Kong issues

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Kong issues

Finn seems to be having some issues with his Kong. I've been stuffing it with a mix of peanut butter and kibble, carrots, apples, or whatever else and giving it to him frozen in his crate while I see patients in the morning. He is consistently getting only half of the stuffing out of there (from the bigger bottom end). I'm using the large size. Does anyone else's Dane have trouble getting all the stuff out? Should I just only fill the bottom half or do I need a bigger size? I'm tired of wasting peanut butter.
    sigpic
    Chaucey
    Asaah ~ xxx Asaah LaLa, CGC, registered therapy dog

Kumah doesn't and hasn't had any issues but try giving it to him without freezing it just to see if that's why he's unable to get it all out. I give them to Kumah both frozen and not frozen and she loves it either way and it still takes a while for her to finish so it's worth a try??
    Last edited by Kumah; 08-02-2014, 10:05 AM.
    ~Kelsey, mom to~
    Kumah-merle Great Dane 4 years
    Nala-fawn Great Dane 2 months
    Cece- Calico 4 years
    Sammy- Black Domestic Long Hair 3 years
    Tyke- 4 months

Comment

Might be losing interest or just too much work, one of my dogs doesn't grasp frozen kongs at all and ignores them. Maybe try stuffing with something else, that seems like a lot of peanut butter to give all the time, some canned food or applesauce or something like honest kitchen food might be better for him and easier to get out.

Comment

He's had it unfrozen and still left half of it. The first one I put some kibble and a few treats, then peanut butter...he ate the pb and left the rest. So I tried pb mixed with carrots, and he still ate only half. He has only had it a few days over the last 2 weeks. He's only crated on the few days that hubby and I both work during the week (he's a student, out for the summer). I'll try canned food and see what happens. He seems to love them. I thought maybe his tongue couldn't reach it!
        sigpic
        Chaucey

Comment

Titan has no interest in a regular kong, stuffed or otherwise... However we got this made by kong and I stuff a square treat in the round hole and makes it challenging he got the treats out not too fast but hasn't put it down for about 2 hours now!!!

I'm assuming you could stuff this with all your treats, and freeze so your pup gets variety but doesn't lose interest or have such a hard time getting all the treats

ImageUploadedByTapatalk1407009290.744623.jpg
          sigpic
          Mom of 3 dogs & 4 small humans
          Titan - GD
          Thor - GD RIP 12/28/13 6/1/14
          Finnegan - Mini Schnauzer
          Cookie - Mini Schnauzer

Comment

[ATTACH]17842[/ATTACH][ATTACH]17843[/ATTACH]
            sigpic
            Mom of 3 dogs & 4 small humans
            Titan - GD
            Thor - GD RIP 12/28/13 6/1/14
            Finnegan - Mini Schnauzer
            Cookie - Mini Schnauzer

Comment

A quick thought...does he only get to have the Kong in the crate? Does he ever get to bring it out and fling it around? Flinging it around to knock out all the goodies is the highlight of the experience!!

Do you notice that he is only licking at it and not actually chewing it? Zia gets a good jaw workout now, but when she was young, her bite wasn't as strong. Now she chews and breaks up the larger pieces so that they can fall out.

It's funny how "occupiers" like Kongs can be intellectually stimulating. Zia has become the master of how to make the most of her Kong. If it's especially difficult to get out, she will finally come and plop it in my lap!

I love this particular toy - the Orbee Tuff Eggplant. It was the perfect strength (durability level) for her to really get her jaw chewing on it. I LOVE, LOVE this one!

Good luck!!!
              sigpic

Comment

I do usually reserve the kong for crate time. He gets bones and bully sticks outside and other chews inside. Maybe I'll give him his kong tomorrow out of the crate and see what happens. I'd try it now, but we went to a coworker's house to ride and he is all tuckered out after meeting kids, horses, and chickens!
                sigpic
                Chaucey

Comment

Working...
                X