Need to vent (re: pet store Danes)

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Need to vent (re: pet store Danes)

Our horrible local pet store is churning out puppy mill great danes again. They've had 3 sets this past month, mostly fawns and a few fawniquins. An acquaintance of mine bought a beautiful little fawn girl a month ago and I've been to visit and answered any Dane questions. She's a sweet, pretty little thing.

I got the message last night that she needs a new home I was asked if I want her and as much as I want nothing more than to take that poor puppy in and get it sorted and loved... I just can't afford to carry two Danes to the standard I would want to, not right now. I feel terrible about it. Obviously I didn't tell anyone to go out and buy a pet store Dane, though I sometimes worry we're having a "101 Dalmations' effect on our town because Peach is such a public, beautiful, well behaved dog. I've had lot of people meet Peach and rave about how they should get a Dane, and I always try to stress the responsibility needed.

I'm just heart sick about it. I feel like I could help this puppy-- she is coming out of the same hell hole Peach came from. But I like to roll with insurance, top quality food, twice weekly training sessions, ortho beds, outdoor gear for all seasons, backup emergency funds... Peach is a lucky girl. But I couldn't offer that to two right now. It breaks my heart but I've connected them with our ontario dane rescue and offered to foster her in the interim if they need.

I hate pet stores. I hate puppy mills. This is what they do. The only question they ask before selling a Dane is "have you had a dog before?" They don't care and the puppies suffer. I know better now, that buying a pet store dog is wrong no matter what, but at the time this is what I felt I was 'sparing' (not rescuing) Peach from: being born in a mill, taken at 5 weeks, rotting in a pet store for months, being sold to anyone, and inevitably ending up in the rescue system, bounced around with fosters, spayed as a puppy... this is not the first puppy from that store to end up that way, it is the majority. In fact, of the 12 Danes I know of from there, Peach is I believe the only one in her original home. And it's been hard. Really hard! She's a great dog, but NOT an easy dog. Soooo many social issues that we are still working through. No matter how much work I do, I am certain I will always be able to point back and say "those 12 unknown weeks. That's the damage". I wish more than anything that I could offer this puppy the same kind of help.

Rant over. Nobody around here understands, I know you guys will.
    sigpic

Peach, merle Great Dane
    Born July 7 2014
    Peach & Emily!

Don't beat yourself up. If the pup goes to rescue, she'll end up in a good, well-vetted home. You've got your hands (and wallet) full with Miss Peach.

I used to tell people that having a Dane was like having a really powerful toddler. Then I'd say that if they get bored, they can take apart a couch in 10 minutes. That always seemed to strike home.

Best to Miss Peach -- I enjoyed her jumping videos.
    sigpicLisa
    Missing Mira (7/15/03-12/17/13)

Comment

I also am constantly telling people "they are not an easy breed" because EVERYONE wants to know what kind of dog Bear is and where they can get one. It drives me nuts. I always make sure to mention how they are NOT couch potatoes growing up and how they slobber and can knock kids clear off their feet. How they often have separation anxiety and can destroy a room in minutes. I know they have so many good qualities but I want people to really think about it for a second. Your right, people see this well behaved dog and think that is by default what the breed is.
      sigpic

Comment

Siren pulled me to my knees 2 days ago and drug me across black top and patio stones. We were JUST talking about this!!! My brother and his girlfriend who she hasn't seen in months were here and she had been crated for 2 hours. Had to get her out to potty so I grabbed her baby to give to them to let her know they were ok. Let her see the hand over and the girlfriend clinched Siren's baby like she was keeping it forever. I said don't hold it like your stealing it! Went on to find her pee spot and my brother who is 6'3 came from around the corner....freaked her out. He bent down to her level. I said STAND UP! Girlfriend squatted too. I said AWW Holy Hell STAND UP! Siren just stared to lean on me and circle me and I could see she was anxious so I started walking for my front door and I had flip flops on...Once we got a little close to the door she bolted. I didn't want to let go of her leash so I bit it. I have concrete benches near the door and my body went into one. My hips are bruised, knees bloody, shoulders and face went into my brick house. I didn't let go of the leash!

Freaking girlfriend was screaming, my brother was wanting to kill Siren. I was wanting to punch them BOTH! I calmly explained if she weighed 50lbs I wouldn't be bleeding. My decision to have a dog that weighed more than me. How about they listen next time they come over? I waited about 10 min and brought her back out and everything was fine. She just needed a few minutes to "remember" who they were.

As you said HUGE commitment, not to be taken lightly. I worry every single day - I think more about the training than I do about the money part because it seems her needs change almost weekly. Then comes the money part and the time part. Crap, if I could have 4 pairs of those lips to suck I would but my hair would be gray and my nerves would be shot. It seems even the very smallest of minds would imagine a very big dog would eat a ton of food, require twice as much meds as an average size dog, poop big poops and take up quite a bit of space on the couch right? If those things didn't get you looking into insurance, mattresses, illnesses, etc. what would? Don't you research cars, houses, other long term purchases? Not a t-shirt folks!

Comment

So the Danes in Distress coordinator went over there last night and talked some stuff out with them. They're going to give it another shot, and I've offered (again) to help in any way I can. The puppy has mange and according to the coordinator some anxiety, which given the social disaster that was puppy Peach, Peach, I believe. DiD gave them some mange treatment recommendations and she and I are helping with a food change. They mystery garbage bag of food the pet store sent her home with turned out to be Purina, so I've given her a link to the dog food advisor page and a few suggestions. I've also connected her with my trainer. The owner is now aware about the reality of that pet store and that the dogs there are from mills.
          sigpic

Peach, merle Great Dane
          Born July 7 2014
          Peach & Emily!

Comment

I get a ton of people who meet Phin say, "I want a dane too!" I always reply with, "So you want to be on the 'bankruptcy by dog' plan as well? Let me tell you what they cost / involved in their care / training / etc.!" I almost always talk people out of a dane within mere minutes of just mentioning the BASIC costs of a dane. Add in any potential for illness and well, the expenses rack up pretty darn quick. The time commitment to a giant breed is pretty hefty and people don't often realize that.

As much as you'd like to help, there is no reason to feel guilty for not wanting / not able to take on another dane. I don't generally have an overwhelming desire to clean up other peoples mess. Offering assistance, advise and putting them in touch with a rescue is helpful and friendly. I know you feel bad for the pup, but sometimes, people need to learn lessons the hard way. Just like BYB's... you want to help these pups, but if the breeder isn't stuck with them all, they won't learn a lesson either. Any dog of any breed, is a life time commitment. If you buy a dog with an issue, you do your best to resolve it. Otherwise, don't buy a dog. It's a balancing act wanting to help them but also not wanting to enable them.

They will either work it out with your advise and assistance, or the pup will go into rescue. That's not such a bad thing. Rescues often have a strict vetting process and more often then not, they go to homes that are capable of dealing with the situation.

Let us know how it turns out!
            sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by Angel7292 View Post
              I get a ton of people who meet Phin say, "I want a dane too!" I always reply with, "So you want to be on the 'bankruptcy by dog' plan as well? Let me tell you what they cost / involved in their care / training / etc.!" I almost always talk people out of a dane within mere minutes of just mentioning the BASIC costs of a dane. Add in any potential for illness and well, the expenses rack up pretty darn quick. The time commitment to a giant breed is pretty hefty and people don't often realize that.

As much as you'd like to help, there is no reason to feel guilty for not wanting / not able to take on another dane. I don't generally have an overwhelming desire to clean up other peoples mess. Offering assistance, advise and putting them in touch with a rescue is helpful and friendly. I know you feel bad for the pup, but sometimes, people need to learn lessons the hard way. Just like BYB's... you want to help these pups, but if the breeder isn't stuck with them all, they won't learn a lesson either. Any dog of any breed, is a life time commitment. If you buy a dog with an issue, you do your best to resolve it. Otherwise, don't buy a dog. It's a balancing act wanting to help them but also not wanting to enable them.

They will either work it out with your advise and assistance, or the pup will go into rescue. That's not such a bad thing. Rescues often have a strict vetting process and more often then not, they go to homes that are capable of dealing with the situation.

Let us know how it turns out!
              Yes, I agree that a rescue is not the worst thing, and I'm fortunate enough to live in the same town as the director of the Dane rescue and know her well enough to know that her rescue dogs end up in good hands. I always would love to see homes work it out with their new dog, but I really didn't hesitate to pass over the rescue info either. I actually thought of something you had counseled another dol member months ago---something along the lines of 'if you're looking for my blessing on rehoming your puppy, here it is'-- it's sad, but if they don't have the patience or commitment, I know that beautiful 4 month old Dane puppy would be snapped up by a good home in a heart beat in a rescue. If she's going to end up there I'd rather see it sooner than wait until she's an out of control teen. For the time being, they're going to get her mange under control so they can see "her real self" and then assess from there.
              sigpic

Peach, merle Great Dane
              Born July 7 2014
              Peach & Emily!

Comment

Working...
              X