$$$/BYB rant

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• $$$/BYB rant

I know this person who breeds off color Danes, doesn't health, etc. Has 8-9 dogs I believe? Typical byb, shiny website and all. She is on Facebook on a private group I belong to this morning because one of her Danes ran out in front of her significant other's truck and was hit, $6,000 in bills and she is asking for funds because she needs $2,000 today. Only has $500 - and that's from Care credit, apparently her credit sucks.

This just pisses me off. I realize that $2000 is a lot of money, but come on...she's a "breeder". Wtf, what about if one of her bitches has trouble when whelping, what's she gonna do then? I realize that most people don't have several thousand dollars laying around - neither do I. But push comes to shove, I can come up with the money for vet bills. How dare someone breed their dogs, and not be able to cover a $2,000 vet bill (let's face it, that's not that high for an emergency vet bill). If I see another person begging for money or setting up a GoFundMe account for things they should be able to pay for themselves, I'm going to puke.

Thanks for letting me rant here, I can't do it on the Facebook page or I'll start something I'll regret.
    sigpic
    Chaucey
    Asaah ~ xxx Asaah LaLa, CGC, registered therapy dog

Originally posted by oshagcj914 View Post
    I realize that most people don't have several thousand dollars laying around - neither do I. But push comes to shove, I can come up with the money for vet bills.
    I think that anyone who has pets should have "money laying around" just in case. Maybe not in cash, but definitely in credit cards or whatever just for their animal's care. I have two credit cards just for mine. One is Care Credit and the other is a regular card. Several thousand dollar limit on both.

I don't understand how people have multiple pets, whether they breed or not, and don't have access to immediate funds. Especially with Danes. What if both bloated at the same time? I don't know about your different costs in different areas, but where I live you're looking at a minimum of at least $5,000 per dog.

Insurance is great, but you still have to pay the money up front. Sorry for the rant, but you'v touched on a pet peeve of mine. They depend on us to give them the best care possible. If you're not able, you shouldn't have them.
    Karen, Chance, Lucy and Savanah RB

sigpic

Comment

This strikes a nerve with me as well as far as the BYB goes BUT I don't think it's fair to say people shouldn't have pets if they don't have thousands laying around to pay for emergency bills. I have 2 cats and a small dog and I don't have a hefty savings account. My husband works full time and makes a decent living but I am a full time student and we have four kids. My Maltese mix was attacked by a German Shepherd a couple of years ago and that cost us $1500 before all was said and done. I had to go get a loan to pay for it but I made sure he was taken care of. I do not have a credit card to my name and I will not ever have a credit card! I don't have thousands in savings and I probably never will. Does this mean I shouldn't get a Dane?
      sigpicPatiently waiting for our new crew member

Comment

As an owner of a sick dane, I really do think that people should have a good savings/credit card limit set aside for emergencies as well as have enough disposable income that is currently going into savings should their pet require vet care or montly medication. I couldn't imagine having to say no to Festus if I didn't have the money for his medication to keep him comfortable. I feel that I am responsible for bringing him into my household and thus responsible for providing for him.

This was also another consideration when I added my second dane was could I comfortably afford her and everything that she is going to need. Being a show dog she does have extra expenses such as show entry fees, handling classes, bait, health testing once she's old enough etc...

This woman that has a byb mill essentially should have the funds avaliable to her to cover the expenses in case of an emergency. I don't feel that a $6,000 bill is excessive nor should it be the responsibility of others to pay for. It was her negligence.

You don't have to be rich to be a dane owner but you should be smart with your money. If you don't have the funds set aside for emergencies and such, insurance is a great option to have then you have a fixed fee that you're paying monthly should something happen. There are lots of options for it as well depending on the coverage that you want to have on your pet.
        sigpic

Comment

This is a huge pet peeve of mine!! Someone I know couldn't put up $500 to get their cat the lifesaving operation it needed so they started a gofundme page. Now, I know some people can fall on hard times and they might need a little help, I have no problem with that. This person had a road trip planned all over the entire west side of the US all the way up to Minnesota and back down to Arizona scheduled to leave two weeks from when they brought their cat to the vet. They raised the money they needed and still went on their two week vacation. I just wanted to stop people from giving their money but I also didn't want the cat to die either.

A little different than your story but still had to vent! lol
          Keena

sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by bjas2 View Post
            This strikes a nerve with me as well as far as the BYB goes BUT I don't think it's fair to say people shouldn't have pets if they don't have thousands laying around to pay for emergency bills. I have 2 cats and a small dog and I don't have a hefty savings account. My husband works full time and makes a decent living but I am a full time student and we have four kids. My Maltese mix was attacked by a German Shepherd a couple of years ago and that cost us $1500 before all was said and done. I had to go get a loan to pay for it but I made sure he was taken care of. I do not have a credit card to my name and I will not ever have a credit card! I don't have thousands in savings and I probably never will. Does this mean I shouldn't get a Dane?
            I didn't say you need to be wealthy to have a Dane, nor did I mean to imply it, but you certainly do need to have a plan for unanticipated expenses...aside from begging from strangers on the Internet. You got a loan, you took care of your dog, that's fine. A loan is a fine plan...and that's my point, you had a way to cover the expenses. This lady does not, and I don't even know if the dog is getting care because they require $2000 of the $6000 up front. More and more vets are doing that because people say "save my dog, I'll find a way" but never pay. And I don't blame them (found out it was her Saint Bernard, not one of her Danes, buts that's another expensive giant breed).

I don't think it is at all unfair to say that if you DON'T have some kind of plan for taking care of emergencies (whether it be savings, credit cards, a loan, etc), then you shouldn't have a dog. We don't have some God-given right to have a dog no matter what. If you can't pay, don't get a dog.
            sigpic
            Chaucey

Comment

Originally posted by bjas2 View Post
              I never once said that people have to be rich to have pets. Please don't put words in my mouth. I'm not rich, but I am very prepared for the unexpected. The meaning of my post was to say that pets are a huge financial responsibility. I don't believe that anyone should take on more pets than they can afford. Especially in vet bills.

I have no idea if you should or shouldn't get a Dane. You're the only one that can answer that question. I do think that you should have a plan in place just in case the unexpected should happen. Danes are a very, very expensive breed to own. Anyone that gets one should be acutely aware of this.
              Last edited by kwhit; 02-02-2015, 12:02 PM.

sigpic

Comment

Those gofundme things pop up all the time. It's so annoying! I've been laid off 4 times and never asked anyone else to pay for my vet bills. I never even considered it. They're my responsibility and noone else's.
                Julie
                Duds and Miles 5- and 6-year-old fawns, Smudge (terrier mix); Bobke, Fig, Olive, Albert (cats); Einstein (African Grey), Rocky (Amazon Parrot).
                RIP Willow 12/95 - 04/04, Maia 03/05 - 10/11, Maverick 11/07-10/14, Spencer 05/06-12/14
                Upper Midwest Great Dane Rescue Volunteer www.thegreatdanerescue.com
                sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by oshagcj914 View Post
                  We don't have some God-given right to have a dog no matter what. If you can't pay, don't get a dog.
                  I agree completely. I see people on facebook garage sale sites asking for a free dog because they can't afford to pay the rescue $100 but "it would make so and so sooo happy". One person even said, "I don't even think rescue's should charge!" WHAT??!! If you can't afford $100+ for a rescue dog... you can't afford a dog period. How are you going to pay for food, vet bills, collar, leash etc etc etc. This is another pet peeve of mine whenever I see posts like that on facebook.
                  Keena

sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by keenamee View Post
                    I agree completely. I see people on facebook garage sale sites asking for a free dog because they can't afford to pay the rescue $100 but "it would make so and so sooo happy". One person even said, "I don't even think rescue's should charge!" WHAT??!! If you can't afford $100+ for a rescue dog... you can't afford a dog period. How are you going to pay for food, vet bills, collar, leash etc etc etc. This is another pet peeve of mine whenever I see posts like that on facebook.
                    This. Makes me think of my sister in law. Got a cat, couldn't afford to get it neutered (or pay her rent on her own, but whatever), rescued a pit mix, then went andrescued a puppy! And she complains about the cat peeing all over her house, and she complained about how much it cost to rescue her dogs! Poor things will be right back in the shelter within a year.
                    sigpic
                    Chaucey

Comment

Yeah...I just don't get people. The breeder I want a Dane from has a beautiful 12 week old female fawn available, (my absolute dream dog from my dream breeder), but Chance is 10 and senior Goldens tend to have issues. He also has a lot of pre-existing conditions that are costly.

I just can't take on another dog right now although I would love to. Wouldn't be fair to my two, especially Chance. And...I want to be able to pay for whatever senior vet costs Chance might need. But that puppy sure tugs on my heartstrings. I just have to stop visiting her site.

sigpic

Comment

I'm as against backyard breeding as the next person, and I certainly see the irresponsibility glaringly clear...but...

In a perfect world we'd all be able to afford to cover whatever crisis occurs at a moments notice, but in the real world? Not so much. This not only applies to our dogs, but to every last little thing that can go wrong, and sometimes does go wrong. Issues rarely arrive in a vacuum, generally when someone is asking for help its because they really need it. I've always seen crowd funding an emergency as humbling admitting you cannot do it all on you own. Of course there are circumstances that smack that sentiment in face, and times where it comes down to priorities...or lack there of...like the trip incident shared below.

Yes, danes are expensive dogs. Yes, you shouldn't own one if you cannot afford to care for one...but gosh, $6,000 on a moments notice? That's asking a lot of any middle class, working person -- especially if that middle class person has children, a house, a car and other expenses.

You could equate this to children -- children get sick, sometimes with hideous, awful things like cancer -- should no one be a parent unless they can unequivocally afford ALL the care for their child? Probably. But more often than not we all just hope for the best. I just try not to stand in judgement of others reaching out for a hand up (because there is a difference between a hand out and a hand up). If this "breeder" is truly an awful person, that's only sad for her dogs...and if she's a decent person down on her luck I hope it all works out for her sweet puppy.
                        Last edited by AshMPWrites; 02-02-2015, 02:17 PM.

Comment

Didn't think Sampson would cost me so much so far but things happen your not expecting. So I'm able to cover it just maybe have to put less important things on the back burner is all.
                          sigpic
                          Sampson (Brindle Great Dane) 5/15/14

Comment

Originally posted by kwhit View Post
                            Yeah...I just don't get people. The breeder I want a Dane from has a beautiful 12 week old female fawn available, (my absolute dream dog from my dream breeder), but Chance is 10 and senior Goldens tend to have issues. He also has a lot of pre-existing conditions that are costly.

I just can't take on another dog right now although I would love to. Wouldn't be fair to my two, especially Chance. And...I want to be able to pay for whatever senior vet costs Chance might need. But that puppy sure tugs on my heartstrings. I just have to stop visiting her site.
                            Aww, hope everything is well with Chance. I'm sure you'll get your dream puppy when the time is right.

I wish more people were like you and waited until the right time, financially or otherwise, to get a new pet. If so, I think there would be fewer dogs in shelters.
                            sigpic
                            Chaucey

Comment

I think my post came across in the wrong way and I am sorry if I struck a nerve. I am not rich by any means and yes sometimes we struggle (this is why I do not have a dane atm) I could easy come up with the money to buy a dane from a reputable breeder and scrape by with food and the basics. I am waiting to get our pup until I am finished with school and start my career and when we have a larger home. I know better than to expect everything to be easy and perfect. I just think that judgment shouldn't be placed on someone asking for help (maybe not in this case as it pi$ ses me off to see crap like that). I have recently went through a lot financially and it had pushed back getting a puppy even further than expected. It really sucks to have to wait 6 months longer than I thought I would but hey, life happens.
                              sigpicPatiently waiting for our new crew member

Comment

Working...
                              X