php?cPath...0a6fe0f6181fe1 If you can get to a show you will be able to ask the vendors about their leads as well as the owners of the dogs being shown. Handlers seem to be harder to pin down to talk to because they are flying between rings and dogs.

I hope that answers your question. Have fun at your parade!

Comment

With a harl you want to pick the color his neck is behind his ears so that you do not cause a break in the line of his neck..so if he has a white neck go with white...predominantly black go with black...
      sigpic Shash
      Flynn always in my heart
      Artie, Piebald Tempo, Mantle
      Leo, Harlequin Ch Bella, queen

Comment

If anything needs revamping in the show ring, its the leads that are used. IMO, it makes the dogs look uncomfortable, looks painful, and inhibits the natural movements of the dogs. One would think in trying attain the best of the best title, such a confinement tool would not be necessary.

Maybe one day, someone will have the courage to initiate a change and have the lead serve as only a cosmetic wear.

Comment

Also, the type of lead (chain vs nylon vs leather etc) will depend on your dog and how responsive he is to pressure on his neck.

Often, the stronger/larger, more rambunctious males will use a chain because it is stronger. More highly trained dogs can get away with much less. I've seen large males literally drag their handlers around, hard to tell who was showing who!

For puppies, I use a very simple nylon lead. I've used many different leads with Athena, but she does just fine on a simple nylon (blue) show lead.
          *Jennifer*
          Member GDC of Mid-Florida
          sigpic

Comment

My dogs, both male and female, have been shown using a soft lead. It causes no pain. The dogs are trained to move and stack on the leads. The leads are thin so they don't distract from the dogs. They are not meant for training, restraint or correction.

Comment

Originally posted by drgnldy52 View Post
              With a harl you want to pick the color his neck is behind his ears so that you do not cause a break in the line of his neck..so if he has a white neck go with white...predominantly black go with black...
              Thank you! that makes sense!
              No, he is not a dalmatian, No not even half - He is a purebred Great Dane.. Yes im sure!! Yes they come in this colour!

Comment

Originally posted by oceanbluedanes View Post
                Also, the type of lead (chain vs nylon vs leather etc) will depend on your dog and how responsive he is to pressure on his neck.

Often, the stronger/larger, more rambunctious males will use a chain because it is stronger. More highly trained dogs can get away with much less. I've seen large males literally drag their handlers around, hard to tell who was showing who!

For puppies, I use a very simple nylon lead. I've used many different leads with Athena, but she does just fine on a simple nylon (blue) show lead.
                He doesnt pull me at all and only being a puppy i can get away with very little pressure.. hes been trained to walk next to me not infront or behind.. i dont have to pull or hold at all but thank you that also makes sense

Comment

I'm reviving this thread! So I am working on showing my blue male. I am currenly working him on a fine show chain, but would prefer a loop/slip lead made of nylon or something soft. I have done alot of training and his is pretty responsive, so I would feel comfortable with that. My questions are 1:where can I find a blue lead?! Or is black ok?
                  2: How long is a typical show lead? I feel like the shorted (2-3ft) ones would be easier for me to handle b/c I wouldnt have to fumble with them as much.What do you dane people use?
                  I will be going to the Adirondack circut in Ballston Spa with my trainer in early August, and we will get some info there, but I know there are alot of knowlegable show people on the forum so I figured I would take advantage of that. FYI - My trainer has been showing GSD's for 30 years and has had many champions. She is absolutley wonderful!

Comment

There is usually a good selection of leads at a show, especially the bigger shows.

Sent from my MB886 using Tapatalk
                    sigpic
                    Fergus
                    SC Dinnie Stone Guardian, CGC
                    Eisen Shark
                    C Shadows On The Sun, CGC

Comment

Working...
                    X