So proud of my Giant puppy!

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• So proud of my Giant puppy!

Took Titan out front for a moment while I smoked.... Standing in the yard... Talking to him and giving some much needed lovings...

He suddenly went into a full alert stance and stepped in front of me... With that deep scary growl and a warning bark. I'm straining to see, and then I see it a neighbor standing just behind the bushes. Titan didn't pull or lurch just stood proud and firm. The figure wasn't moving and at that point I got a little nervous. Titan then took a step back and pressed against me. Letting out his big dog bark... I've never heard it till tonight and holy crap he means business. Seizing the opportunity I grab the lupine lead on his lead and whisper the command pas auf (German for watch) he responded beautifully. Lowering his head and taking a more guarded stance. The figure then moved from behind the bushes. And Titan barked a few more times.

The neighbor said hi and I whispered the "relax" command and Titan let out a small hu-rumph for good measure. He was still in alert but a little more relaxed. I called out sitz and he parked his butt. The neighbor and his dog were able to pass on the side walk with no issues. Once the neighbor passed Titan went back to being a nosey puppy and peed walked us to the door. I'm glad he didn't charge!

I couldn't e more proud of my giant puppy. He's only 20 weeks old as of yesterday! My boys is soooooo smart!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    sigpic
    Mom of 3 dogs & 4 small humans
    Titan - GD
    Thor - GD RIP 12/28/13 6/1/14
    Finnegan - Mini Schnauzer
    Cookie - Mini Schnauzer

That's amazing!!

Comment

It's such a great feeling when they are learning!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk 2
      sigpic
      Paula
      Mom to Zeus 10/6/2005
      Jackson 12/8/2012

Comment

Great Job Titan!!!
        Donna
        Max (DOB-Apr 28-2013; gotcha date-Aug 23-2013)
        Dyson (DOB-Sept 9-2013; gotcha date-Mar 8-2014)
        Willow (DOB-Jan 26-2014; gotcha date-Oct 31-2015)

sigpic

Comment

Holy crap, that is cool. I never thought to teach Apollo to 'watch' and 'relax.' How in the world did you do it?
          -- Katelyn

sigpic
          Apollo

Comment

That is truly awesome! And at 20 weeks! Very impressive.

Comment

Originally posted by KatieRae View Post
              Holy crap, that is cool. I never thought to teach Apollo to 'watch' and 'relax.' How in the world did you do it?
              it started the day he came home...
              I played off his natural instincts/responses but molded them into a desired and controlled response...he is/was a curious puppy, and every time he heard a noise he would go check it out and I told him "pas auf" (what ever command you choose i chose this cause it does not sound like anything else that he would hear in normal day to day interactions) after a couple of barks (natural) I would call him to me to distract him and treat/praise while giving the relax command same thing with the "watch it" command something he won't hear all the time... but I also don't advertise the relax word because I don't want a stranger to say it and turns him off..(My lab's relax word was Pinocchio)

I repeated the process every-time he alerted to things or people outside... repetitions. he is a talker but does not just bark to hear the sound of his own voice.

its easy to do in the house and in a controlled environment... however outside and out of a controlled situation he recalled all the things we learned and applied them to the situation outside. What really makes me proud was the way he conducted himself last night but during the day he allows people, dogs, stray cats walk by with out really paying attention he is curious but doesn't try to go play... kids go by on bikes and he watches them out of curiosity but does not bark... if we are walking he does not try to drag me to what ever interest him... but he does look back at me as if to ask permission.

Same thing with the "I love you" I've joked in past post about Titan arguing and "talking back to me" he is just naturally vocal, but I taught him to "tell me" on command to counter act the vocals. Turned them into something cute
              sigpic
              Titan - GD
              Cookie - Mini Schnauzer

Comment

Originally posted by dn89lx View Post
                That is truly awesome! And at 20 weeks! Very impressive.
                I was shocked.... I didn't expect to get that good of a response from him but I tried to use the situation as an impromp training session... again up until last night it was always in the house and free of distractions...

I think that I was the most shocked about was the Bark that escaped my Giant puppy... up until now it's always been a puppy bark... this one rattled my chest.
                sigpic
                Titan - GD
                Cookie - Mini Schnauzer

Comment

I find it's easier to train using the dogs natural tendencies...

For instance you will find it hard to teach a dog to speak when they are not vocal (not impossible but difficult) but if you use the same command every time they bark they will learn to associate that word with the action, later barking on command... and less of barking just to bark

Shake/high five he got this one pretty quick too... he was a "pawsy" tiny puppy.. and many time smacked me in the face with his giant paw... rather than try to keep him from breaking my nose or giving me a black eye I taught him to do it on command... It sounds counteractive... but since learning to high five, he doesn't knock me silly any more!
                  sigpic
                  Titan - GD
                  Cookie - Mini Schnauzer

Comment

Ohkay, I understand now.. I taught Apollo to shake that way. He's never been very vocal. He doesn't even bark at the door when someone comes up to it. The only time he barks is when he's excited or wants to 'tell' me something. I think i'll try that when he chases the cat. That's the only time he actually really gets super excited aside from play time.

Thanks!
                    -- Katelyn

sigpic
                    Apollo

Comment

Working...
                    X