Selina's growth - undersize to show

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Selina's growth - undersize to show

Our black b8tch is 5 1/2 months old now,(3/9/00) Selina's been growing well and she's sharp as a tack, she's learning faster than I can teach her. Thank God for Kathy!! Our question is this - we've entered her in a show scheduled four weeks from now and she's a little small. Her growth is not at all like Julliette's who's real "doggy". Right now Selina is 65 lbs and 26 1/2 inches just bearly keeping up with JPY's growth chart. I'm not worried about her weight, she's real fine and very feminine but it's that height thing!
    If she's got to be 28" to show at six months what are the chances that she'll add that last 2 inches in the four weeks til the show. It's a Dane specialty by the way. We have until this Wednesday to pull her if there's no chance she'll make the size requirement, and I'd rather do that than be excused by a Judge with a ruler!!!!, or to have her obviously smaller than the other 6-9 b8tches.
    Suggestions???? And Thanx!!

RE: Selina's growth - undersize to show

I would pull her. I doubt if she will grow that much in 4 weeks. Could happen but chances are that she won't. Age wise, she will be on the bottom of the 6 to 9 mos class and will most likely be alot smaller than the other female pups.

Comment

I'd personally never show an animal when I thought I could be disqualified (okay I can think of one exception, but only one<G> & it ain't height). It cannot be a good way to start out a career to have ringsiders wonder why you were disqualified, and I wouldn't like it said my puppy was "too small" either. I'd put her in matches until I was sure she would wicket in at least if it were my dog. She might be a pup that the best show strategy would be to wait until she was mature & competitive in Open--some smaller animals are--others may need to be pushed thru while in the pup classes, as may not be as competitive as adults (ex. short/small males). regards/good luck. jpy

Comment

I agree with Carol, I would pull her also. I have already seen judges pull the ruler out on pups/dogs, and for her to grow 2 inches in 1 month is highly unlikely. And at a dane specialty, who needs the embarrassment <LOL>, the way puppies act sometimes is enough for a good laugh !!!

Carolyn
        Divine Acres Great Danes
        Divine Acres The Legend "Bruce" 5 1/2 months old..5th generation of DA Danes!
        sigpic

Comment

I really think that height requirement on pups is dumb and needs to be changed.

Comment

I agree Carol. This has been a sore point and one of much discussion for many years.
            I do see many smaller than standard puppies shown in every breed but have not heard of many
            judges "reaching for the ruler" when dealing with the younger ones.

Comment

in the ten years I've been in the USA i've seen Dane pups wicketed & disqual'd 3 times. I've seen lots of very small, maybe too small, pups just tossed to the back of the class & left there, however--this does seem the more usual fate. I've had a couple of judges teach me how to find the right ht on my own body so I can know when to call for a wicket (were I a judge of more than matches, that is), so I'm guessing it is something that judges are thinking about with danes? regards, jpy

Comment

Since most of the world doesn't require this until the adult classes & since ours standard didn't require it always & since it promotes breeding for height, yes, for all those reasons, we should have it changed BACK to be measurements for adults, not for pups that show. JM2cents, as they say, but I agree with Carol this a mistake we should correct. jpy

Comment

For the record - Selina did grow that two inches or so and she showed well. The judge did casualy check her height in the ring but did not call for the wicket. She placed third in the class but was up against two very large Harles and looked very immature by comparison.

Comment

Working...
                  X