Introducing Zephyr!

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Introducing Zephyr!

Well, I decided to ignore the screams of "no" from my common sense and I added another Dane to my home today.

Zephyr is a real sweetheart and was being beat up on by the Bulldog he lived with. His owner wanted to rehome him before he got hurt. He has greeted Titan and my other dogs fearfully, but has quickly warmed up to them. Definitely doesn't like getting into and out of cars, is a bit nervous about stairs. However, he walks *super* well on a leash and seems to be incredibly laid back.

My second biggest concern is that he lived at a farm where the back door was open and he had 24/7 access to a yard. Potty training and just adjusting in general might be difficult for that reason. So far he's peed once outside and not inside, so we're on the right track.

My first biggest concern is that he's clearly not well bred (he does have AKC papers, but we all know that doesn't mean anything) and may be headed for some health issues as a result. I'll be making a vet appointment first thing tomorrow morning (heartworm is my biggest immediate worry) and will be signing him up for health insurance ASAP.

He's huge. Way bigger than I was expecting, which was disappointing, as I wanted a smaller Dane. Not sure of a weight, but he's the same height or just slightly taller than Titan is (34.5" at the shoulder) and has much bigger feet and forelegs than Titan. Titan's a year old and this guy is only 7 months, so I'm very worried about his size and his diet (which has not been ideal so far).

All worries aside, so far he's been everything I could have hoped for (he is sleeping peacefully at my side at the moment). Some really bad photos, as I haven't had a chance to take any good ones:

This is certainly going to be an adventure!
    Last edited by Hiraeth; 07-17-2016, 04:14 PM.
    sigpic

Oh my goodness congrats! What a cutie! You guys will have fun. Looking forward to hearing and seeing more about him!
    sigpic

Peach, merle Great Dane
    Born July 7 2014
    Peach & Emily!

Comment

awww, he's very pretty!! i know what you mean about the smaller danes. my girls aren't huge and when i interviewed samson for the job, i knew with good care and good food, he was gonna end up ginormous but his resume' was so impressive, i hired him on the spot. never regretted it!

wishing you luck with training. i'm sure he will do fine with guidance and patience!
      [SIGPIC]

Comment

Congrats on the new addition!
        sigpic
        Chaucey
        Asaah ~ xxx Asaah LaLa, CGC, registered therapy dog

Comment

He is so cute! Looks like you will have your hands full with those guys! Can't wait for more pics

Sara-- Moose's Mom

Comment

He's so cute! Love his merle mantle coloring. Good luck!
            ~ Lisa & Rupert

Comment

That's fantastic you rescued a Dane - so happy for you! Zephyr looks right at home where he belongs. 😊 I have to say, I can't wait for the day to add another Dane so Zoomer has a playmate that is his own size (or close, lol)! Congrats!!! 🎉
              -Lisa (Zoomer's mom)

Comment

Congratulations!

Comment

Thanks everyone! He's doing amazingly well. No accidents in the house, he's started jumping in the car on his own, he's playing with Titan and the other dogs (they just finished zooming around the house and are now sleeping). He needed a bath and was initially afraid of the hose, but approached and stood there after some encouragement. Vet check went well, his fecal and blood samples are being sent off for worm testing and blood work.

Only hiccup so far is that he started barking (in a non-threatening way) at an American Cocker Spaniel that came into the vet clinic. I think maybe the size/body shape of the dog reminded him of the English Bulldog that was beating him up, so he was a little nervous. He's interacted with all other dogs very well, including small dogs at the pet store.

Taking him to visit my mom later today, at which point I'll get some reasonable photos!
                  sigpic

Comment

Congrats! He's very handsome. What's his size and weight? Can't weight for more pics!
                    sigpic
                    Willow and Liv

Comment

Originally posted by 21softballstar View Post
                      Congrats! He's very handsome. What's his size and weight? Can't weight for more pics!
                      He's 34.5" at the shoulder and a skinny, non-muscled 110 lbs. He'd weigh at least 120 if he had any sort of conditioning, but he's just literally flesh and bones. And even then, his forelegs are bigger around than my forearms (and I do not have small forearms).

He was born December 11th, 2015, so I'm pretty concerned about his size, lack of muscle development and the damage his diet has done to him. Hopefully I can counter some of those things by making sure he starts getting taken care of properly from here on out.
                      sigpic

Comment

he'll get healthy with lots of good food and your tlc! samson was a hot mess when i got him...skinny as a rail, terrible case of happy tail, awful nutrition for his 3 years of life. i turned him around quickly by raw feeding an lots of exercise. of course, i lost him to DCM after a short 7 months but he died fat and sassy.
                        [SIGPIC]

Comment

Congrats, he adorable. Sounds like he needed rescuing not only from the other dog, but from the owner who apparently hasn't a clue on how to care for a dane. Hope everything continues to go well, and you end up with a healthy happy boy
                          ~Kelsey, mom to~
                          Kumah-merle Great Dane 4 years
                          Nala-fawn Great Dane 2 months
                          Cece- Calico 4 years
                          Sammy- Black Domestic Long Hair 3 years
                          Tyke- 4 months

Comment

Originally posted by Charlene View Post
                            he'll get healthy with lots of good food and your tlc! samson was a hot mess when i got him...skinny as a rail, terrible case of happy tail, awful nutrition for his 3 years of life. i turned him around quickly by raw feeding an lots of exercise. of course, i lost him to DCM after a short 7 months but he died fat and sassy.
                            So sorry about Samson. I'm glad you had him for those short 7 months and showed him how wonderful life could really be, but that's so awful. Way too young to have to say goodbye.

DCM and joint issues are my biggest worry with this guy. His breeder was clearly breeding for size and I highly doubt his parents were health tested. I have a feeling I'll be saying goodbye to him too young, so I'm going to enjoy every minute I have while I have them

Originally posted by Kumah View Post
                            Congrats, he adorable. Sounds like he needed rescuing not only from the other dog, but from the owner who apparently hasn't a clue on how to care for a dane. Hope everything continues to go well, and you end up with a healthy happy boy
                            Yeah, they weren't bad people, but I think they just didn't really understand what they were getting into when they bought a Dane. The expression on Zephyr's face every time he gets a toy or treat is so heartbreaking, like he has never seen one before and he is SO excited that there's something interesting to play with.

I wish I could have adopted/rescued a dog who didn't have a home, but giving this guy a desperately needed good home and the care he requires almost makes me feel like I rescued him.
                            sigpic

Comment

I looked at your photo album and it made my heart smile. They're both obviously thrilled to have a friend, and Zephyr is getting a great new home. I love his merle mantle coloring...the lighter merle shade is one of my favorites.

Congrats, looks like you found a lovely dog to help fill your home. I've been having puppy fever to add a second Dane for about a month now and I keep thinking I shouldn't do it, but I know it's just a matter of time.

Michelle
                              sigpic

Comment

Working...
                              X