Crate Recommendations?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Crate Recommendations?

I'm looking for crate recommendations or how to build my own...my rescue girl has separation anxiety when I just leave the room (whimpering, pacing), and when I'm gone she would have torn apart the house if no one had been there to stop her (digging at the door, all out howling like her heart was broken in a million pieces). She'll need to be crated when we all leave the house and it will need to be durable if she tries to chew or nose her way out. I'll pre-adjust her to it in the beginning by having her sleep in it at night and use it as her doggy den, but when we actually leave the house and leave her locked in it I'm sure all bets are off. She has already sampled a baseboard when bored and the coffee table just for tasting. Estimated age is 1.5-2 years.

I've been looking at the Midwest Solutions XXL series...a little nervous about reports of it being flimsy? Considering she'll probably try to chew her way out.

Thanks in advance for the advice!

I think some people have had good luck with reinforcing the Midwest crate with zip ties everywhere you can put them and carabiners to keep the door closed.
    sigpic
    Chaucey
    Asaah ~ xxx Asaah LaLa, CGC, registered therapy dog

Comment

Originally posted by oshagcj914 View Post
      I think some people have had good luck with reinforcing the Midwest crate with zip ties everywhere you can put them and carabiners to keep the door closed.
      This is exactly what I was going to say. Lola is an escape artist and this worked wonders when we used to crate her.

They now also use clips on her door when we board her. One morning they came in to find she had opened her kennel run, and then let Herc and another dog out as well.

Comment

Originally posted by jrturk View Post
        They now also use clips on her door when we board her. One morning they came in to find she had opened her kennel run, and then let Herc and another dog out as well.
        LOL! Wow, what a smart girl
        sigpic

Comment

There is a very strong aluminum crate that looks like a fortress. I think I saw it on a GSD police training site. I'll try to find it, and post a link.
          sigpicCelle: 7/1/14, my current problem child
          Chance: 9/3/05, the stray kitten that Jena brought home
          Jena: 6/2/99 - 10/6/09 R.l.P. my heart dog (merle GD)

Comment

I found it ... I don't know how to copy/paste using this tablet, but go to Leerburg.com official site. They have an online catalog. Type in crates in the search box and there it is.

Damn spell check changed the spelling on me.
            Last edited by hdpartsman0032; 11-06-2015, 05:55 PM. Reason: spelling
            sigpicCelle: 7/1/14, my current problem child
            Chance: 9/3/05, the stray kitten that Jena brought home
            Jena: 6/2/99 - 10/6/09 R.l.P. my heart dog (merle GD)

Comment

Originally posted by Tiva View Post
              LOL! Wow, what a smart girl
              Or naughty and stubborn!

Comment

Originally posted by oshagcj914 View Post
                We used zip ties on Bae's crate. I don't think she could get out of it with them on there.

I hope you find a safe crate for your pup Niki.
                sigpicBae and Chip hanging out together for the first time.

Comment

Dakota is a little over 2 now. She has that crate, she has some separation anxiety that has started recently and the crate is flimsy enough she can srtong arm herself out of it. It is so much more flimsy and noisy than the other 2 crates we have (both different brands). It is unfortunate that they do not make a higher quality material since the crate is for GIANT breeds. IN fact it was the first concern I had when it arrived.

She has an affinity for couches and tables but (knock on wood) not baseboards and bookshelves! We ended up using a metal gate that spans the french doors of the dog room and just ordered a metal frame day bed w/ trundle (surely she would chew on a wood frame), with spring mattresses. Which I will then be covering with a high high quality chew resistant nylon.

Too bad I did not know all of this 6 months ago, it would have saved a TON of $$. I hope you find something that works for you before you lose 2 chairs, a dining room table, and have a crate you can't use

**If I were to build one I would use PVC as we have Karunda beds that we use outside and she has never even thought of chewing on it, not to mention it is super durable. You could make the frame and then add the bars and etc. If you are handy I don't think it would be all that bad, if the open room didn't work that was our next step**

The things we do for our dogs, the guy was selling me on the mattresses and I was thinking IF ONLY he knew the beds were for 2 GD's and a Lab...
                  Last edited by mom4jazzie; 11-07-2015, 02:07 PM. Reason: build idea
                  sigpic
                  Bailey (Choc Lab), Jasmin (GD), Dakota (GD)
                  Ashley & Chloe (Himalayan)
                  In Memory of our beloved Jake
                  forever in our hearts

Comment

Thanks for the info everyone!

Did you zip tie reinforce it mom4jazzie?

Comment

Originally posted by nikiwantsadane View Post
                      Thanks for the info everyone!

Did you zip tie reinforce it mom4jazzie?
                      We did, everywhere but the front door of course. We then tried carabeaners, which she injured herself trying to push past them, then we used cable wire like twist ties which kept her in but she just wouldn't stop trying. The funny thing is when she get scared or tired she still goes to lay in it! Fine when all open not when closed and we're not visible. We are putting the crates up for good this week when we get the new bed in!

Not that some dogs with anxiety wouldn't be okay, just not her type. She does not stop and I was terrified of coming home to a bad scene.
                      sigpic
                      Bailey (Choc Lab), Jasmin (GD), Dakota (GD)
                      Ashley & Chloe (Himalayan)
                      In Memory of our beloved Jake
                      forever in our hearts

Comment

Working...
                      X