Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• If I got a penny for everytime...

Hey everyone,
    Thought this would be a fun thread, my husband and I always say if we got a penny for every time someone asks us " do you have a saddle for that horse?" we would be gazilionaires!! So, what are the most common remarks/reactions you experience with your Danes?
    sigpic

Who's walking whom?
    That is the biggest dog I've ever seen.
    I thought it was a deer
    Look at the pony!
    Is he friendly? Can I pet him? (everybody knows all large dogs are male)

Never bothered me when people got the gender wrong, but it bothered me a lot when they referred to her as "it" and I spent quite a bit of time declaring "She is not an 'it'!"
    sigpicLisa
    Missing Mira (7/15/03-12/17/13)

Comment

Love it! Thanks for the response, it is great to hear what other Dane owners experience! How about...do you ride that thing? Thing!! I agree "it" and "thing" are not okay when referring to my children!!! Our little one is an only child, when asked if she has brothers or sisters she responds yes, of course referring to her two Dane brothers and terrier sister!!!
      sigpic

Comment

look at the size of there feet.

how much do they eat? answered with 2 small children a week

Comment

"That's the biggest Weimaraner I've ever seen"
          sigpicBae and Chip hanging out together for the first time.

Comment

"OMG", "That dog is bigger than you!"
            ...sigh, yep. Hear that one every.single.time.
            sigpic
            Hank 02/07/2010
            Sam 08/25/2007 - 06/28/2013

Comment

My aunt's cousin's boyfriend has a dane that's THIS big! *holds hand up their chin*

Tracy
              sigpic
              Mouse April 2010
              Echo -- run free, Sweetie! Jan 9, 2007 - April 24, 2014 Lost to osteosarcoma at 7 years, 3 months. RIP.

Comment

I'm over here laughing because we have heard most of these!! I guess people aren't used to seeing ponies on a leash! Dane Life! I might have to steal the two small children line lol, that's hysterical! Love Weimaraners but they are clearly not Danes!
                Last edited by ProudDaneMom; 02-01-2017, 07:05 AM.
                sigpic

Comment

For me and my little 86 pounder, I hear:

So when are you gonna put a saddle on him and ride him around? (Though she clearly has a purple collar and leash)
                  Does he bite? (Ok, if you think SHE does, then why would you want to pet her?)
                  My (proceeds to list some sort of relative) owns two of those dogs and they are HUGE. Part euro. (They're always part euro...and Willow must be American if she's so small!)
                  sigpic
                  Willow and Liv

Comment

I'm always surprised that people are bothered by "Does he bite?". I mean, most of the time people charge right up to any dog and go right for smooches with no thought to their face being taken off. I like when people actually ask first, because Rupert is a little nervous with strangers so I get to tell them he doesn't bite but he's nervous and to go slow.

Anyhoo, I get, "He's small for a Dane." And then 5 minutes later, "He is humongous!" And I like when little kids call him deer, cow, horse, pony, etc. Adults not quite as much but after 7 years I'm used to it. People just want to talk about your beautiful dog so, what the hey.
                    ~ Lisa & Rupert

Comment

who's walking who? Is a good one followed by "thats a big boy" (also with a pink collar, leash, harness and coat, but ok all big dogs are boys )

Comment

Originally posted by Sparrow View Post
                        I'm always surprised that people are bothered by "Does he bite?". I mean, most of the time people charge right up to any dog and go right for smooches with no thought to their face being taken off. I like when people actually ask first, because Rupert is a little nervous with strangers so I get to tell them he doesn't bite but he's nervous and to go slow.
                        I love it when people ask if they can pet my dog before charging right up to her. One time a couple walked up and started giving Willow smooches right on her lips without a single thought to ask first! I've had numerous people just walk up and start petting her, or get eye-level with her (we all have with our dogs). But it's the question, "Does (s)he bite?" that makes me mad. If you are worried about a dog biting you, don't pet it. Ask, instead, "Can I pet your dog?" or "Is she nice?"
                        sigpic
                        Willow and Liv

Comment

Originally posted by Sparrow View Post

Anyhoo, I get, "He's small for a Dane." And then 5 minutes later, "He is humongous!" And I like when little kids call him deer, cow, horse, pony, etc. Adults not quite as much but after 7 years I'm used to it. People just want to talk about your beautiful dog so, what the hey.
                          Exactly! We do a lot of hiking and one person will comment on how small Maude is (at 125 pounds and in great shape) and the very next person will say its the biggest dog he's ever seen. Sometimes I say she's average for a female and sometimes I just smile and nod.
                          sigpic

Comment

One incident that makes me smile was a dignified middle-aged man who, during the course of a happy, slightly wiggly petting session, surreptitiously planted a small kiss on top of her head
                            sigpicLisa
                            Missing Mira (7/15/03-12/17/13)

Comment

Rootlis...so sweet he planted a kiss, seems like he couldn't help himself lol! I have a funny story about my older Dane Kingy. My husband was walking him rather late one summer night, and a man came very quickly out of his home. Kingy was startled by the man's sudden movements and barked at him. Well, between the size of my boy and his boisterous bark, the man literally took off running down the block and across the street. I laugh as I type this, hubby came home laughing his butt off!
                              Last edited by ProudDaneMom; 02-01-2017, 08:28 PM.
                              sigpic

Comment

Working...
                              X