Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 1.5 year update

Hey everybody,
    Well, here's our 1.5 year old update. Tomorrow Kumah will be a year and a half old... crazy I know. Its seems like it was yesterday when I introduced myself and my little girl. She is in perfect health and her weight has stayed consistent at 94lbs. Her fear of men hasn't really gotten any better and in fact has been getting progressively worse and she has now begun to be fearful of all strangers. We still go to my sisters' soccer games and I keep a much more watchful eye on the people around us. If someone asks to pet her I tell them not to go over her head and to let her smell them first. I in most cases have treats with me so I give them some to give to her. Otherwise when we are near men or if a man walks by us I give her tons of praise and jackpot treats for sitting still and not reacting to them, in hopes that she will associate men/strangers with yummy treats/praise. Now that it's summer and it's finally in the upper 70's-low 80's every day we have been getting out more and seeing the sights. Although that was put on hold as she just finished her second heat cycle. She will be going to her first baseball game on Tuesday for bark in the park night and we are going to the beach tomorrow. Here are some recent pictures of our outings.

Thanks for taking a peak at our update.
    ~Kelsey, mom to~
    Kumah-merle Great Dane 4 years
    Nala-fawn Great Dane 2 months
    Cece- Calico 4 years
    Sammy- Black Domestic Long Hair 3 years
    Tyke- 4 months

Awww... Happy 1 and 1/2 birthday Kumah! Such a pretty girl and looking good!
    sigpic

Comment

She is beautiful.
      I always wondered why some dogs have a fear/aggression of men? We had a dog that was that way except for me and a few of my friends.
      My daughters could not have boys over but their girlfriends were fine.

Comment

Thank you guys. I have been baffled about her fear of men since it started when she was just a pup. We worked on it and it got better, but this past winter was brutal and we spent most of our time inside so she kind of lost that interaction with new people so we are having to pretty much start from scratch but her fear has progressed so it has been a challenge.
        ~Kelsey, mom to~
        Cece- Calico 4 years
        Tyke- 4 months

Comment

Happy 1 1/2 bDay Kumah!!! I hope she gets over her fear. I know Jax was afraid of certain people but has gotten over that thankfully. It was rough. Now he just has to approach everyone and then falls in love. Hopefully in time sweet Kumah will be the same way. She reminds me so much of Jax who just turned 18 months as well! I have no clue what he weighs but looks similar in build. I do know he is almost 36" tall. He just grew another inch in the last month!!!

I love all the pictures.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk 2
          sigpic
          Paula
          Mom to Zeus 10/6/2005
          Jackson 12/8/2012

Comment

Originally posted by pfrantz77 View Post
            Happy 1 1/2 bDay Kumah!!! I hope she gets over her fear. I know Jax was afraid of certain people but has gotten over that thankfully. It was rough. Now he just has to approach everyone and then falls in love. Hopefully in time sweet Kumah will be the same way. She reminds me so much of Jax who just turned 18 months as well! I have no clue what he weighs but looks similar in build. I do know he is almost 36" tall. He just grew another inch in the last month!!!

I love all the pictures.

I stay hopeful that with our consistent work and as she matures this fear will subside.
            P.s. as for her and Jax looking alike that is always what I thought. Lol. Every time I see you post your signature picture reminds me so much of Kumah. Especially the bottom right picture. They could be related. Haha. Jax is so handsome.
            ~Kelsey, mom to~
            Cece- Calico 4 years
            Tyke- 4 months

Comment

Well here's just another update, and I have some remarkable knews. Kumah is cured, lol. She now goes up to any and everyone actually seeking attention. Its amazing. No matter where we are when she sees someone, man, woman, or child she walks right up to them wanting them to pet her. I don't know if it was just a phase or what but she is not showing any signs of fear around people at all anymore. It has really made our outings so much more enjoyable not having to explain to everyone that she's fearful of men. Now don't get me wrong there's been 1 or 2 people shes still been wary of but she has done a complete 180. She now even goes up to my brother and my stepdad (the two people I thought would never win her over, as she has almost bitten them both) and she gives them kisses and stands right by them for pets. It really is amazing. I'm so happy proud of her.

This is completely unrelated but I figured since I'm already writing a post then what the hay
              As some of you know my recent attempt at adding a second dog did not go as planned. And I told Kumah that maybe well wait on the second dog for now and I'd get her a kitty instead. Well last Sunday I added these two bundles of joy to our home. I had a black longhaired cat when I was little that passed away at just 4 years old from what the vet explained to my parents as a heart attack. Anyways I'm always wanted to get another black longhaired cat and I found these two kittens so instead of just taking one I decided I'd take both. They have been a joy and I had their names picked out before we made it home. So without further ado here are Kumahs new best friends Lizzy and Paisley.

~Kelsey, mom to~
              Cece- Calico 4 years
              Tyke- 4 months

Comment

So happy to hear Kumah is doing better! Love the kitties. Once our house is finished I told Jax I will get him a cat/kitten. Just not sure which. Our humane society has many of both so I have a lot to pick from. Since Jax and Kumah are about the same age I am curious how she did being introduced? That part scares me! The only time Jax has been around a cat, he didn't realize it was even there. He sniffed it and walked away. That was about 6 months ago.

Congrats on the babies!!!

sigpic
                Paula
                Mom to Zeus 10/6/2005
                Jackson 12/8/2012

Comment

She took to the kittens very well. When I first got her I actually already had 3 other cats. All adults that she became buddies with and would take naps with. When I moved to a smaller apt I didn't think I would have enough room for them all, and I couldnt just pick one too keep so I rehome them. I now am kicking myself in the you know what because those cats were my first babies. I adore them and still think about them all the time. But anyways I think that is partly why she took to them as well as she did. I mean it hasn't even been a week and they curl up for naps together. They play together (sorta). More like the kitties play together and Kumah follows them around hoping she can get in on the playtime. Lol. What I did the first few days is put a baby gate on the bathroom door and I kept them in there while I was at work for the first oh I'd say 4 days. And then yesterday I thought I'd see how they'd do being out free roaming for the day. I keep Kumah in my bedroom just with a baby gate on the door. Both baby gates are raise just enough off the ground that the kittens can run under it and get away from Kumah if need be (she gets a little over excited around them sometimes. Lol) when I feed Kumah I keep her in the bedroom for an hour so she can rest her tummy but now also so I can have some playtime with the kitties. Its been a very smooth transition overall though.
                  P.s. sorry for the book. I get carried away sometimes and go into more detail then really necessary. Lol.
                  ~Kelsey, mom to~
                  Cece- Calico 4 years
                  Tyke- 4 months

Comment

WTG Team Kumah! Glad she's making such great progress!

I have to say that in the first kitty pic...that sure does look like DOUBLE TROUBLE! Glad they are doing so well together!
                    sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by NMDane View Post
                      WTG Team Kumah! Glad she's making such great progress!

I have to say that in the first kitty pic...that sure does look like DOUBLE TROUBLE! Glad they are doing so well together!
                      Yes I couldn't believe a couple weeks ago we were at a soccer game and this guy walked right up to up to us and asked me what kind of dog she is and Kumah went straight up to him and let him pet her over the top of the head. It was amazing.

As for the kitties, that first picture was the first day I brought them home. Kumah was going nuts as these two black "things" we're running all over the place, sometimes in different directions so she'd look at me like what do I do? Lol. I was never really worried about Kumah biting them or anything, I'm more worried about her accidentally stepping on them. Which has only happened once so far. But I just tell her to "be gentle" and she does. Their all so cute when the kitties are playing and Kumah has her nose right in their faces like, what are you doing? Lol. It certainly has made my household much more active with these two monsters running around. Lol.
                      ~Kelsey, mom to~
                      Cece- Calico 4 years
                      Tyke- 4 months

Comment

Originally posted by Kumah View Post
                        She took to the kittens very well. When I first got her I actually already had 3 other cats. All adults that she became buddies with and would take naps with. When I moved to a smaller apt I didn't think I would have enough room for them all, and I couldnt just pick one too keep so I rehome them. I now am kicking myself in the you know what because those cats were my first babies. I adore them and still think about them all the time. But anyways I think that is partly why she took to them as well as she did. I mean it hasn't even been a week and they curl up for naps together. They play together (sorta). More like the kitties play together and Kumah follows them around hoping she can get in on the playtime. Lol. What I did the first few days is put a baby gate on the bathroom door and I kept them in there while I was at work for the first oh I'd say 4 days. And then yesterday I thought I'd see how they'd do being out free roaming for the day. I keep Kumah in my bedroom just with a baby gate on the door. Both baby gates are raise just enough off the ground that the kittens can run under it and get away from Kumah if need be (she gets a little over excited around them sometimes. Lol) when I feed Kumah I keep her in the bedroom for an hour so she can rest her tummy but now also so I can have some playtime with the kitties. Its been a very smooth transition overall though.
                        P.s. sorry for the book. I get carried away sometimes and go into more detail then really necessary. Lol.
                        Yay Kumah! This makes me hopeful that my kitties will get along with Finn some day...maybe when he is older, sigh. The cats are both 5 and have not really had any dog experience before this, and now there is a big monster puppy living in their house . He has been smacked by both of them (they have claws), and has learned to give them some space.
                        sigpic
                        Chaucey
                        Asaah ~ xxx Asaah LaLa, CGC, registered therapy dog

Comment

Working...
                        X