First Dalmation comment

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• First Dalmation comment

Just wanted to share that Asaah got her first Dalmation comment at Petco tonight. A 20something girl stopped to pet her and asked "Is he a Dalmation?" I said, "No, SHE's a Great Dane and she's about 80 lbs heavier and 10" taller than a Dalmation" . Poor girl was mistaken for a male by 4 different people. So much for the pink leash/collar
    sigpic
    Chaucey
    Asaah ~ xxx Asaah LaLa, CGC, registered therapy dog

Hahahaha I told you the pink wouldn't help. People are amazingly clueless. I've seen some all but stick their heads under Fergus to see if he's a she, and I'm thinking, "Really? His joystick is rather large. You don't need to inspect it that close." Weirdos.
    sigpic
    Fergus
    SC Dinnie Stone Guardian, CGC
    Eisen Shark
    C Shadows On The Sun, CGC

Comment

Lol, your probably going to get the dalmation/weimeriner question by clueless "claim to be dog experts" or just the clueless "dont know jack about dogs but ill pretend i do's" for as long as you have Asaah and Finn . And the male when the dog is female and vis versa will stick with you as well no matter the precautions you take to blatently point out that a bright pink leash and collar likely means the dog is probably a girl.
      I remember when kumah was little she mistaken for a dalmation and wiemeriner. Lol. It gets old quick but we just gotta take it in stride. Lol.
      ~Kelsey, mom to~
      Kumah-merle Great Dane 4 years
      Nala-fawn Great Dane 2 months
      Cece- Calico 4 years
      Sammy- Black Domestic Long Hair 3 years
      Tyke- 4 months

Comment

:-)
        sigpic
        Duke - 5/13/14

Learn from yesterday, live for today, hope for tomorrow.
        - Albert Einstein

Comment

Originally posted by oshagcj914 View Post
          Just wanted to share that Asaah got her first Dalmation comment at Petco tonight. A 20something girl stopped to pet her and asked "Is he a Dalmation?" I said, "No, SHE's a Great Dane and she's about 80 lbs heavier and 10" taller than a Dalmation" . Poor girl was mistaken for a male by 4 different people. So much for the pink leash/collar
          You are just not doing this right at all!!! Asaah needs some bling on her pink collar and leash - some sparkly rhinestones at the very least! Pink and purple LED type lights are great too. She should also be sporting a sparkly tutu with sequins and glitter at all times. LMAO!
          -Lisa (Zoomer's mom)

Comment

I like the tutu and sparkles idea, oh and add some pink ribbons too just in case lol.
            sigpic 6/20/14 Parros

Comment

At least with the dalmation comment you could sort of see because of her being black and white, (although she looks absolutely nothing like one). Maybe that person doesnt know what a dalmation actually looks like.

At Petsmart we have had "oh look at those st. bernards"

Maybe get a neon collar that blinks "i'm a girl". Regardless....she is a beautiful girl!!
              Donna
              Max (DOB-Apr 28-2013; gotcha date-Aug 23-2013)
              Dyson (DOB-Sept 9-2013; gotcha date-Mar 8-2014)
              Willow (DOB-Jan 26-2014; gotcha date-Oct 31-2015)

sigpic

Comment

and don't forget the totally blinged out bows for her ears.. most people can tell by looking at Nix that he's a dane (so far) but they ask about his gender still, but he is only 3 months old so he's not very high up yet lol.. same thing happens with human babies.. after 2 boys i had a little girl and no matter if she had glitter skinny jeans with a purple butterfly tshirt. at least one person always thought she was a boy. might help if she liked to wear bows.. hats she's okay with so i put bows on them lol
                sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by Kumah View Post
                  Lol, your probably going to get the dalmation/weimeriner question by clueless "claim to be dog experts" or just the clueless "dont know jack about dogs but ill pretend i do's" for as long as you have Asaah and Finn . And the male when the dog is female and vis versa will stick with you as well no matter the precautions you take to blatently point out that a bright pink leash and collar likely means the dog is probably a girl.
                  I remember when kumah was little she mistaken for a dalmation and wiemeriner. Lol. It gets old quick but we just gotta take it in stride. Lol.
                  Surprisingly, no one has mistaken Finn for a weim, but he did get mistaken for a blue pit bull . My aunt also asked if we were going to race him (assuming she thought greyhound)

Originally posted by lisacp75 View Post
                  You are just not doing this right at all!!! Asaah needs some bling on her pink collar and leash - some sparkly rhinestones at the very least! Pink and purple LED type lights are great too. She should also be sporting a sparkly tutu with sequins and glitter at all times. LMAO!
                  Paco Collars is having a 20% off sale for Black Friday, so she's getting a collar all blinged out in Pink!! I had to work a few extra Saturday's to pay for it. Hubby kiboshed the tutu though
                  sigpic
                  Chaucey
                  Asaah ~ xxx Asaah LaLa, CGC, registered therapy dog

Comment

I once saw an unaltered, very obviously MALE standard poodle that was dyed bright pink. Didnt even know what to say!
                    sigpicSharon, wife, mom to two humans, one Boston terrier in training for therapy work, and Max, rescue Dane working through his own issues but definitely worked his way into my heart!

Comment

We use to get the Weimaraner comments all the time when Kakarot was younger. To be fair to them he was a lighter blue and small enough to pass for one. Now most people get it right and I am surprised at the number of youngers kid, probably 10 years old or younger, who ask if he is a Great Dane.

Common misconception people always make, big dogs must be boys and small dogs must be girls. Our two little ones are always assumed to be girls.

Comment

Ha! I once got "Oh, is he a Weimaraner? Look, he has the very same face as my dog" from an old lady at the dog park.
                        This was after she asked how old Gracie was (6 months), after I mentioned that she was a female, and despite the fact that she was significantly taller than her Weimaraner. Also, my puppy is black.
                        Lol!
                        sigpic
                        “Saving one dog will not change the world, but surely for that one dog, the world will change forever.”

Comment

Originally posted by b3av3r View Post
                          We use to get the Weimaraner comments all the time when Kakarot was younger. To be fair to them he was a lighter blue and small enough to pass for one. Now most people get it right and I am surprised at the number of youngers kid, probably 10 years old or younger, who ask if he is a Great Dane.

Common misconception people always make, big dogs must be boys and small dogs must be girls. Our two little ones are always assumed to be girls.
                          As if the gender roles people assign to humans aren't bad enough, the ones they put on animals can be down right stupid. I once had somebody tell me only bulls have horns, cows cannot. Say what?!?!

Sent from my MB886 using Tapatalk
                          sigpic
                          Fergus
                          SC Dinnie Stone Guardian, CGC
                          Eisen Shark
                          C Shadows On The Sun, CGC

Comment

This stupid vet tech at our vet's office keeps commenting "Duke is such a pretty dobbie" I guess a larger dog with up ears must be a dobbie?!?! I dunno, but I usually correct him and we had been in there enough it seems like he would know by know, not to mention he is larger than a full size dobbie now (height and weight), and his face would have to be a really poorly bred dobbie with lots of lip?!?!
                            sigpic
                            Duke - 5/13/14

Learn from yesterday, live for today, hope for tomorrow.
                            - Albert Einstein

Comment

My favorite is when they question you if you are sure your dog is a great dane and not a dalmatian/pitbull.

"really?! a great dane? are you sure?!"

Comment

Working...
                              X