Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• grooming process for show

Hi all,

Could a few of you "Show Dane Owners" please describe what you typically do as far as grooming when you are getting ready your Dane(s) ready for a show? ie. any special shampoo, clipping of whiskers, ear hair, cowlicks......

Thanks,
    Stacie

RE: grooming process for show

Shampoo depends in the color of the dog. Most folks I know with blacks use a "BLACK OUT" type shampoo, dunno what folks with fawn, brindle or blue use. Most who have harls use a "bluing" shampoo that gets your white bright (usually blue or purple in color-White on White, Plum White, etc. that sort). I trim before I shampoo. Nails first (& every week or so). Whiskers (optional but makes for a cleaner, more chiseled headpiece) & the hair that you can see in & around the ear (esp. on cropped dogs). Also the flank line (skirt) if looks scraggly (might skip it on a neat looking dane or leave a bit on a skinny one) & tidy up the hairs on the tail tip. Some also trim under the tail & around the point of hip (where those whorls are). I'd be careful trying to trim cowlicks on the neck, as you can make a mess of that so practice when you are not going to show to see if you like it. After the trim wash & dry carefully. You can add coat polish (like "The Stuff" or "ShowSheen") if you like & some will even put a bit of Vaseline on the nose & even ears. Basically a wash & wear breed--the whole thing doesn't take an hour to do. good luck at the shows! jpy

Comment

Thanks JPY

Thank you so much. You are so detailed in your responses. I really appreciate all the time you take to help us all learn.

For clipping the ears on a cropped Dane do you use electric clippers or scissors? Do you get the shampoo for black danes at dog shows?

Thanks,
      Stacie

Comment

RE: Thanks JPY

I use electric clippers (& get them used to it early by not doing the whole of the job for those baby matches). You clean out the hair in the pinna (the ear flap), trim the edge of the crop & continue on down if you like (I do) to trim the hair against the grain that grows "backward" right below the ear itself. Scissors would take forever, but could be done a bit at a time I guess. Use some blunt moustache type though to avoid poking<G> holes in the ear?
        You can buy a variety of "show" (professional) shampoos online & from catalogs such as CHERRYBROOK, as well as at dogs shows (cheaper there often as no shipping heavy shampoo bottles). Some folks use Murphy's Oil (believe it or not) but I think that's mostly fawn folks (?) dunno if it okay for blacks & I'm not much help as I've got spotty bodies myself. PETsMART has some in a pinch & some groomers will recommend & even sell you a gallon. If you've got a tack shop or horse supply place nearby can go get the horsey equivalent. I use "HI HO SILVER" on my harls<G> & these folks make a shampoo also for black horses (dunno the name). Ask for that. Shampoo can run from $12 to $40 a gallon, depending on what<G>it promises to do...LOL! Most for show animals claim to do more than just clean<G>! You'll be amazed at the products out there if you haven't yet looked<G>!

Comment

RE: Thanks JPY

Well we're newbies but here's what we do for our black nellie elly boy:

Wash and wax(joke) night beore the show a long with nail trim, whisker trim and tail hair trim. He's abit thin so we stay away from the skirt. We use a shampoo designed for black and dark coated dogs and it does help!
          Day of we use "ultrasheen" on his coat. You can get this at Osco or Rite-Aid or any pharmacy hair care dept. We also use Balck Magic spray on his nails to darken them up and give them a glossy black finish. You can get this at Farm and Fleet.

That's about it! Boy I'm glad I don't have an Akita to show!

Joel

Comment

Working...
          X