"Don't they die really young?"

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• "Don't they die really young?"

Not a Dane owner yet, but every time I talk about Great Danes, that's one of the first things someone says to me. Irritates me to no end and I see it getting worse (for me emotionally, not as in people will ask more frequently) once I have my Dane and I'm actually emotionally attached to this specific dog.

I understand Danes attract attention and a lot of "smart" comments and some questions and I'm okay with that. I just see "don't they live really short lives?" as a rude question. Yeah, and did you know some human beings with certain disorders/syndromes/etc live short lives? Doesn't make us love them less, doesn't make the parents want to "give them up".

Lol I understand that it's a bit silly that I'm so worked up over something like this. I want your guyses opinion of this "phenomenon". How do you usually handle questions like these about your furbabies? Just for fun, how do you handle the attention your dog gets in public and the common questions you get?

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
    sigpic

Not all of them. Some live 10-12+ years. Look for a responsible breeder who breeds for longevity!

Comment

Depends on how tolerant I'm feeling. Sometimes I smile and nod. Sometimes I come up with some less than sweet responses. That also depends on whether or not it's a repetitive comment (saddle, anyone?) or something rude like telling me my dog will be dead next year. If the people don't come across as total closed minded tools I like to try and educate them at least a little bit about buying from a good breeder or rescuing vs BYB.

Sent from my MB886 using Tapatalk
      sigpic
      Fergus
      SC Dinnie Stone Guardian, CGC
      Eisen Shark
      C Shadows On The Sun, CGC

Comment

Depends on how the question is asked. I've had people say things like "aww too bad you'll only have him for a few years", "you only get 5-7 years out them, right?", "I couldn't imagine buying a dog that dies so young", etc and I usually go into a mini rant about how it's BYB dogs that bring that age average down and how well bred danes really don't have a different lifespan than any other large breed dog. If people are kinder and generally curious then I'm nicer about it. My friend had an eye opening experience when she asked me very delicately if I had any idea how long Zephyr will be with me and I told her that because of his poor breeding he could live to be 12 or he could drop dead tomorrow of a heart defect etc because his parents weren't health tested and I have no idea what his relatives passed from.
        Zephyr CGN, RE, TT- crazy harlequin
        Divine Acres Riddle Me This- regal fawn

http://thegrownups.ca/ on life and (not) growing up.

Comment

I volunteer with dane rescue and that is a question we get often. When they hear (or see) my own dane is 9, I get the automated "awwe" response as if he's going to die tomorrow. :P I simply tell them that actually, the average age for a dane is 10-12, PROVIDED the dog is healthy. With better understanding of health, nutrition, and genetics the dogs are living longer.
          sigpic

Chris, mom to: Keiko--husky/shep mix (RIP), Gunther--great dane, Nigel and Posey--rat terriers, Pasta--cockatiel, Louigi--peach fronted conure, Hamlet--blue crowned conure

Comment

I get this all the time as well.. "you do know they only live about 7 years right?"

it is frustrating... I saw a post on here a while back and use it and it works... I cover Titans ears and say "shhhhhh don;t let him know that" or I start frantically looking all over his body for an expiration date... these are more for the smarta$$ comments... those that ask " I heard they live short lives is this true" then I give them a more genuine answer, and as stated above a chance to educate a little better. I remind them that there are several that live 10-12+ years, the importance of feeding good food, taking a year of more before running or putting stress on their bones, and buying from a reputable breeder and not just looking them up on google, craigslist etc. I also throw in there that if he does only live for 7 years I promise to give him the BEST 7 years of his life...
            sigpic
            Mom of 3 dogs & 4 small humans
            Titan - GD
            Thor - GD RIP 12/28/13 6/1/14
            Finnegan - Mini Schnauzer
            Cookie - Mini Schnauzer

Comment

Thanks for sharing your experiences everyone! I'll try to take this opportunity to inform people who aren't aware of how drastically different their lifespan could be if they come from healthy parents/genes, raised with good food, etc.

Titan3151, I reaaally like your responses. Covering his ears, looking for an expiration date. On my bad days, I'm TOTALLY going to do that, look them dead in the face, then walk away. muahahaha!
              sigpic

Comment

I've just straight up said "That's a pretty rude thing to say, don't you think?" when people are being obnoxious about it. Otherwise, I usually take it as an opportunity to explain about responsible vs irresponsible breeding, good nutrition, etc. Most of the people who say something are my patients, so I have to be nice to them
                Last edited by oshagcj914; 07-07-2014, 07:01 PM.
                sigpic
                Chaucey
                Asaah ~ xxx Asaah LaLa, CGC, registered therapy dog

Comment

My first dane Justice, a rescue, lived to be 12 and it was basic arthritis in his spine that eventually robbed him of his mobility. My second dane Echo, a rescue, lived to be seven--but she died from bone cancer and her awful breeder's lines are full of cancer. My current dane, Mouse (a re-homed BYB bred dog) has arthritis in his elbows at four years old. It will probably slow him down a little sooner than normal, but with supplements and joint support, it's not life threatening.

When people give me that line, I tell them Justice lived to be 12 and was healthy other than his skeletal issues (that usually shuts them up), and that research has given us a better understanding of giant breed care and responsible breeders know that longevity is super important and are focusing on that trait.
                  Tracy
                  sigpic
                  Mouse April 2010
                  Echo -- run free, Sweetie! Jan 9, 2007 - April 24, 2014 Lost to osteosarcoma at 7 years, 3 months. RIP.

Comment

Most people don't know enough about great danes except a few things that gets repeated over and over such as their life span, or that they are all gentle giants, etc. Most of the time, they are just trying to interact with you about your beautiful dog and can't come up with much more than what they have heard and are just repeating. A lot of times, they just don't think before they speak and they don't realize what they are saying. I don't pay them no mind.

Truth be told, a lot of them do die young. Way younger than they should. Our breed tends to be riddled with significant health issues and if they have time and you're interested, it's a good time to explain to them that a lifetime of good and PROPER nutrition goes a long way, buying from a reputable breeder with a solid line of longevity / good health and perhaps even doing preventable procedures like a gastropexy.

Most of the time I either just smile and nod or I'll cover Phin's ears and gasp loudly or I'll simply just say, "Look at the amazing dog I'll have for all those years too!" A couple times since Sparrow had mentioned what she says, I've said, "I've checked him all over and I just can't find his expiration date!" People laugh.

More often than not, I get people that tell me how long their dane (or a dane they knew) did live instead of how short the lifespan is. I like hearing about the seniors!
                    Last edited by Angel7292; 07-08-2014, 09:58 AM.
                    sigpic

Comment

angel,

your post is the one that I started doing and sometimes it goes as intended a way to break the tension and give just enough light hearted relief to actually talk about the issue at hand...
                      sigpic
                      Mom of 3 dogs & 4 small humans
                      Titan - GD
                      Thor - GD RIP 12/28/13 6/1/14
                      Finnegan - Mini Schnauzer
                      Cookie - Mini Schnauzer

Comment

I tell them its the same as with any other breed, proper care can make a big difference. Yes, they bloat, yes they get cancer, but many live a decent amount of time. My Venus had to be euthanized at 11 years old. I know many smaller dogs that never made it to that age and were in far worse condition for far longer. The oldest living dogs can make it to 20+, most dogs, of any breed, won't make it anywhere close to that. Honestly I don't know that German shepherds, Rottweiler's or golden retrievers have a much longer life span then a Dane. At least I rarely meet an 11 year old in any of those breeds. I mean really, what difference is a couple of years.
                        Michele
                        Mom to: Angel huskyx (3/15/2001), Lestat labx (12/1/2001), Mystra beaglex (04/01/2005), Merlin airedale (08/01/2012)
                        RIP my loves:
                        Isis (dane) (7/1/2005-11/5/2011), Venus (dane) (9/1/02-06/24/13)

Comment

I posted about this a while back; you should take a look. Some of the responses are HILARIOUS

The rude people get my thanks for putting a time clock on my dog's life, while the 'just curious' people get a brief response unless they ask for more. Don't let it bother you. [emoji4]

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
                          -- Katelyn

sigpic
                          Apollo

Comment

I'm way past due on digging a hole if I listen to the comments of some people, But I have met alot of Danes in the 8 to 11 year age. Even seem one that was extremely overweight that was 10 and still playing and having fun.

Comment

We had one die at 6 years after sudden seizures and another live to 14. Our 14 year old never had an issue... he was going strong until the day my wife (she had him since a pup and before I ever came along) left town on a business trip and he decided that was a good time to go. He was a big, strong old man and I held him in my lap when he went (same with our 6 year old).

We have Boomer now is isn't quite 2 and just had bloat surgery. I'm convinced he will live forever Then again, I felt the same with the others. To me, 2, 7 or 14 years with a Dane is worth a lifetime with any other dog. They are just special animals. I don't think I could own any other breed now that I've had Danes.

Comment

Working...
                              X