Would love to show, BUT.........

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Would love to show, BUT.........

I live in Washington state. I have looked and it doesn't look like there are ever any big shows in my area. So my question would be If I really want to show to get my dog to Ch. how many shows would I have to travel to a year. Would it be like one or two weekends a year and maybe there might be a few smaller shows that are close enough for me to just make a day trip of. just thought I would see what all you pros think.
    thanks
    sigpic

Claire 16 weeks

I am no pro as I am just a beginner handler (and not with my dane) but there are a LOT of factors that come into play so as far as I know there is no set time. You can take your dog out, do well against a lot of competition and get a championship very quickly. It may even take a few years to get out there and be able to compete well enough to make enough points to earn a championship title. And it isn't just a matter of earning enough points, you have to earn (I believe) a minimum of 2 majors. Not all show dogs become champions.

I started handling classes with my Neo last september when she was 21 months old. I had her in a couple shows between Halloween and March and we didn't start out good at all. We learned alot as we went along. The problem with showing her is that there is no competition so we can't earn points. I am now trying with my Havanese pup. He will be 6 months at the end of August so we are aiming for his first show in September. We will see how it goes. At least I know with the Havanese there is competition which seems to be the case with the danes. The closest shows to me are about 2 hours away and those are only a handful.

Comment

Like mention before, it can vary. It also depends on the location's of the shows and how well your dog is put together, meaning; training, conformation and condition.

There are 13 divisions, depending on what division you are in the point system will vary. You have to earn 15 points for a Championship but you have to have 2 majors (3, 4 or 5) under two different judges. Majors are hard to come by, due to the economy and less people showing. Sometimes you have to go out of your division to get a major.

Here are the divisions
      http://www.akc.org/events/conformati...t_schedule.cfm

In your case,

Great Danes
      ...1..........2.............3.............4....... .....5 PTS
      .2/2.......6/6.......10/10......15/17.....24/31 Number of Dogs/Bitches
      D..B.......D..B.......D..B.........D..B........D.. B

D for Dog and B for Bitch

If 12 Dogs were entered and all showed up meaning all the armbands has been picked up it would be a 3 pt major
      If 12 Dogs were entered and only 9 showed up the dog will only get 2 pts.

But lets say that 11 bitches were entered and all of them showed up it would be a 3 pt major and then when the Winners (Dog and Bitch) comes back to be judged with the Specials (meaning they have already earned their champions) and the Winners Dog beats the Winners Bitch for Best of Winners, then the Dog gets what is called a crossover to get a 3 pt major.

I didn't know if you knew this or not, so I added.

I know the last couple of shows that I have been to in the last few months have been barely a major. I know next weekend will be a 4pt major for dogs and that's if they all show.

Now I have a question: Its still related to the point system. This is were it get confusing.

Someone correct me if I'm wrong. We had an All Breed meeting and the educational program for this month was how to enter a show, read and count up points. We was told that if a Winners Dog or Winners Bitch that may have got a 1 pt and then beats any Specials for BOB, let say there was 4 Specials, that the Dog or Bitch would earn 4 pts instead of the 1 pt that it earned earlier.

Also, if that Dog or Bitch goes BOB and only earns a 1 pt and then competes in the Group Ring and place a Group 1st then that Dog/Bitch will earn the highest pts given amongst all the Dogs/Bitches in the Working Group. Let say the highest pt given for the that day was in the Rotties for a 5 pt major and the Great Danes had a 1 pt, the Great Dane got a Group 1st, then the Great Dane would get a 5 pt major.

If this is correct, my GOSH I think I have got it.
      Last edited by Susanne; 08-13-2009, 12:36 AM.
      Member:
      Macon Kennel Club
      & Great Dane Club of the Mid-South

Comment

It just depends on how fast you get your dog out there (as a pup or wait till mature). I took Gab out when I knew she was still immature, but I used that time to learn on her and only at local shows. We may have traveled like 5 weekends and showed on Sat and Sun. It really depends on how commited you are as to how often and how far you are willing to go to pick up those majors. We have quite a few shows within a decent distance (6hrs). Also look up the past breed counts at some of the smaller shows....you would be surprised at how many actually pull majors in certain breeds and Danes might be on of them.

"...none of us know what private hell or hardships the next person may have endured or faces even now. We should never aim even the tiniest arrow at a heart that may be more fragile than we know..." Janice

Comment

Originally posted by SusRob0674 View Post
          Now I have a question: Its still related to the point system. This is were it get confusing.

Someone correct me if I'm wrong. We had an All Breed meeting and the educational program for this month was how to enter a show, read and count up points. We was told that if a Winners Dog or Winners Bitch that may have got a 1 pt and then beats any Specials for BOB, let say there was 4 Specials, that the Dog or Bitch would earn 4 pts instead of the 1 pt that it earned earlier.

If you go BOB over the specials then: Count regular class dogs in your sex, plus all move ups & Champions of both sexes entered for Best of Breed competition. Absentees do not count. Check the point schedule for your dog's sex for number of points.

And yes, if you go Group 1 and there is a major in any breed in your group you get the same number of points as they did.

HTH
          Nancy
          Calico Rock Danes
          Alabama

Comment

'Majors are hard to come by, due to the economy and less people showing'...i'm finding this to be true. b4 getting into showing, there seemed to have been a lot more majors around locally. not so much now. i've been told we'd prolly have to travel to get her remaining major; we're only doing very local shows, our max is only about 1.5 hrs drive time (we're getting older), so we're resigning that it may take longer. was told to figure about 2 years to finish, but commitment and how far you're willing to travel does play a role.

susrob, thanks for the layman's explanation of points. what do you do -- count the number of dogs in ring (to see how many actually showed up) or can you ask the ring steward? i'm still trying to learn protocol.

"If I really want to show to get my dog to Ch. how many shows would I have to travel to a year". i've been told, you'll lose more than you win; any given day can bring a different result.
            Last edited by SassySasha; 08-13-2009, 09:31 AM.
            Sasha's Mom

Comment

Originally posted by SassySasha View Post
              susrob, thanks for the layman's explanation of points. what do you do -- count the number of dogs in ring (to see how many actually showed up) or can you ask the ring steward? i'm still trying to learn protocol.
              You can count the number of dogs or bitches in the ring, but you have to pay close attention to the armbands that have been picked up but don't show up in the ring.

We had someone to pick up armbands before and didn't show up in the ring. I really didn't know the reason why they didn't show but it counts. I thought it was going to be 2 pts, but then again, it was off by 1 dog for a 3pt major.

If you are unsure, its always good to check with the steward, they don't mind.
              Last edited by Susanne; 08-13-2009, 02:35 PM.
              Member:
              Macon Kennel Club

Comment

Contact Georgia Hymmen. She is in WA.
                She has a New Dog show Exhibitor Seminar that she does a few times a year. She is GREAT with the dogs and new people.

New Dog show Exhibitor Seminar (Dog Show 101)
                New to dog shows? Can't figure out how to calculate points? Don't know ring procedures and how to stack your dog? This informal, two-day seminar is designed to help the new or beginning exhibitor learn the basics of the conformation ring at AKC or CKC dog shows. This loosely-structured, easy-going seminar will include topics such as your breed standard, AKC and CKC rules and regulations, understanding what is required to earn a Championship and understanding the point system, how to find out about shows, prepare entry forms, begin ring training for both you and your dog, appropriate clothing for the ring, grooming, equipment you will need and a variety of other subjects of interest.

We will offer a question and answer period, an actual demonstration on grooming, cover ring etiquette and the unwritten rules. A workshop will be presented on
                different dog show scenarios. A hands on handling class will also be included.

This seminar is open to any breed. Class size is limited and pre-registration is required.

For more details, brochure and other information, please email Daynakin@aol.com

Regards,
                Renee
                http://californiadreaminggreatdanes.com/

"Being kind is much more important than being right. Sometimes, what a person needs is not a brilliant mind that speaks, but a patient heart that understands." ~Unknown

Comment

<<We had someone to pick up armbands before and didn't show up in the ring. I really didn't know the reason why they didn't show but it counts.>>

that is incorrect.

Just because an armband is picked up, it isnt counted in the numbers as defeated dogs in that sex if it doesnt enter the ring.
                  It is only counted if it enters the ring and is examined by the judge.

If the armband is picked up, but does not show up when their class is called, they are marked absent.
                  Carolyn
                  Divine Acres Great Danes
                  Divine Acres The Legend "Bruce" 5 1/2 months old..5th generation of DA Danes!
                  sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by Carolyn View Post
                    <<We had someone to pick up armbands before and didn't show up in the ring. I really didn't know the reason why they didn't show but it counts.>>

that is incorrect.

Just because an armband is picked up, it isnt counted in the numbers as defeated dogs in that sex if it doesnt enter the ring.
                    It is only counted if it enters the ring and is examined by the judge.

If the armband is picked up, but does not show up when their class is called, they are marked absent.
                    Yes also if a dog is judged that also will take away points!!That dog will also count as absent.

Comment

There are many reasons a person may not show but mostly if there is a major and it breaks or it is close and going up over specials would give you a major and then people pull then you don't show. If you only need majors it is not polite to show in a show that is only single points no matter what.

And as Carolyn said, your dog must enter the ring and be judged and NOT be excused. A dog that is excused does not count toward points either.
                      Nancy
                      Calico Rock Danes
                      Alabama

Comment

Thanks Carolyn

Well, I guess I have to correct the educators at the education program or just ask how they came up with that. Boy,still trying to learn the ropes and people try to teach you something new and they have been showing for over 20 years. Geeee La Weeezzzz

Is it not also rude, if you only need a pt to finish and it ends up being a 4 pt major and ends up showing anyway.

I knew a person that knew it was going to be a major and many many people told that person not to show, cause everyone would be mad. She did it anyway.
                        Last edited by Susanne; 08-13-2009, 07:46 PM.
                        Member:
                        Macon Kennel Club

Comment

Thanks Carolyn

Well, I guess I have to correct the educators at the education program or just ask how they came up with that. Boy,still trying to learn the ropes and people try to teach you something new and they have been showing for over 20 years. Geeee La Weeeessss

Is it not also rude, if you only need a pt to finish and it ends up being a 4 pt major and ends up showing anyway.

I knew a person that knew it was going to be a major and many many people told that person not to show, cause everyone would be mad. She did it anyway.
                          Well thats a great question i had a st poode that needed one point to finish.we entered her in many single point shows.but did not happen.She finished with a 4 point major her 4th major thats sometimes how it goes.

Comment

Thanks Carolyn

If the judge is good for my dane then I'm going to show it at a major show even if he/she only needs one point.

What happens if people are told not to show up that are entered. Then something happens to one of the dogs or an exhibitor can't make it and it breaks the major by one dog. Hmm. pretty stupid in asking that one dog not to show up!

Regards,
                            Renee
                            http://californiadreaminggreatdanes.com/

"Being kind is much more important than being right. Sometimes, what a person needs is not a brilliant mind that speaks, but a patient heart that understands." ~Unknown

Comment

Thank you very much for all the info. Sounds like I have alot to learn but,so worth it !! I am going to give showing a go !
                              sigpic

Claire 16 weeks

Comment

Working...
                              X