Life jacket

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Life jacket

Anyone have success with a life jacket? I saw a few older posts (and loved reading about all the "water dogs") but was looking for any updates. Maude will be joining us on our vacation to a lake house in New Hampshire this summer. When we go hiking, she loves to jump in creeks and will go in up to her chest, but wasn't thrilled the last time we tried to get her to actually swim. We will also be going out in a canoe, and after successfully taking our Neapolitan Mastiff in one growing up, I think we are going to try with Maude. At the very least, I'd like a life vest for safety but I also think it would be great if Maude enjoyed swimming in it. My husband thinks I'm ridiculous and that because she is a dog, she can swim...but I'd like to give it a shot. Any recommendations for life jackets that have worked for your pups?
    sigpic

Tell your husband to see what happens when you toss a bulldog in the water...they're dogs too Motley Mutt makes one up to 44" girth and Ruffwear makes one up to 42".
    sigpic
    Chaucey
    Asaah ~ xxx Asaah LaLa, CGC, registered therapy dog

Comment

lol I have the same problem when I tell people I want to get Willow a life jacket. "She's a dog, swimming is an instinct!" Ha. Not with Willow. She sinks like a rock.

Good luck finding one (I have yet to) and have fun!
      sigpic
      Willow and Liv

Comment

Fergus will stand on his back legs and walk why he slaps at the water with his front legs lol. I've heard good things about Ruffwear.
        sigpic
        Fergus
        SC Dinnie Stone Guardian, CGC
        Eisen Shark
        C Shadows On The Sun, CGC

Comment

I have a pittie mix that sinks like a rock! He has fallen into our pool a couple times when he was younger and never even attempts to paddle... just sinks. You can tell your husband, not all dogs can swim!
          sigpic

Comment

Not ridiculous at ALL! My hubby tried to tell me the thing last year when we first took our pup on our annual camping/ canoe trip....

Turned out we needed it! First time he got in the water - well walked right out of the canoe really, he wasn't wearing the jacket. He just had this look of panic in his eyes and sunk. He did exactly what someone described below, just used the front legs, has yet to engage the back ones. Both my hubby and brother in law jumped in after him and dumped their canoes in the process! (Which usually happens at least once on this trip regardless.) When I was finally granted permission to use the canine life jackets without grief after that, they worked great! ha!

I think I found jackets for both my pups on Amazon "Paws Aboard Neoprene Doggy Life Jacket". It seemed to do the trick then. I'm not sure how it will pan out this year because instead of 115 my Dane is 173lbs. If you find something out there for heavier I'd love to know more!

Comment

Originally posted by oshagcj914 View Post
              Tell your husband to see what happens when you toss a bulldog in the water...they're dogs too Motley Mutt makes one up to 44" girth and Ruffwear makes one up to 42".
              Yup, my mom has an English Bulldog and they're essentially giant, noisy, drooly rocks.

First time he tried swimming he sank immediately. Now he will paddle around all day in his life jacket and loves it.

Comment

this is the best one we found

http://www.hurtta.com/EN/Products/Re...Life%20jacket/

it is large enough for GD, and actually supports them when swimming, and stays on nicely (velcro, so you can 'custom fit' it easily); and comfortable not only in the water, but when walking/running; which is important too unless you're taking jacket on and off all the time.

everything else we tried... blah. It was either not long enough to support back, or was 'riding up' on a throat, or was not supporting the weight of GD

Comment

Thanks so much, everyone, for both the suggestions and the (validation that I'm not being ridiculous) about a dog life jacket! Now that I've looked up the ones mentioned and searched the Amazon reviews for "Great Dane" (because they are special dogs, after all) I think I've narrowed it down. I am unreasonably excited about going swimming with Maude this summer and while I'm hoping she will become a swimmer, we'll have a great time no matter what.
                  sigpic

Comment

I had the Ezydog for my boy. It fit him well

http://store.ezydog.com/doggy-floatation-vest/
                    sigpic
                    Debbie & Murphy

Comment

Pupdate on the life jacket: We went with the Ruffwear, red because the yellow clashed with Maude's coat . It fit very well, did not shift while she was in the water, and kept her head up,so I'd definitely recommend this brand. We did a slow introduction to the water, luring her farther and farther from shore with a squeaky ball. She eventually swam on her own but pretty much kept to where her feet could touch. She was more than happy to wade in up to her chest and spent a lot of time in the water, but I guess she's just not a swimmer. Even watching my uncle's lab dive off the dock didn't inspire her to swim, but I'm glad we tried and thank you to everyone here for your help.

FullSizeRender 7.jpg

FullSizeRender 8.jpg

IMG_2649.jpg

IMG_2650.jpg
                      sigpic

Comment

Working...
                      X