would like to show, sometime

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• would like to show, sometime

Hello, I had some questions and would appreciate any help you can give me.
    About me: I have two danes currently and just lost my third two months ago. In May of 08 I will be graduating from college and hopefully will find a "real Job". I am a mom to a 13 month old boy, and work part time. I have always wanted to be involved in some way with showing, but I am really becoming excited because I know that in a year I will finally begin to have some time to do so.

I would like to know how I would go about getting started, maybe how to find a good mentor, or a helpful breeder in my area or via internet.
    I am very interested in getting a puppy, but I know I need to figure out the show aspect first. I have been to several shows over the years so I am not completely in the dark. I just was too nervous to talk to anybody. If any one can give me some tips or point me in the right direction I would appreciate it greatly.

RE: would like to show, sometime

Theirs lots of great people in Mi.and tons of shows.Call your local dane club and meet people from the area and the all breed clubs are great too.

http://www.xceldanes.com/naptime_2.JPG
    Lisa
    www.xceldanes.com
    sigpicLisa
    www.xceldanes.com

Comment

Hi Becky, welcome to DOL!

Sounds like you're heading in the right direction - starting slow and doing your research.

The first thing I would recommend would be to join the [link:www.gdca.org/gdclubs.htm|Great Dane club] nearest you, attend meetings and get involved. Volunteer to help at shows and other events. It's such a great way to network and learn the ropes!

After you've been active in your club for awhile, it will also help convince your future breeder that you have some staying power and are serious about a commitment to showing.

You might also enjoying subscribing to the [link:www.daneworld.com|Dane World] magazine.

When you start looking at breeders, pay attention to their success in the show ring. There are some breeders that show merely for face value and some that show with minimal success at best. On the flip, there are also breeders with lots of wins, but weak ethics behind them. It takes a while to weed through all the various breeders!

Best of luck!
      Bev
      Bev
      Foto Danes

Ch Payaso Flighty Star Alliance RN CGC CHIC
      sigpic

Comment

Thank you both for the tips, I just subscribed to dane world and will contact someone in the gdc soon.

Comment

Bev has some good tips.

And for heaven's sake, go to people who have actually finished dogs and have AKC champions sitting around their house. A lot of people out there sell "show potential", yet have never owned a champion. I can't for the life of me figure that one out...Jo
          Jo
          Hof Kurz Great Danes
          Ch. Tor RN, CHIC, Ch. Reva CHIC, Can. Ch. J'aime TDI
          Fawns and Brindles Since 1975
          http://www.flickr.com/photos/11304225@N05

Comment

Working...
          X