"Guard dog"

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• "Guard dog"

I recently relocated to an area that is less than desirable after 6 years of being obsessed my Dane boy is not quite the watchdog I hoped for, I try to encourage and praise warning barks but he seems to enjoy being passed out sleeping lol any tips?

Also p.s. He is completely knocked out snoring on my lap and hiccuping like a mad man!
    sigpic
    Wally - 5/16/2014 (Fawn Male)

I'd bet he'll surprise you. When you least expect it he will spring into action, out from a dead sleep. Barking and snarling like the most vicious animal on earth warning off the second most vicious animal on earth. Of course now, keep in mind, the serious threat he's alerting you to might be an intruder like a WalMart bag. Or something even more dangerous...like wind chimes.

Comment

Our girls will often do that -- jump out of a seemingly comatose sleep (in the basement rec room where we spend almost all our time) and run upstairs barking like maniacs. There's usually nothing, but sometimes it's a visitor or a car driving by or someone out on a run. And we live pretty far back from the road. I don't think you have to worry about him sleeping through something serious like a break in...
      Caitlin &
      REMY {weimaraner}
      LULA {dane}
      OBERYN {newf}
      CONNER {kitty}

Comment

As long as Fergus isn't in bed and passed out for the night, he will bark and growl and be a total badass for any and all potential threats to his home. This includes pizza deliveries, UPS, pedestrians, real estate signs, squirrels, the neighbors yard guy, etc. He's willing to face all those horrid dangers for me. <3

But on a serious note, he will normally sleep through most anything but a door knock. However if my husband is gone (he travels a good bit for work) then Fergus takes the "man of the house" role very seriously. He's alerted me to smoke (turned out to be nothing, but still) and shady characters around the house. They surprise you when you least expect it.

Sent from my MB886 using Tapatalk
        sigpic
        Fergus
        SC Dinnie Stone Guardian, CGC
        Eisen Shark
        C Shadows On The Sun, CGC

Comment

I think Egon would have protected us with his life, even though he NEVER gave any indication of aggression or "guard dog tendencies". I think he was just well trained and well behaved, and trusted us to make the call as to whether someone was friend or foe. He would stand behind me whenever I opened the door for deliveries, salespeople, etc, and I knew that if they'd meant any harm, Egon would have done whatever he could to protect us. He never barked at people, or growled at them, but he made his presence known. I honestly believe that's the way you want them to be... present (because their size IS intimidating, even as pups), but not aggressive or confrontational unless the situation genuinely calls for it.
          sigpic
          Lucy, rescued 5/16/15
          Egon 1/7/07-3/22/14- loved and missed

Comment

I look at it a bit differently maybe but I am very happy when my dogs do not alert bark or show any guarding tendencies. Their size alone (and being a dog in general) is often deterrent enough. However, I would much rather them sleep through a robbery then get it wrong and bite a worker...or try to guard and get hurt/shot in the process.

Comment

I forgot to add- even when Ferg is in full on "guard dog" mode, he still prefers to hide behind me lol. He's just not fond of strangers on his turf without our permission, and I am 100% okay with that.

Sent from my MB886 using Tapatalk
              sigpic
              Fergus
              SC Dinnie Stone Guardian, CGC
              Eisen Shark
              C Shadows On The Sun, CGC

Comment

Originally posted by Greenmagick View Post
                I look at it a bit differently maybe but I am very happy when my dogs do not alert bark or show any guarding tendencies. Their size alone (and being a dog in general) is often deterrent enough. However, I would much rather them sleep through a robbery then get it wrong and bite a worker...or try to guard and get hurt/shot in the process.
                I have to agree. Mouse alert barks...and it gets SO old. Every bicycle rider has to be warned to just keep going! Every car pulling in or slowing down, every car door slam, tractors, walkers. We are to the point where I can say "thank you Mouse, good boy" and he hushes, but it took years and lots of reinforcing a few alert barks, then being quiet. It was quite a reach for Mouse's little brain to understand what was acceptable--lol!
                Tracy
                sigpic
                Mouse April 2010
                Echo -- run free, Sweetie! Jan 9, 2007 - April 24, 2014 Lost to osteosarcoma at 7 years, 3 months. RIP.

Comment

I don't mind alert barking, except for the annoyance to my ears. And no, I would never expect my dogs to protect me from a threat. Rather, its the other way around. But hey, if 4 Danes barking deters a thief from breaking into my home in the middle of the night - I'm all for it!

Some don't like Great Danes with prey drive. I do! When directed properly, it's a wonderful thing. I prefer motivated over non-motivated any day. (And yes I know there are other forms of motivation)

These dogs were originally bred to be Estate Guards and Boar Hunters. Granted, it has been lost or bred out of many of them. And there is nothing wrong with that in a home that doesn't want their Dane to guard or hunt.

But I will say that I have found many Danes that actively work in Performance events DO have prey drive (not so sure about alert barking, I've never asked). It is their desire/motivation to work that makes them so successful in Performance.

Not sure how I sidetracked into prey drive when the topic was on alert barking. Other than I guess both are working characteristics that this breed was originally bred for...
                  *Jennifer*
                  Member GDC of Mid-Florida
                  sigpic

Comment

I should add...my dogs do alert bark and likely would guard. Ivy especially is very aware of new things, different things, and takes patrolling the yard seriously. Dont get me wrong, she is not aggressive but I would not put it past her to corner someone and alert if she felt they shouldnt be there. But because of that I am hyper aware of her and on guard myself making sure she never makes a mistake, if that makes sense? We did a lot of work on :say hi" as a puppy and adolescent (and still do it) when people come up to the fence, have her watch me open the gate and allow people in (or the door if we are inside) etc.

I dont mind alert barking either BUT I am quite happy if they figure out what is actually a threat. Qcumber barks at everything....especially the delivery trucks as they go down the street, the mailman, joggers, dogs walking by, too many leaves blowing in the wind lol. Ivy is usually more judicious in her barking so when she does it I take it as something that needs to be checked out (although she also notices small differences more and alerts to them, like a new sign or a bag we have out for pick up lol)

And yes, I dont mind prey drive at all...gives you their motivation to channel!
                    Last edited by Greenmagick; 08-04-2014, 10:02 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by Greenmagick View Post
                      But because of that I am hyper aware of her and on guard myself making sure she never makes a mistake, if that makes sense?

Makes perfect sense to me! That is our job as their owners, show them what is acceptable behavior and make sure that there are never "mistakes".

That is one of the things I liked about the Temperament Test. As much as it was testing the dog's reaction to various stimuli, it was also testing their ability to DIFFERENTIATE between non-threats (greeting a stranger), possible threats (stranger approaching and shaking pail full of rocks), and real threats (drunk staggering man in trench coat swinging/cracking a lunge whip as they charged us). Some dogs can do this naturally and some dogs need a little direction during their training/socializing to get it right.
                      *Jennifer*
                      Member GDC of Mid-Florida
                      sigpic

Comment

My main point is though that dogs dont have to be on guard or showy about it to still be a deterrent. For many people, the behaviors that are considered protective behaviors actually arent and can lead to trouble.

Comment

The barking more often than not prompts "danger, stranger" to ask if she will bite. I never say no, always say, "only if she thinks you're a threat."
                          They never ask what a threat looks like, but they obviously try not to look like one.
                          And, that's all fine with me.

Friends, I tell them she won't bite and I tell her they are friends. She thinks everybody came here just to play with her. Soon as I open the gate and let "friends" in she starts bringing them toys and trying to sit on their lap.

Comment

Titan does alert barks (1-2 barks and then looks to me for his next cue) in the house, and when he does I always check it out. He doesn't bother with those walking past our house... or the kids on their toys however they come in the yard and off the sidewalk he is quick to let me know.

When we are out and about he does not alert or react to people of various stimuli, if something startles him he jumps, looks and then is quiet and carries on.

However, at night time he is a completely different dog... he is vigilant during his potty breaks and if there is someone he alerts (no sounds) just cues me in to watch them. so far only one time has he "guarded" it was unknown at the time that it was a neighbor that was walking his dog but to both of us they looked like a man was hiding in the bushes.... he did his normal stand at attention and once I saw the "threat" I cued him to watch them and he did just that....he let us both know that he was a big dog and didn't back down until I saw who it was and gave the command to "de-activate the protective mode" as soon as the command was given the neighbor and his dog DEBO were able to pass without much attention to them. I however do not expect him to Protect me, but he at least give the would be offender a warning and I'm sure a glimpse of a second thought about approaching us.
                            sigpic
                            Mom of 3 dogs & 4 small humans
                            Titan - GD
                            Thor - GD RIP 12/28/13 6/1/14
                            Finnegan - Mini Schnauzer
                            Cookie - Mini Schnauzer

Comment

Thunder I think alerts bark at everything. Sometimes I catch him barking with his head in his bowl. With a mouth full of meat. He eats raw so if you in front of him you might get hit with debris.

Comment

Working...
                              X