Did you REALLY just say that?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Did you REALLY just say that?

I've been on the hunt for a used crate and finally found one on CL. Anyway, it's in decent condition just needs a good scrub down. I went to the guys house this morning to get it. I had 3 munchkins with me (teo of my kids and a daycare kiddo). They wanted to see his dane and I made them stay in their seats but said if Jasper wanted to come over it would be fine. Then this is the convo happened:

Him: So you know the history of danes, right? You know their background.
    Me: Yeah, I've done quite a bit of research on them and belong to an online dane group.
    Him: So you know they're biters right? They aren't very good with kids and you should keep the kids away. My daughter got bit in the face by my last one.
    Me: What? wow, I'm sorry about your daughter. I haven't seen that anywhere.
    Him: Yeah I got him as a show dog and one day he just bit her. I gave him back to the guy I got him from and he bit his grandson then next week. I wouldn't let the kids rough house with him or be "handsy" with him. Just keep them apart. They're pretty aggressive and bite a lot.
    Me: Oh wow. Well I'm hoping since we're getting him as a puppy that we can train him and love him from little on so that won't happen. I'll be training my kids right along with him on how to read a dog as well.
    Him: (scoffing) Good luck.
    Me: Thanks.

And I left. Someone correct me if I'm wrong but Danes are NOT an aggressive breed and aren't known for biting. I wanted to smack that guy! HELLO!! They're nickname is Gentle Giant for a reason! ugh

I would never let my kids rough house with him or be "handsy" (it's not safe for either of them and teaches bad manners). I know he couldn't have known that I know not to do that but still to keep telling me how aggressive they are and that they are known for biting ticked me off.

This is one reason it's so important to find a reputable breeder that breeds for both conformation AND temperment... while, they should be "gentle giants" there are definitely a growing number of poorly bred byb danes with temperment issues.

Also, good to read up on dog's body language to understand better when they might be stressed and need to be left alone by children.
    sigpic

Duke - mismarked mantle dane, March 14, 2012
    Twitter: @DukeTheDane

Comment

Honestly, I do not like the term gentle giant either....

NO dog breed is really an aggressive breed that just bites for no reason...its individuals with shoddy backgrounds and temperaments that cause this coupled with poor socialization and a host of other things and unless we are talking seizure or brain issue, plenty of warning signs.

Comment

Any dog can be aggressive and aggressive breeds can be big babies.... I firmly believe there is no BAD dog, just ill manners or up bringing. All dogs can be rehabilitated with the right human.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
        sigpic
        Mom of 3 dogs & 4 small humans
        Titan - GD
        Thor - GD RIP 12/28/13 6/1/14
        Finnegan - Mini Schnauzer
        Cookie - Mini Schnauzer

Comment

Originally posted by Titan3151 View Post
          Any dog can be aggressive and aggressive breeds can be big babies.... I firmly believe there is no BAD dog, just ill manners or up bringing. All dogs can be rehabilitated with the right human.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
          I do disagree with the bolded. There are definitely dogs that are just born with really really crappy temperaments that no amount of training and love can save. Its not common, no...most can be rehabilitated but there are some that either from their base temperament or from too much baggage they carry just are not going to be safe dogs to have around humans. Its sad but true.

Nature vs nurture...both count.

I do agree though that the majority CAN be saved with proper training and modifications.

Comment

Originally posted by Greenmagick View Post
            I do disagree with the bolded. There are definitely dogs that are just born with really really crappy temperaments that no amount of training and love can save. Its not common, no...most can be rehabilitated but there are some that either from their base temperament or from too much baggage they carry just are not going to be safe dogs to have around humans. Its sad but true.

I do agree though that the majority CAN be saved with proper training and modifications.
            Totally agree with this. In personal experience with Emma - a poorly bred, poorly socialized Dane that displayed fear aggressive behavior at the tender age of 10 weeks. Now at 2 & 1/2 years after a ton of training can still be timid and reactive. If put in the wrong situation and pushed over threshold would she bite? I dont want to find out so we work very hard to manage her environment to set her up for success.

IF you purchase a puppy from a responsible breeder that has bred to the STANDARD and properly socialized the puppies from BIRTH (yes it starts at the breeders home) then you are more likely to get the Great Dane temperament:

The Great Dane must be spirited, courageous, always friendly and dependable, and never timid or aggressive.
            "I don’t care if a dog is 150 pounds or 10 pounds, and whether the issue is leash manners or biting visitors. There are no dogs who need a heavier hand—there are only trainers who need more knowledge and a lighter touch." Suzanne Clothier
            sigpic
            Rocky & Emma
            Follow our adventures at
            www.instagram.com/spottedangels

Comment

Originally posted by Greenmagick View Post

Exactly. Like that security camera video with the dog that bit the boy and the family cat chased it away. That thing seemed to have a screw loose...it looked like he was hunting the kid. It was just a puppy and already that aggressive.

Comment

I may be wrong but I thought Great Danes are in the top 10 of biters.
                I personally have never seen a mean one but my vet even asked how my dane was.
                And she even said that she has been bit by more than one Dane(She even has one).

Comment

Originally posted by kingd33 View Post
                  I may be wrong but I thought Great Danes are in the top 10 of biters.
                  I personally have . ver seen a mean one but my vet even asked how my dane was.
                  And she even said that she has been bit by more than one Dane(She even has one).
                  Idk if they're in the top 10 biters. But top 10 killers only due to size. saint bernards were on that list too

edit wait i just looked ya there in top 10 biters
                  Last edited by Lacey; 06-05-2014, 02:25 PM.
                  sigpic Little boy!

Comment

I wonder if the biting could be fear biting? Danes are timid sometimes....
                    sigpic
                    Mom of 3 dogs & 4 small humans
                    Titan - GD
                    Thor - GD RIP 12/28/13 6/1/14
                    Finnegan - Mini Schnauzer
                    Cookie - Mini Schnauzer

Comment

Top 10 lists also tend to correspond with popularity. Also, only recorded bites get counted...many bites, especially from smaller dogs, go unreported.

Comment

This man is "that guy" who judges them all by one. You can't put the whole breed down just because one dane didn't socialize enough with children

Comment

Now I am nervous my breeder has faith in her Danes and says they are excellent family dogs. I still have a huge fear of one of my kids being bitten! I had no idea they were in top ten!!
                          sigpicPatiently waiting for our new crew member

Comment

Originally posted by bjas2 View Post
                            Now I am nervous my breeder has faith in her Danes and says they are excellent family dogs. I still have a huge fear of one of my kids being bitten! I had no idea they were in top ten!!
                            As long as you're going with a reputable breeder, follow good training practices, and supervise the puppy & children together, you don't need to be nervous.

Being in the top ten has A LOT to do with popularity and the odds of reporting a giant breed outweighing reporting smaller breeds... I would also be curious as to the rest of the numbers and not just the "top ten" (how many reported bites, etc...)
                            Last edited by AprilLynne; 06-05-2014, 03:39 PM.
                            sigpic

Duke - mismarked mantle dane, March 14, 2012
                            Twitter: @DukeTheDane

Comment

Originally posted by bjas2 View Post
                              ANY dog can and will bite given the right circumstances. Learn to read your dogs signals, teach your children to respect them, and set them both up for success and you will be fine.

Comment

Working...
                              X