The amazing Zoomba

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• The amazing Zoomba

So...I have 3 dogs and 2 cats so needless to say hair is always an issue! We are selling our home and were simply looking for ways to make it a 15 min touch up and mop when we have to show the home.

Well, a friend of ours has a roomba that he got from costco and has 2 kids and 2 dogs. He LOVES it, in fact he has a 2 story home and they now have one for up and one for down.

So, we thought well $300 is gonna be crazy but we have 30 days so lets bite the bullet! Well...The version is 595 for $300 one at Costco, the new one is like 600-700 bucks and does hold 60% more but ya know it is 2 X as much! We only allow the roomba in the Living Room, Kitchen, Dining and Master Suite and it does just fine! Which I think is probably about 1300sq ft.

So...the verdict is...the roomba is a lifesaver...with pets or honestly with FL sandy floors etc. It is ALWAYS picking up a full basket of "sand and hair and etc! I run it on auto at 830 every morning and then I often run it again around 9 when we are walking the pups at night. I cannot tell you the difference...if you can swing it...I would buy one! we have 1 rug and wood and tile flooring throughout the home. It can clean all and it goes around like a crazy machine so you can not watch it as there is no rhyme or reason to it..but it works!!

Best invention I have found in many years..just thought I would share since so many folks have more than 1 pup!

Heck--it's zooming around right now...oh and after the first 5 mins of WTH is that thing the dogs and cats just ignore it...even when it bumps into them!

Note--I tried to change the title to Roomba from Zoomba..I always call it the zoomba by mistake I caught it in the body of the post but not the title..oops!
    sigpic
    Bailey (Choc Lab), Jasmin (GD), Dakota (GD)
    Ashley & Chloe (Himalayan)
    In Memory of our beloved Jake
    forever in our hearts

We love our Roomba. Our last one probably lasted about 10 years and then it finally died a few months ago. I cringed buying the latest model, but truth be told, that Roomba is worth it's weight in gold and worth every penny I paid for it. I use it just about every day and it keeps the Phineas white hair snow drifts to a minimum. Plus it does the quick clean up when I'm being extra lazy. I live in S. FL and I hear ya on the sand. The Roomba and I are best buds. LOL I divide the house in 4 parts with the virtual walls and have the Roomba do an extra good job and change to a new part every day. It works for me.
    sigpic

Comment

Do you find that it gets caught a lot, like in corners or under tables or anything like that? I'm on the fence about one. I thought a Roomba would be nice to have, but I already have an expensive Dyson. But I can barely keep up with the hair from one little bitty cat. I can't imagine it will be any better with a really big dog! Maybe Santa will bring me one for Christmas
      sigpic
      Chaucey
      Asaah ~ xxx Asaah LaLa, CGC, registered therapy dog

Comment

It only gets caught on on a couple toys, no furniture or rugs. I also have a very expensive dyson, I would vote this over the dyson (I am on the 2nd $500/dyson so I hear you with them). Tell Santa to go to Costcoo!1
        sigpic
        forever in our hearts

Comment

Now I have to have one!!!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk 2
          sigpic
          Paula
          Mom to Zeus 10/6/2005
          Jackson 12/8/2012

Comment

I've got one that does my main floor which is all laminate. It goes off at 1:30 am to not disturb anyone and I simply empty it every morning. My upper floor I run it up there usually mid week and then on weekends I get out the dyson.

I've had no issues with it going over rugs or getting stuck on anything unless I've left out the odd flattish dog toy or my computer cables. I got the costco model as well. Love not having to sweep everyday.
            sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by oshagcj914 View Post
              Do you find that it gets caught a lot, like in corners or under tables or anything like that? I'm on the fence about one. I thought a Roomba would be nice to have, but I already have an expensive Dyson. But I can barely keep up with the hair from one little bitty cat. I can't imagine it will be any better with a really big dog! Maybe Santa will bring me one for Christmas
              My older, cheaper model had a lower lip and would get stuck on a few things rarely and it would shut itself off. My new, much more fancy one, does an exceptionally better job getting itself unstuck. The new one turns off the rotating parts and everything and backs up and then restarts them. And the new one doesn't just give annoying beeps like the old one did, the new one speaks to you! HAHA

Generally speaking, Roomba has a bumper on the front and it bumps into stuff and moves another direction. What is soooo cool about the new, more fancy model than my old one, it remembers the bump. So the 2nd time to that spot, it slows down and barely taps that spot. Our old one went full steam ahead until it bumped into something. This one slows and is gentle to the furniture.

I <3 the Roomba.

ETA: The few toys and my slippers it has found under the bed, it just pushes them forward and then turns around. I told my husband that he can't complain about the price... it fetchs my slippers from where I can't reach too! HAHA
              Last edited by Angel7292; 06-03-2014, 08:00 PM.
              sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by Angel7292 View Post
                My older, cheaper model had a lower lip and would get stuck on a few things rarely and it would shut itself off. My new, much more fancy one, does an exceptionally better job getting itself unstuck. The new one turns off the rotating parts and everything and backs up and then restarts them. And the new one doesn't just give annoying beeps like the old one did, the new one speaks to you! HAHA

Generally speaking, Roomba has a bumper on the front and it bumps into stuff and moves another direction. What is soooo cool about the new, more fancy model than my old one, it remembers the bump. So the 2nd time to that spot, it slows down and barely taps that spot. Our old one went full steam ahead until it bumped into something. This one slows and is gentle to the furniture.

I <3 the Roomba.

ETA: The few toys and my slippers it has found under the bed, it just pushes them forward and then turns around. I told my husband that he can't complain about the price... it fetchs my slippers from where I can't reach too! HAHA
                Which model do you have?
                sigpic
                Chaucey
                Asaah ~ xxx Asaah LaLa, CGC, registered therapy dog

Comment

This is a great post...I always complain to my wife how much I hate our Roomba...I feel like it is overpriced for what it does LOL. She loves it. Looks like I am in the minority. This phenomenon is not uncommon in my household

Comment

Originally posted by oshagcj914 View Post
                    Which model do you have?

My new one is the model 770. Honestly though, some of the other models like the 650 is about $100 cheaper and just as good. That was the one I was trying to buy but ended up with the 770. I was singing praise for my old one which was like 10 years old (Discovery model) until it had a sensor go defunct a couple months ago. It would just drive in circles. HAHA...

If ya want to get super fancy, iRobot has the Scooba... floor mopper! If my tile wasn't rustic Saltillo (not truly flat), I would own one in a heart beat.

Just don't get fooled by imitations of Roomba. Most are just sweepers, where Roomba is actually a vacuum. It rocks. Love it.
                    sigpic

Comment

I freakin' hate posts like this one.....(now of buying a Roomba when I was perfectly happy without this knowledge). Grrrrrrrrrr

Couple of dumb questions. Does it go to the next room all by itself if the door is open? What if it hasn't finished all areas in the first room? And does it go automatically from hardwood to area rugs?
                      sigpic
                      Hank 02/07/2010
                      Sam 08/25/2007 - 06/28/2013

Comment

Originally posted by tarheelchick View Post

Couple of dumb questions. Does it go to the next room all by itself if the door is open? What if it hasn't finished all areas in the first room? And does it go automatically from hardwood to area rugs?

It does go into all rooms that it can get in the door. Most come with at least one (but more can be bought) virtual walls. It's battery operated and has a beam that keeps Roomba from crossing it. You don't have to use them, I just do so it concentrates it's cleaning on an area of the house and then the next day, I just change the area. It also has a cliff sensory built into all of them, so it won't tumble itself down the stairs, etc. When it is done, it takes itself back to it's charger.

It goes from hardwood to rugs / carpet with no problem. The only thing I know could potentially be an issue is tassles. It has a beater (?) head and could get tangled if they are long tassles.
                        sigpic

Comment

I hated our roombas yes plural. We went through several, a couple of different models. Had to clean the brush and filter after every use. Battery went bad very quickly, got stuck a lot, couldn't just set it and go to work, had to babysit it. Kinda ruined the whole point of the thing. If someone was coming over last minute you couldn't just run the vacuum in a couple of minutes, it needed like 1/2 hour to get just the living room. I much prefer my dyson animal. Does a better job and far faster/easier.
                          Michele
                          Mom to: Angel huskyx (3/15/2001), Lestat labx (12/1/2001), Mystra beaglex (04/01/2005), Merlin airedale (08/01/2012)
                          RIP my loves:
                          Isis (dane) (7/1/2005-11/5/2011), Venus (dane) (9/1/02-06/24/13)

Comment

We have the 595 and now I want the newer one! Although it does talk to you too I don't know about the bumping speeds though.

The brush thing never gets clogged or anything...obviously...not the same at one point. The new one I believe doesn't even have an actual brush it is a rubber brush thing...so I have read!

I was laughing at the post about having to have one when you were perfectly happy before...that was basically me!

Glad to know it is not just me who has had such happiness with a freaking vacuum purchase..seems very 1950's of me
                            sigpic
                            forever in our hearts

Comment

Drat.... looks like I'm on my way to Costco, to buy one

Comment

Working...
                              X