Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Over excited or what??!

Question for all you Dol folks -
    When the husband comes home from work, ReeferBob not only jumps all over the place (something we are consistently working on correcting) but also takes his arm in his mouth. Doesn't bite down - but absolutely has his mouth on the arm. We are also working on correcting this - both issues are on-going and being addressed. Any thoughts?

My dad's Dane Mickey does that sometimes when we come home and we aren't paying attention to him that much. We'll say hi as we walk in the door and pet him, but if we don't get him full on attention right away for a few moments, he tries to bite down on our arm and is quite demanding.
    sigpic
    Willow and Liv

Comment

I have to dodge the occasional crotch shot when i get home... durn dog has great aim. Thankfully no more jumping and biting. As the poster above said... not paying attention to them, when you get home, seems to help a ton with the excitement meter on these 4 legged goofballs. Just walk past your dog straight to the fridge and grab u a beer works for me
      Xerxes Knight GD (April 29 2016 - present)
      Hannibal Knight GD (July 15 2003 - Nov 5 2015)

Comment

How are you working on correcting the behaviors?
        sigpic

Comment

Bae gets super excited when my husband get home too. She jumps all over, barks and her tail goes a mile a minute. She actually does this with my mother inlaw too and with her she used to pee. We started crating her before letting people in. She stays in her crate until she calms down. We also taught her that she has to sit when someone enters the house. She had knocked me down a few times when letting her in and out to potty so she has to sit before we open the door so she doesn't bowl me over.
          sigpicBae and Chip hanging out together for the first time.

Comment

I taught Mouse to grab a stuffie when people come in so he has something to do with his mouth. It muffles the booming roar and people aren't alarmed when the huge dog has a giant gingerbread man in his mouth

Sometimes it works better to train him to DO something else that makes the undesired behavior stop, instead of correcting the undesired behavior.
            Tracy
            sigpic
            Mouse April 2010
            Echo -- run free, Sweetie! Jan 9, 2007 - April 24, 2014 Lost to osteosarcoma at 7 years, 3 months. RIP.

Comment

tracy, swee' pea used to grab a stuffy all on her own to greet people with. it was the cutest thing EVER but when she had a stuffy in her mouth, she had to talk about it. she always sounded like she was growling. i used to have to explain to people that she was just talking.
              [SIGPIC]

Comment

Finn used to get super excited when I got home, so I'd ignore the nonsense and ask for a sit or a down or something. He also sort of taught himself to grab a toy when other people came over and I encouraged that - teach them to do something incompatible rather than trying to teach them to not do something you don't like.
                sigpic
                Chaucey
                Asaah ~ xxx Asaah LaLa, CGC, registered therapy dog

Comment

Chuckled about heading straight to the fridge for a beer -
                  What we have been doing as a correction is saying "No Jumps" "No bites" and trying to divert ReeferBob's attention. I have actually stood over him, as the dominant with him in a sit, saying these things. Sometimes this works - sometimes not. I will try to have him take a toy in his mouth when the husband comes home - Guido does this and has done this on his own to greet us. I hadn't thought to do that.

I'm thinking ReeferBob's upcoming neutering is going to help with all that free flowing testosterone - the two other guys seemed to calm down about a month after they were neutered, so here's hoping. Thanks for the input - if anyone thinks of anything else, please let me know.

Comment

Working...
                  X