Need a new trick

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Need a new trick

Herc and I finally started an agility class. He was nervous at first, being away from his big sister. But once he realized it was mostly about treats, he was all for it.

We need a new trick to perform in front of class in 3 weeks. He already knows roll over, yoga (bow), circle, high 5, high 10...I think that's about it. And I don't think he could balance for sit pretty. Any ideas?

Back up?
    Speak?

Both would be easy since Danes tend to do it anyway. You could teach loud speak and soft speak.
    sigpicKelly

Comment

How about "bang, you're dead"?
      sigpic
      Chaucey
      Asaah ~ xxx Asaah LaLa, CGC, registered therapy dog

Comment

Teach him to add or subtract. Teach him to bark when you hold both hands up, and stop when you put your hands down. Then just say "what's two plus two?" (or how many fingers you hold up with both hands) and he barks until he hits four, and you drop your hands right then and praise him for a brilliant dog.
        Tracy
        sigpic
        Mouse April 2010
        Echo -- run free, Sweetie! Jan 9, 2007 - April 24, 2014 Lost to osteosarcoma at 7 years, 3 months. RIP.

Comment

Bang! Is a good one.
          My friend taught her GSD "Be Brave!" Which is a trick I'd never seen before. When her dog is heeling, they walk up toward another person (I guess supposedly a menacing person) she says "Be Brave!" and her dog circles behind her and looks out from between her legs. So its funny cus you think a gsd would really be brave but he's just a chicken!

I also like the "speak" and "whisper" command. I'm training Eli that atm. THere's a video on it here.

Zak actually does a lot of cool trick videos so you could check out his stuff.

Another one I can think of is to "pick up toys". You train the dog to carry an item and then go drop it in a bucket. There's a vide on that here.

The same guy also has a great video of targeting, which is always super impressive here.
          sigpic

Comment

We decided on Bang! and it's going really well. I shaped it like 20 times tonight and started adding the hand signal by the end. He was kind of hamming it up even, staying dead on his back . I'll post a video once we have it proofed.

Comment

Hahahaha I can't wait to see this one! I don't think I could ever teach my two slow pokes that one. They'd be more like "slow and painful death" lol.
              sigpic
              Fergus
              SC Dinnie Stone Guardian, CGC
              Eisen Shark
              C Shadows On The Sun, CGC

Comment

Hopefully this link works, Herc is catching on really fast

https://m.facebook.com/story.php?sto...00004851810762

Comment

Originally posted by jrturk View Post
                  Hopefully this link works, Herc is catching on really fast

https://m.facebook.com/story.php?sto...00004851810762
                  Hmmm the link doesn't work for me...
                  -Lisa (Zoomer's mom)

Comment

Originally posted by lisacp75 View Post
                    Hmmm the link doesn't work for me...
                    It should work now, I changed to public.

Comment

Originally posted by jrturk View Post
                      It should work now, I changed to public.
                      So cute!!! I don't know why, but I had always pictured Herc as more of a pit bull mix. Maybe his name, lol??? He looks a bit Dobie in the video though. So funny how people form opinions etc based on a name I guess. Very cool trick.
                      -Lisa (Zoomer's mom)

Comment

Originally posted by lisacp75 View Post
                        So cute!!! I don't know why, but I had always pictured Herc as more of a pit bull mix. Maybe his name, lol??? He looks a bit Dobie in the video though. So funny how people form opinions etc based on a name I guess. Very cool trick.
                        I think he looked more pittie when he was young, especially his face. We thought Rott because of his size (85-90 lbs), but he's gotten taller lately and looks more Dobe. Plus his tail looks like GSD. So basically he's a mutt .

Comment

Working...
                        X