Help. No Fence Allowed.

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Help. No Fence Allowed.

I need recommendations. We live in a "community" where it is not allowed to put up any sort of fencing. It takes away from the "beauty" lol.
    So Im stuck.
    I'm looking for a solution for this and either thinking a trolley tie out, or invisible fence.
    I know neither of these are highly recommended on here, as I've done some reading, but I need to do something. I usually take king (dog) out on regular leash with me, but he would like to do so much more running around. I recently puchased a long lead thinking this would be a great solution, but he end up just running around my three toddlers and tripping them up.
    We knew the fence rule when getting our pup, but didn't realize how long it can truly take to be completely reliant off leash. We are working on it, but need something for now.
    I do not plan on him being out it with out supervision. He just needs freedom.
    We take a walk, sometimes two everyday. Play plenty of ball and tug o war in house, and he does lots of running around with the kids as well, but is still full of energy.
    Please help.
    King 01-21-16

In your situation , while not ideal, I would opt for an invisible fence system. A tie out is dangerous for their necks.
    sigpic
    Dale AKC CGC Evaluator
    Associate Member GDCNE
    Member GSPCA
    Member NAVHDA
    Member Central Maine Kennel Club
    High Hopes Great Danes & German Shorthairs

Comment

Where I live it is mandatory to have invisible fencing. Also the only way to have any type of real fence is to have an inground pool which is the state law here and they have to approve and place stipulations on that. Goal being that it not be unsightly. One neighbor with purple plastic, the other with metal chain link.
      My dogs are placed on a tether to potty only. In and out and they are watched the whole time. I have the stupid invisible fence. It just doesn't work for 2 of my dogs so I don't use it and I wasn't thrilled about the concept to begin with. My dogs are watched for more than one reason...In past posts I have complained about my neighbor's dogs going through their invisible fence and coming into my yard to get my dogs and poop - so on and so forth. I live VERY near 2 schools with open fields. Fenced in. Sometimes we have to wait our turn or sometimes I take them to my daughter's school but we go there to play. I have several friends who love the invisible fence and swear by it. It just doesn't work for me or my dogs and yep it isn't working out for my neighbor either! I have to say it takes time out of your day to take a pup out on a leash and then stare at 3 other dogs while they go to make sure they don't hang themselves BUT it is what works here. LOVE to see them run free when they play and they get excited to go.

Comment

I think an invisible fence is actually far more dangerous than a properly constructed tie out. Many dogs simply ignore the fence's shock if the object of their interest is outside of its borders, and then they cannot re-enter the yard without being shocked again. Also, invisible fences do not deter wandering dogs, other wildlife, children who aren't being closely watched, or adults who may be interested in stealing your dog.

A tie out with appropriate safe guards (powerful springs and a safety in case the springs break) is a far better solution, however I'm not sure how that will stop your dog from catching the children up in the line.
        sigpic

Comment

I'm not a huge fan of invisible fences myself, but I do know several people who have them and have had a lot of success. If you got the appropriate tie out with maybe a harness instead of a collar, that might work. I don't see how you could avoid it tripping the kids unless you get the overhead type, and that only work if you have the clear space for it. At my house there are so many trees to get a tie out of any kind caught on it would be worthless.

Also FYI, your dog may or may not ever be completely reliable off leash. Don't count on whatever you choose as being a temporary solution. Do you have anywhere else you can take him to run around in the mean time, like a dog park (preferably an empty one, I'm not a fan of them) or a fenced in ball field?
          sigpic
          Chaucey
          Asaah ~ xxx Asaah LaLa, CGC, registered therapy dog

Comment

Thank you everyone.
            We have a pretty good spot between two trees in the yard for a tie out, about 100ft and yes is would be a overhead trolley tie out. As I like it better, and it MAY help with the kids.
            That was another thing, if we were to go with a trolley tie out, what is safer collar or harness? I'm Sure this is debatable as well haha.
            I think I like the freedom he would have with the invisible fence, I know a few people with them and they all seem to think they are great. I guess my biggest issue is that we have alot of other dogs and children on the street, and would hate that he "could" get out, and then not want to come back through it.
            A tie out will not keep wandering people, or other dogs out either, but will keep him from chasing them off, or running away.
            I'm still so torn.
            My husband would prefer a tie out. He likes the security of it.
            I think im siding with the fence...maybe
            I have recently checked the local schools, and parks, after reading some posts on here about that. It is a great idea. But our schools are not completely fenced. All of them seem to be 3/4 fenced.
            There is a few dog not too close to me, but close enough that we could take him once and while. We went to one soon after all his puppy shots were done, and he wouldn't go in haha,so we just walked around it. To be honest it seems a bit overwhelming. There are not many, and it is right in the city, so it seems to be very crowded.But we are going to try again. See how he feels.
            Last edited by larracey2b; 06-18-2016, 03:58 PM.
            King 01-21-16

Comment

Tie outs are a lot cheaper than an invisible fence - why not get a tie out with a harness that fits well with a back attachment and see how it works before you invest the money in an invisible fence?
              sigpic
              Chaucey
              Asaah ~ xxx Asaah LaLa, CGC, registered therapy dog

Comment

We have an invisible fence system for two great danes and it works well for us. It's not the basic system where a dog can pass a fence line. It's called boundary plus and it's basically a sea of signal once they pass the fence lines so they are forced to go back. They don't get stuck behind the fence line. A soon as they turn towards the house, the signal shuts off. Granted, we have a lot of acreage and it is very private so I don't have to worry about anyone roaming into my property.
                sigpic
                6 year old brindle male GD
                3 year old black female GD

Comment

My first dane was about 3 or 4 years old before we ever lived in a house with a fenced in yard. Personally I don't like either option you mentioned.

We would use a long lead and let our dog just drag it around when running and playing in the yard. Before she had a great recall or just generally didn't want to run away from us, it was simple enough to just step on the lead when she started to stray. Granted that doesn't work for a fully grown determined dog and it still might trip up your kids, but I think I'd rather have the dog play with me out in the yard without the kids if left with only those other options.

Also, we utilized a great, trusted doggie daycare a couple of times of week (usually for half days) where our dog could run as much as she wanted. This along with play indoors, and walks each day worked well for us.

And please use a harness verses a neck collar. Much safer.
                  sigpic
                  Hank 02/07/2010
                  Sam 08/25/2007 - 06/28/2013

Comment

Originally posted by tarheelchick View Post
                    My first dane was about 3 or 4 years old before we ever lived in a house with a fenced in yard. Personally I don't like either option you mentioned.

We would use a long lead and let our dog just drag it around when running and playing in the yard. Before she had a great recall or just generally didn't want to run away from us, it was simple enough to just step on the lead when she started to stray. Granted that doesn't work for a fully grown determined dog and it still might trip up your kids, but I think I'd rather have the dog play with me out in the yard without the kids if left with only those other options.

Also, we utilized a great, trusted doggie daycare a couple of times of week (usually for half days) where our dog could run as much as she wanted. This along with play indoors, and walks each day worked well for us.

And please use a harness verses a neck collar. Much safer.
                    I agree, I don't care for them too greatly either, but we have to do something.
                    You see, I am a stay at home mom of three 2 yr olds, plus our 6 month dane king. And usually no vehicle.
                    My husband is gone 14hrs a day, so king is my responsibility.
                    It is hard enough trying to keep my toddlers out of the road and woods, but doing that and making sure king is not running after the closest moving object is difficult.
                    Like I said, we tried the long lead and he definitly enjoyed a bit more feedom, but quickly started running around the kids and tripping them up.
                    Chasing after king when he has run off into the woods or into the neighbors yard with the children tagging along hand in hand has been a super great time haha
                    We knew my husbands schedule getting king, it has just been a little tougher than expected. I have started to take king for a brisk walk, or playing fetch with the lead. after the kids are in bed and hubby is home.
                    I will not/can not let my 3 2yr olds be alone inside while I take king out to play.
                    Even when I take him for potty breaks it's in and out, right out the front door.
                    We are just trying to have a solution, so that the twice a day I do go out with the kids, he is getting out as much energy and possible without having to worry about him taking off every second.

We just ordered him a tie out trolley to put in thw back yard, should be here in a few days. And a brandy new harness (:
                    My plan.. my. hope.. for now is that I can let him out on that for 10 mins or so every few potty breaks, so he can run around if he so pleases, and I can be inside wth the kids. I can see the whole yard from the house.
                    To be completely honest we are probably going to get the invisible fence as well. So that way, he can run around the entire yard while I'm out there with him, but if he needs to burn off some energy he can be let out on the trolley for a few mins.
                    Thank you
                    King 01-21-16

Comment

I understand. You're doing the best that you can. Thanks for ordering the harness. Keep working on training with your guy. (training and mental games can be just as exhausting for a dog as running). Hopefully, with lots of consistent and positive training, you'll have a dog who doesn't care to run off anyway and fencing won't be as much of an issue.

Good luck!
                      sigpic
                      Hank 02/07/2010
                      Sam 08/25/2007 - 06/28/2013

Comment

I live in a condo but have a private area in the back. Im not allowed a fence either, but I created a small yard by putting some x-pens together. Maybe that might work for you too?
                        Here's a pic of our "yard." I put it up when we are sitting outside, take it down when we go in.

Last edited by judyg; 07-04-2016, 04:45 PM.

Comment

Working...
                        X