No announcement yet.

Did you REALLY just say that?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I have had a lifelong fear of chihuahuas. When I was 6, the people across the street from me had one. I was playing with their kids at their house, and that little monster, out of NOWHERE came flying around a corner and bit the crap out of my feet and ankles. I still have a handful of (thin) scars to show for it, though no serious damage was done. It sounds so stupid, but I have honestly never met a well trained chihuahua, so I refuse to put myself anywhere near one. Anyway, where I was going with this is that my family never reported the dog attack/bite- so I fully agree that smaller dog bites/attacks do not get reported as often. My family's thinking was that a dog that small couldn't (and didn't) do that much damage, so let it go.
    Now Egon came from a fantastic and reputable breeder. He came home with a solid start in proper socialization and never, not once, bit or snapped at anyone (even when I imagine he was probably in some pain towards the end of his life). He had his play nips as a puppy (which being a new dog owner, I was nervous about) that he outgrew rather quickly (again, with more proper training). I never, ever, EVER worried that he would bite anyone. I trusted that dog more than I trusted many humans around small kids.
    sigpic
    Lucy, rescued 5/16/15
    Egon 1/7/07-3/22/14- loved and missed

Comment

I think anyone would be a little nervous bringing in a new dog, or at least I am! I was nervous bringing in my little dog, I think a pet owners biggest fear would be failing your animal. Its human nature to think about things that can go wrong with every situation in life. Its something I have thought about a lot since we decided on a dog. We were originally going to get a Doberman until we met a Dane and his temperament with my kids is what sold me on the breed 100%. I have read until I couldnt anymore on the danes bring dangerous dogs, but the truth is they are far more likely to knock someone down with a lean or give them a good whack with a tail, then to bite someone. Training and socializing will be two things that will make the difference between a well behaved dog and a not so well behaved dog. I have emailed my breeder and she explained to me in more detail her process of choosing studs as well as choosing the puppy for us. So I am good now!

Just thought I would add this as well, every breed is different and every dog within the breed is their own. I was terrified of any black and tan dog when I was a kid because I was attacked by a family friends Doberman. AND to top it off my mom started breeding Dobermans and GSD. It took me a long time to trust another dog, once I grew up and was still nervous but not scared, I thought the only way to get over it was to go in head first and own the breed that scared me. So at 14 i ssved my allowance and I got a doberman and trained him to the best of my ability at the time. One dobie led to two, and then to three. Now they are in the top three of my favorite breeds! They are amazing dogs for the right person, and I would have missed out on years of loving companions had I not faced my fears. Im not saying go out and rescue/ buy the breed that intimidates you, just dont judge a book by its cover.
      sigpicPatiently waiting for our new crew member

Comment

Working...
      X