Operation clean up!

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Operation clean up!

Well as you know I came home to a disaster of a house and dogs.

I've since been able to return the carpet to normal color but the smell is a different story!! The urine smell has proven to be a night mare. Throat and eye burning night mare.

So I've been getting quotes on getting the carpet and pad replaced. Pulling the tiles and replacing them due to the pee that sat there for who knows how long...

Trying to save some money obviously!

So Google to the rescue.

My couch was a mess. And I've tried everything, foam fabric cleaner, upholstery cleaner that Chris got for his couch and nothing the spots seemed to spread the. Gah!!!!!

I googled how to clean a micro-fiber couch?
    Rubbing alcohol of all the things.... Bought a .79 bottle of alcohol and a spray bottle and went to work. Holy crap it worked!!!

Before:

After:

The smell:
    As mentioned above the smell.... Desperate and getting ready to pull the carpet and padding up and toss it on the curb. So last effort, I can't do anymore damage than already has been done... Right? So....
    Pull the filter and empty a half a can of Lysol up the ducts!! (Chased the dog and kids out of the house). Went outside played with the kids and neighbor kids while things settled down. Came back in and thank goodness the smell is 100 times better! Once the kids and dog is down I'm going to sprinkle some plain baking soda and let that set over night, and tomorrow I'm taking the kids to Chris's apartments and swim for a few hours to let it set without being walked on. Vacuum. This should help draw any remaining moisture and Odors from the carpet. But the house has already started to sell better.

Tile in the bathroom:
    The pee managed to seep into the cracks and under the tiles, the smell in the bathroom was horrid probably the worst of all! Of you stepped on the tiles it would squish out between the seams.... So plain baking soda to the rescue! Sprinkled it along the baseboards, the seams, around the toilet... Hoping to draw the grossness out from under the tiles! It's only been a couple of hours and the smell is gone but I'm leaving it there over night pull it up with the shop vac and repeat if necessary!

Carpet:
    Hoover carpet washer (100.00 at wal-mart I had this) Hoover 2X concentrate cleaner solution $15.00. Wash the carpet most spots came up but there were some stubborn spots that just wouldn't come up. Hot shot spot cleaner! $1.75 at the dollar store (we use this at work to remove the grease that the guys track in) spray the spot, depending on the severity and length of time on carpet you usually don't have to scrub, if you have to scrub use a white wash cloth and blot the stain out.

Before:

After:

The products:

I hope that some of these help some in the future with minor everyday pet smells, I don't like using smelly good things to mask the pet odors I want to REMOVE them. I will admit I am OCD when it comes to a clean house and I've been told several times that they can't tell I own dogs until they met them. I hope that NO one has to endure what I've had to.

(I posted this because I remember a post from a member that was selling her house)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    sigpic
    Mom of 3 dogs & 4 small humans
    Titan - GD
    Thor - GD RIP 12/28/13 6/1/14
    Finnegan - Mini Schnauzer
    Cookie - Mini Schnauzer

[QUOTE]
    Tile in the bathroom:

The pee managed to seep into the cracks and under the tiles, the smell in the bathroom was horrid probably the worst of all! Of you stepped on the tiles it would squish out between the seams.... So plain baking soda to the rescue! Sprinkled it along the baseboards, the seams, around the toilet... Hoping to draw the grossness out from under the tiles! It's only been a couple of hours and the smell is gone but I'm leaving it there over night pull it up with the shop vac and repeat if necessary! [QUOTE/]

I've used this before on the tiles when the boys were little and missed the toilet, works on grout. (Pulls it out of the pores)

sigpic
    Titan - GD
    Cookie - Mini Schnauzer

Comment

With the couches, did you just spray full strength or 50/50 solution? Just spray and wipe with a rag?
      ~ Erin ~
      "People don't buy what you do; they buy why you do it. And what you do simply proves what you believe." - Simon Sinek
      sigpic

Comment

I used full strength.

Of course always check for color bleed/fade. On a spot that can't be seen. I took a chance again I couldn't do much damage to mine at this point.

sigpic
        Titan - GD
        Cookie - Mini Schnauzer

Comment

Be careful with carpet cleaners/spot removers/etc. Typically if they do not pull the stain out the first time then they will set the stain and make it permanent. I have never heard about the alcohol trick before. However, when I was cleaning carpets/upholstery we used 50/50 mix of water and vinegar (started at 50/50 and slowly increase depending on stain). It won't set the stain and pulls just about anything out, but it may take more than one application.

Comment

Originally posted by b3av3r View Post
            Be careful with carpet cleaners/spot removers/etc. Typically if they do not pull the stain out the first time then they will set the stain and make it permanent. I have never heard about the alcohol trick before. However, when I was cleaning carpets/upholstery we used 50/50 mix of water and vinegar (started at 50/50 and slowly increase depending on stain). It won't set the stain and pulls just about anything out, but it may take more than one application.

Thanks for adding!

The spot remover info was news to me. But as I stated I was ready to pull the carpet up and replace, due to everything.

The stains on the couch - I had never heard that either.... Again I was desperate and was prepared to purchase a new couch or cover.

My case was severe and I was desperate to do something. Typically I would spot test before.

sigpic
            Titan - GD
            Cookie - Mini Schnauzer

Comment

When my husky mix was a puppy I learned the valuable lesson of vinegar! It neutralizes urine odor. I would shampoo the carpets with regular cleaner then do a vinegar rinse-1 cup vinegar to 1 gallon water and run that over the carpet. Not only did it neutralize the urine smell, but it got out the suds from the cleaner as well and made the carpet super soft. The vinegar smell only lasted until it dried, then completely vanished. I do prefer natural cleaners where possible.
              Michele
              Mom to: Angel huskyx (3/15/2001), Lestat labx (12/1/2001), Mystra beaglex (04/01/2005), Merlin airedale (08/01/2012)
              RIP my loves:
              Isis (dane) (7/1/2005-11/5/2011), Venus (dane) (9/1/02-06/24/13)

Comment

Hmmmm

Thanks for the vinegar rinse idea

sigpic
                Titan - GD
                Cookie - Mini Schnauzer

Comment

Wow so the dogs just took care of themselves? Like who was watching them. I fee bad for yyou to come home to such a mess.
                  sigpic Little boy!

Comment

I am so sorry you had to go through all of this.. My go to cleaning products are baking soda and vinegar. Vinegar is great for staining and odors. After I clean the carpet stains I sprinkle baking soda on the carpet and spray it with febreze and let it sit for awhile. Then after I vacuum it smells so fresh.

Comment

Working...
                    X