"Is your dog friendly?"

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Dom12 View Post
    I get that too, especially people hiding, I was walking Parros one day and a woman literally hid behind the stroller she was pushing😂 I love meeting dane people randomly, your just walking along and someone says "wow what a beautiful Dane puppy" and then asks to pet him and we chit chat danes for about 10 minutes it's so much fun
    It's like an instant bond with Dane people we've met and especially great when they have their dane with them. Si just loves meeting them.

I don't know what it is about Si that suddenly has them hiding. Maybe his dark color or the fact he's wearing a halti head harness. He still seems so small to me lol.

Comment

I'm always and forever asked if my dogs are friendly. It even happened when I had my 40 pound boxer people would ask if she was friendly.

I remember in school being taught to ask if a dog was friendly then asking if you could pet them before approaching. It is something that I think has started to be engrained into society of people asking if a dog is friendly before they start asking additional questions.

I for one am happy when people ask first, especially at times like now when I'm going through a fear stage with Ginnie and I don't want people approaching her before she is prepared for pets. I also appreciate it because Festus can at times have a case of the old mans where he doesn't want affection from others so I use it as a segway for yes, he is friendly but he isn't feeling well and doesn't want pets right now/or yes and would you like to come and say hello to pet him. I like to use the whole is he/she/it friendly as a segway to nicely turn away attention or to welcome it if they want. I'd rather them ask than for them to just come and approach. I know that Festus doens't appreciate other dogs coming up to him when he's on his walks and I've been teaching Ginnie to ignore other dogs while she is on leash, so in those instances when is he friendly, I can just say yes, but they're not too keen on other dogs approaching them on leash and keep walking.
      sigpic

Comment

I truly think it's their size that intimidates people! Every once in awhile we'll meet a new person and their (small) dog at the dog park and I'll see the look of absolute fear strike the owner's face-- and I immediately bust out the "she's really friendly, she just wants to play with everyone!" as the dogs start running and chasing each other. Gracie has never been aggressive with any dog or person, ever (and honestly, so many people with small dogs are debilitatingly overprotective!)
        sigpic
        “Saving one dog will not change the world, but surely for that one dog, the world will change forever.”

Comment

I do get questions about this. But I also have a spiked collar on him so I don't know if that attributes to people asking me that? I don't mind, I also would of told that lady I know my dog is friendly and I couldn't care less about anyone else's opinion as he is benefiting from the device. Go ahead, think he's aggressive. Stay away lol

Comment

Originally posted by GraciesMama View Post
            I truly think it's their size that intimidates people! Every once in awhile we'll meet a new person and their (small) dog at the dog park and I'll see the look of absolute fear strike the owner's face-- and I immediately bust out the "she's really friendly, she just wants to play with everyone!" as the dogs start running and chasing each other. Gracie has never been aggressive with any dog or person, ever (and honestly, so many people with small dogs are debilitatingly overprotective!)
            Just as a caution, I always completely distrust the statement "they just want to play with everyone!" I'm sure your dog is sweet and your statement is true, but usually it means: "My dog is a pushy a-hole and I'm just too clueless to tell the difference between play and being a terrorist".
            Tracy
            sigpic
            Mouse April 2010
            Echo -- run free, Sweetie! Jan 9, 2007 - April 24, 2014 Lost to osteosarcoma at 7 years, 3 months. RIP.

Comment

Originally posted by oshagcj914 View Post
              I had someone skitter away from me once...I just put an alarmed look on my face and looked behind me like I was looking for whatever scared her . Poor lady got all red in the face . I get that some people are scared of bigger dogs, but if so...is Petsmart really a good decision?
              LOL! Too true!

Comment

Originally posted by mnmouse View Post
                Just as a caution, I always completely distrust the statement "they just want to play with everyone!" I'm sure your dog is sweet and your statement is true, but usually it means: "My dog is a pushy a-hole and I'm just too clueless to tell the difference between play and being a terrorist".
                Ha-- you have a point! Gracie is actually really good-- she DOES want to play with everyone, but she has become really good at taking cues from the other dog. If the dog wants to play, she goes for it, but somehow she knows if the other guy's not into it, and she totally leaves them alone. Often the little dogs do initiate the play, but because Gracie is so big, the owners get terrified that she's going to eat their dog or something.
                sigpic
                “Saving one dog will not change the world, but surely for that one dog, the world will change forever.”

Comment

Working...
                X