Concerned.

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Concerned.

I know I have brought this up before, but I am very concerned.

Every single time Apollo goes to sleep, and I mean EVERY time, he has dreams that make him wine, growl, bark, tremble, kick, run, and shake to the point where he wakes me up if I'm asleep, and keeps me up until I wake him.

Ohkay, cool. He has dreams. But after this morning, I'm concerned.

He was dreaming, just like he normally does, and woke me up around 4:30 this morning, so I was groggy, but the next part had me wide awake. I laid my hand on his head to try and pet him and calm him, like I usually do, but he snapped up, wide awake, and started screaming like he was being murdered. It took me about a full minute-minute and a half to calm him and get him to quiet down. I have since checked him over and watched his every move to be sure he was okay; I even stayed home from work today!

He seems completely normal, and I wasn't laying on any part of him, so I'm thinking this must have been one hell of a nightmare.

Has anyone ever dealt with this?

I just can't believe something this severe could be normal.
    -- Katelyn

sigpic
    Apollo

I remember your posts earlier. I'm sorry this has got you so worried and I wish I had something really profound to say.

Hopefully, somebody will have something helpful for you and your baby.

Comment

I'm guessing just a bad dream? My dogs have sounded crazy when sleeping - like they are a part of a WWF wrestling match! It sounds odd that it took more than a few minutes to calm him down but depending on which stage of sleep he was in, how dark it was, etc etc it might be totally normal. Don't stress too much - I would be more worried if this happened wide awake in the middle of the day.
      Lisa Zoomer's mom
      -Lisa (Zoomer's mom)

Comment

Originally posted by lisacp75 View Post
        I'm guessing just a bad dream? My dogs have sounded crazy when sleeping - like they are a part of a WWF wrestling match! It sounds odd that it took more than a few minutes to calm him down but depending on which stage of sleep he was in, how dark it was, etc etc it might be totally normal. Don't stress too much - I would be more worried if this happened wide awake in the middle of the day.
        Lisa Zoomer's mom
        I usually would've written this off as a bad dream, but he was awake when he started screaming.. Just really weird..
        -- Katelyn

sigpic
        Apollo

Comment

Trust me when I say this is "normal". Keoki did and still does the same thing with the running, twitching, and woofing in his sleep. I have done about as much research as one could possibly do and arrived at the determination that most dogs go through this. Its not only Danes that experience this either and all dogs have different levels of severity than others. Rest assured that this happens more times than not and I am pretty sure Apollo is just going through a phase. The good news is all the articles I read said that your dog will eventually grow out of this but all dogs are different so it could be 6 months, a year, 5 years? No one ever really knows but I am pretty sure Apollo is medically fine. I bet it scares you and you wouldnt be the good mom you are to him if you didnt care. Its evident by you missing work!

Preston

Comment

its concerning but it is normal....

the part about him waking up screaming, was probably fear from his dream to awakening... think about a dream that you had that was bad and then you woke up and started crying.... you were awake but the dream followed/haunted you after you woke up.

like in his dream it was just about the time that the big bad something was about to get him and just then you placed your hand on his head and ripped him out of sleep but in the cloudiness of the dream thought that mommy's loving hand was actually the big bad bear getting him.

hugs my friend...
            it's the joys of Puppy-hood
            sigpic
            Mom of 3 dogs & 4 small humans
            Titan - GD
            Thor - GD RIP 12/28/13 6/1/14
            Finnegan - Mini Schnauzer
            Cookie - Mini Schnauzer

Comment

I haven't had this happen with Minnie yet - other than some loud snoring and occasional interesting noises, but my old GSD Bella use to make all kinds of crazy sounds, noises, whines while sleeping. Never had her crying for that long after waking up...but Apollo is young and who knows what he was dreaming about.

Pretty sure he is fine!

Now enjoy your day off with him

Comment

Hmmm? I wonder if dogs could get night terrors.

One of my twin daughters would have them when she was about 2 and it would scare the heck out of me. One time in particular was really bad. She woke up crying, screaming. She was awake but her eyes seemed glazed and she was not making any sense. Once she really woke up, she was fine and was able to be soothed back to sleep. I swear it seemed like she was having a seizure or something. We did mention it to her doctor and she confirmed that they were just night terrors. We noticed that she would have them if she was overly tired. She eventually outgrew them.

Maybe dogs can get night terrors too. Worth a google search. Hope your pup outgrows it!
                sigpic

Comment

Dogs can have sleep disorders, so it might not be normal.

Search for videos, I believe it was a yellow lab and I'm pretty sure he had some kind of disorder. There was a video of him that went viral, where he is running in his sleep. Upon waking, he continues running and slams into a wall. It is kind of funny but sad at the same time.

Comment

Only one of our 3 danes did this when he slept. In fact my husband and I got him as a wedding present to ourselves. The night of the wedding my best friend kept him. Clydes "sleeping" kept her awake all night! She thought he was having a fit. It was worse, crying, panting, barking when he was a puppy, especially if he was having a growth spurt. As an adult he still had the craziest dreams, barking, running, wagging his tail so hard it woke everyone else in the house up, but he didn't cry out as much. The year before he died, at 10.5 yrs old, we always joked that he was still a puppy in his dreams chasing rabbits like he didn't have bad hips!
                    I wouldn't worry about it too much. We just tried not to wake Clyde up. He usually woke himself up barking or eventually would just quiet down as the dream changed.
                    sigpicAndre post run, and ready for more!
                    Loki 7/2002-3/2013
                    Clyde 3/2003-8/2013
                    Andre ~5/2006
                    Bob the cat

Comment

My juno will full put HOWL in her sleep. It scares the absolute crap out of me when she does it and it wakes me up. I am sure he is fine.

Sent from my SGH-I337M using Tapatalk

Comment

Phineas, at 3 years old, is STILL an extreme active dreamer. If he is sleeping, he is dreaming. Everything from full runs (think 4 legs galloping with full extension), to twitches, barking, growling, howling and my favorite, the happy tail wag. Just last week, he woke me up with this hammering sound. His tail was in full wag mode and hitting the wood foot board of my bed. Not slight... I'm talking full on bang, bang, bang.

Some times, when he is truly annoying me, like galloping on my back at 3 AM, it is very hard to wake him. I once had to turn on the light and pull back his eye lids while yelling PHIN, just to get him to stop running in my bed! Boy, that dog can sleep deeply. LOL He sleeps in the middle between my husband and I on a queen size bed. The dog is 39 1/2" tall at the withers. When those legs are going, the whole bed is rocking and whoever has the feet side of him is getting pummeled.

I would not be concerned if I were you. It's probably just a little bit of carry over dream. Not to long ago, my pit mix let out this extreme loud and like 60 seconds howl. I thought he was having a stroke or heart attack. I jumped up and ran to him since I've never heard anything like that ever come out of him. He woke up and looked at me like, "What?". LOL Totally scared me out of a dead sleep, it was such an awful noise.

On a total side track, I've been trying to get Phin to listen in his sleep. When he is running (during daylight hours and I'm awake to mess with him haha), I've been trying to tell him to SIT. If he is just twilight dreaming, he often opens his eyes and looks at me. Or if he is deeply sleeping, he just doesn't hear it. I've been doing this for the last 3 years. Just 2 weeks ago, He was snoozing on the bed and I was watching TV and it WORKED! hahaa Can ya tell I'm easily amused? He was running along, all 4 feet in action, and stopped when I said SIT! About 10 seconds later, his feet were going again. So I said SIT! And he stopped again. I tried STAY too. haha... But he opened his eyes.
                        Last edited by Angel7292; 06-11-2014, 09:37 AM.
                        sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by Angel7292 View Post
                          Phineas, at 3 years old, is STILL an extreme active dreamer. If he is sleeping, he is dreaming. Everything from full runs (think 4 legs galloping with full extension), to twitches, barking, growling, howling and my favorite, the happy tail wag. Just last week, he woke me up with this hammering sound. His tail was in full wag mode and hitting the wood foot board of my bed. Not slight... I'm talking full on bang, bang, bang.

Some times, when he is truly annoying me, like galloping on my back at 3 AM, it is very hard to wake him. I once had to turn on the light and pull back his eye lids while yelling PHIN, just to get him to stop running in my bed! Boy, that dog can sleep deeply. LOL He sleeps in the middle between my husband and I on a queen size bed. The dog is 39 1/2" tall at the withers. When those legs are going, the whole bed is rocking and whoever has the feet side of him is getting pummeled.

I would not be concerned if I were you. It's probably just a little bit of carry over dream. Not to long ago, my pit mix let out this extreme loud and like 60 seconds howl. I thought he was having a stroke or heart attack. I jumped up and ran to him since I've never heard anything like that ever come out of him. He woke up and looked at me like, "What?". LOL Totally scared me out of a dead sleep, it was such an awful noise.

On a total side track, I've been trying to get Phin to listen in his sleep. When he is running (during daylight hours and I'm awake to mess with him haha), I've been trying to tell him to SIT. If he is just twilight dreaming, he often opens his eyes and looks at me. Or if he is deeply sleeping, he just doesn't hear it. I've been doing this for the last 3 years. Just 2 weeks ago, He was snoozing on the bed and I was watching TV and it WORKED! hahaa Can ya tell I'm easily amused? He was running along, all 4 feet in action, and stopped when I said SIT! About 10 seconds later, his feet were going again. So I said SIT! And he stopped again. I tried STAY too. haha... But he opened his eyes.
                          Hahaha That's awesome! I'm gonna have to try that! Apollo is also a ridiculously deep sleeper. If I want to wake him, I have to literally shake him. I've even rolled him over and he doesn't wake up.

This one time, it was super early in the morning, and I heard this huge THUD. I woke up, naturally looking for Apollo, and he had fallen off the bed, but was still sleeping! roll eyes I had to pick his huge 50 lb butt up and put him back on the bed

He cracks me up
                          -- Katelyn

sigpic
                          Apollo

Comment

Working...
                          X