This is a sticky topic.
X
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• First time spectator at a dog show info

First of all, how does one FIND a show near them? One of the best websites I've come across is www.infodog.com - just click on "Show Information" and then do a "Search By State" - it will list all kinds of shows in that state. You'll have to know what kind of show you want to go see. If you want to see the type of dog show usually aired on TV (like the Westminster), that would be an All-Breed show. [link:www.akc.org|AKC's] website has information on all the different types shows.

[link:www.infodog.com|Infodog's] site will tell you the date, time and location of the show. If there is a charge for spectators, IME, it is usually minimal - maybe a couple of bucks.

An all-breed dog show will typically start early in the day (maybe 8-9 AM) and run all day. Often times kennel clubs will cluster their shows together and offer multiple shows at one location, to make it worth a drive for exhibitors. So, there might be a show on Friday, one on Saturday and yet another on Sunday.

Each show is a process of elimination and once a dog is beaten, it is done for the day. Each breed starts out competing against members of its own breed, broken down into classes. One winner from each breed is then selected to compete in Group. There are seven groups: Working, Hound, Herding, Sporting, Non-Sporting, Toy and Terrier. Only one group winner will go on to compete for Best In Show. AKC has a good write-up for more detailed info, [link:http://www.akc.org/dic/events/confor...m?page=2|click here].

If you have a specific breed that you want watch, it's important to know what time they show. Exhibitors often leave or put their dogs away after they are done showing, so for the best chance at seeing lots of dogs of a breed, know in advance what time they show. To find that out, you can visit infodog's site or the superintendent listed at infodog's site. The judging schedule isn't posted until about one week prior to the show date.

Things to bear in mind when heading off to the show:
    -- Leave your own dog(s) at home.
    -- Wear comfy shoes!
    -- If the show is outside, you might want to bring sunglasses, a hat and/or sunscreen.
    -- If you're bringing kids, leave the stroller at home. Show sites are usually crowded and you might be rolling over tails.
    -- If you are breeder shopping, bring a pen and a little notebook.
    -- Bring some spending money for the vendors there!

Things to bear in mind once you get to the show:
    -- Especially if you are breeder shopping, purchase a catalog. It will give you the owner & breeder's name of dogs you like, plus some contact info. Make notes by ones you like and ones you don't like, along with reasons.
    -- ALWAYS ask before petting a dog. Accept "no" for an answer. Showing requires concentration and of course, grooming. Be respectful of the exhibitor's wishes - most likely you can pet the dog when he/she is done in the ring.
    -- Do not pet crated dogs. That is the dog's home away from home and some dogs get territorial.
    -- Never bad mouth a dog! You never know if the owner, co-owner, breeder, etc. is standing nearby!
    -- If you are breeding shopping, realize that not every breeder there is a good breeder and not every dog is worthy of being bred. Any dog without a disqualifying fault can be shown, so it doesn't mean the dog is of quality.
    -- Understand that a harried exhibitor might not have time at that given moment to speak with you. Because things happen simultaneously, an exhibitor can get very busy, especially if they have multiple breeds or dogs. Lots of exhibitors get nervous. And, even if it looks like they are doing nothing, they might be concentrating watching a dog in the ring. Ask if it's a good time to chat...if not, ask to meet up later that day or get contact info to call on them at a later date.
    -- Yes, there ARE poor sports. Dog showing is a very emotional thing - people have lots of time, energy, love, thought, money, etc. involved before the ever step foot onto the show site. This shouldn't be an "excuse" to treat other people rudely, but it does happen on occasion.
    -- Try your best not to block aisles. Sometimes this is really hard not to do at a crowded show site, but be aware and polite. Often times exhibitors have limited time to get from a ring at one end of the building to a ring at the opposite end of the building!
    -- Don't be afraid to ask questions! Most people LOVE the opportunity to talk about their dogs and given a chance will happily chat your ear off.
    -- Have fun!!

Bev
    Last edited by dolmod; 06-03-2010, 06:31 PM.
    Bev
    Foto Danes

Ch Payaso Flighty Star Alliance RN CGC CHIC
    sigpic

RE: First time spectator at a dog show info

And if you can, go with someone who is experienced. They can offer a lot of insight.

Deanna & Trooper

Comment

"-- Leave your own dog(s) at home."

Well okay, I do see why this is recommended. I wouldn't think to bring my girl to an indoor show, but I have opted to bring her to a few outdoor "fairgrounds" type shows, mainly because these are some of the only opportunities I get to see my breeder and for HER to see the current condition of one of her companion babies. I realize that it's generally considered poor show etiquette, but I do make sure to steer clear of the ring (especially the entry area) and to keep my girl under control, away from other dogs there on "business" rather than just pleasure. Just one person's input~

Comment

Thanks Bev for all the good info! I love helpful posts like these!

Gunner's Mom (Janet)

To see my boy ...
        http://www.imagestation.com/album/?id=4290114239

Comment

It is actually against AKC rules to bring a dog that is not showing, although many people do if it is an outside show. Just be sure to steer clear of any of the show rings. Also, gentle leaders and prong collars can not be worn on show grounds. I've seen AKC people require they be removed from dogs that are wearing them.

With that being said, there was some great advise given by Bev. I also will bring a chair, but be careful not to block an aisle way.

Christina

Comment

you forgot camera. NO flash.. though. Also be prepared for some very interesting sights... I went to pet a frenchie (asked first) and he flipped on his back as soon as he saw my hand coming toward him.. then was snorting at me.. The lady said Chester not everyone wants to rub your belly stop it.. He was too cute. I forgot a chair at the first show I went to and was watching the danes just plopped in the grass then I look up there is a huge black dane and he licked me right in the face... Very funny...I guess I was asking for it..Needless to say I was hoping he was going to win after that..lol

Comment

Yes I had tons of fun at my first show. (I would add to the advice to leave your husband at home unless he really wants to go..}> ) I liked looking at all the breeds and the fuss that goes into getting them ready for the show. The kids had a blast as well.

Comment

I took the boyfriend the first time now Im solo. He kepts doing the huuuuhhhh sigh like can we leave yet.. And why do we have to watch all the dogs??? Um hello thats why I came here thats it im leaving your butt home next time...lol

Comment

I most emphatically second the 'leave your partner at home if s/he's not 100% addicted to any and all danes and any and all discussion to do with them' concept. As well as 'leave your own dogs at home', I most strongly support the 'ask before you say hello' premise.

My agreement with 'weary comfy shoes' is followed by suggesting 'bring a cloth' as I hang out with some drooly danes (Mia included) IME people who own/meet/greet danes appreciate the tea towel hanging off my shoulder, particularly in the morning when the dogs are somewhat excited.

Also in my experience it's a good idea to eat a lot before you leave for a show, or bring a lot of fruit, muesli bars, sandwiches, etc. I am always ravenous after a weekend of shows.

Comment

>"-- Leave your own dog(s) at home."
                    >
                    >Well okay, I do see why this is recommended. I wouldn't
                    >think to bring my girl to an indoor show, but I have opted
                    >to bring her to a few outdoor "fairgrounds" type shows,
                    >mainly because these are some of the only opportunities I
                    >get to see my breeder and for HER to see the current
                    >condition of one of her companion babies. I realize that
                    >it's generally considered poor show etiquette, but I do make
                    >sure to steer clear of the ring (especially the entry area)
                    >and to keep my girl under control, away from other dogs
                    >there on "business" rather than just pleasure. Just one
                    >person's input~

Actually, unentered dogs are not welcome within the show precincts. This does not include the parking lot or outside a building. At this time of year, especially, I find it bothersome for unentered dogs to take up shade that my entered dog could utilize. Always consult the premium list for specifics.
                    Thanks, Bev, for the information. I might add that a good opener is, "I love your dog. Can you tell me about him/her?". JMO...Jo

Jo
                    Hof Kurz Great Danes
                    Ch. Tor RN, CHIC, Ch. Reva CHIC, Can. Ch. J'aime TDI
                    Fawns and Brindles Since 1975
                    http://www.flickr.com/photos/11304225@N05

Comment

AWESOME POST BEV !!!
                      I want to start going to some shows and this is wonderful info
                      Thank You

~*~*~ S ~*~*~

Comment

Great post. I'm going to my first show this Saturday. If I'm not too tired, I might go to all of them (which is like 4-5 days in a row). This should be really fun, can't wait.

Comment

Thank you Bev, for always being so generous with your knowledge. It's very much appreciated

Chris

~*He who is cruel to animals, becomes hard also in his dealings w/man. We can judge man by his treatment of animals*~

~Immanuel Kant~

Comment

Couple of additional points. If you are interested in talking to someone about their dog, don't try to engage them in conversation before they show. It's best to stay away from the entrance to the ring at all times. Especially with danes it can be very difficult to move around and people and dogs that don't need to be there are not appreciated. If you want to talk to someone but aren't sure who to talk to, here's a hint. See if you can spot someone at ringside watching the showing and they have a show catalog. This is probably someone that has a dog entered and is using a professional handler. Ask them if could help you and ask them what you want to know, such as, "Could you point out any fawn breeders that are there?", or perhaps, "I am interested in showing my dog in the future. Do you know of someone that could explain what is happening?". Another way to approach someone is to find them when they are walking around the grounds perhaps looking at vendor exhibits. I have been approached many times and these are the situations where I have had the most time to talk, and believe me, I can talk! I've learned a bit since the first all breed show when I ran to my wife, who was sitting some distance from the ring, shouting, "We won, we won! I don't know WHAT we won but we WON!" The breeder was handling Geisha and she was Best of Opposite Sex, as I found out later.

Duane with
                            Ch. Geisha, Harley and Iris in
                            Saginaw Michigan
                            Great Lakes...Great Danes
                            http://duanemorgan99.tripod.com/DuanesDanes/

Comment

One other thing. If you are at an all breed show, try to find the standard poodles when they are showing. I get such a kick out of seeing how they hold their dogs while waiting to go in the ring. I won't spoil the surprise other than to say it is the last place you would hold a dane.

Duane with
                              Ch. Geisha, Harley and Iris in
                              Saginaw Michigan
                              Great Lakes...Great Danes
                              http://duanemorgan99.tripod.com/DuanesDanes/

Comment

Working...
                              X