Getting started in the show ring

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Getting started in the show ring

I have no clue how to even find information on showing. How do I find out about shows in my area that I could go to check it out and possibly met knowledgeable people?

RE: Getting started in the show ring

Go to Dog Shows at http://www.onofrio.com/ there is a listing of upcoming shows also on their main page is their phone number and you can call and request a catalog for upcoming shows in your area.
    Cynthia

Comment

Go to www.infodog.com/showinfo/showMain.htm

Comment

Lin B--I noticed you are really helpful in providing others with useful links. Did you get the help *you* needed to find materials on genetics in dogs & do you have anything so far you've read you'd recommend to others like-minded?
        tks/TIA/jpy

Comment

Online go to: http://www.akc.org/index.html put "superintendent" in the 'search' slot,
          then look at the "Liscenced Superintendents"
          & see which one lists shows in your area.

Easier than that, subscribe to the AKC Gazette & they'll send you the complete list of all shows & all seminars, etc. updated every month, plus the magazine is pretty much a "must" for new-show-goers & would-be breeders, as the articles enclosed are pretty much required reading to be informed about everything from new AKC rules to new info on breeding & genetics.
          The GAZETTE is NOT available on newsstands like DogFancy--it is the *official* AKC magazine. Anyone who owns an AKC puppy got an offer to buy in in the packet with the registration verification. If you don't still have that, then you can ask for a subscription or subscription form at the AKC website, or simply write the AKC directly. jpy

Comment

As JPY says subscribe to the AKC Gazzette and look for the events calendar that comes with it. Also you should join your local kennel club and take at least one handling class. Start going to a lot of shows and watch the handlers.

Comment

Working...
            X