Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Ever flown with adult Dane in cabin of plane?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Ever flown with adult Dane in cabin of plane?

Hmmm the title rhymed and now sounds like a good children's book title to me, lol.

Sounds crazy, right? I was curious as I was looking at sites and researching service dog training and therapy training.

It appears as though those with *physical* disabilities are protected under the Americans w/ Disabilities Act and can bring their service dog on board, no extra fees, in the actual cabin of the plane. I can't even really imagine a Golden or Lab in the cabin (typical service dogs in my area), much less a Dane!

Anyone?

PS: no, I am not considering ever doing this, as I refuse to fly with even my four year old son ha ha but was just curious...
    -Lisa (Zoomer's mom)

I know *of* somebody who flies with her Dane. Her Dane is a seizure alert dog. I am curious too, because I'd like to know where the deuce you put a Dane on a plane.

Sent from my MB886 using Tapatalk
    sigpic
    Fergus
    SC Dinnie Stone Guardian, CGC
    Eisen Shark
    C Shadows On The Sun, CGC

Comment

I can just imagine a hilarious pic of a Dane "sitting" like a human (as we all know they do quite well) on an airplane seat. But with a stream of drool about to land on the head of the unfortunate passenger in front of them, LOL!

Both of my brothers are Air Force pilots and one just started flying commercially for Virgin as well - suppose I will ask him but am betting he hasn't seen a service dog on any of his flights yet as he probably would have mentioned it.

Anyone else???
      -Lisa (Zoomer's mom)

Comment

I used to be a pet travel writer, and can say that, with scant few exceptions, the only Danes flying in the cabins of commercial airplanes would be:

1. Assistance dogs who happen to be Danes;
        2. Famous Danes (i.e. the tallest dog in the world is always, and has always been, a Dane, and they often have to travel to appearances);
        3. Danes owned by friends of the pilot or airline exec.

Ultimately, it is the pilot who allows or disallows any passenger. Celebrity dogs typically are allowed to travel like human passengers because they are valuable to the studio, and well-behaved (with a professional handler).

Personally, I would've been more than happy to buy 3 or more seats; fold up the arm rests; put a blanket down, and let my Dane lie on her side, next to me. Have to buy the whole 5-6 seat row on a wide-body, for that privilege? No problem. But it's just not permitted for us average Janes.

We were all so hopeful, back in 2000, what with the advent of Companion Air - an airline specifically developed for pet travel. What with about 1% of dogs dying during air travel in the cargo hold, modern society needed a way for responsible pet owners to get around. Alas, 9/11 happened, and the airline industry began tanking, and they never really got going.

Back when I was writing about this, pet travel in the luggage compartment was the mostly likely option. (In-cabin dogs typically had to be under 7lbs.) However, I never came across a commercial airline that allowed a typical, adult Dane as cargo, either. Regulations dictate the crate must allow the dog to stand at full height, including head and ears, yet max. crate height was 34". Max. crate weight, incl. dog and crate, was typically 160lbs. So, commercial air travel, for most Dane owners, is out of the question.

I think it's even worse, now. KLM used to be the Rolls Royce of pet travel, but I've heard they no longer permit it. Such a shame...although I, personally, would need an extreme circumstance in order to agree to putting my dog in with the luggage.

However, if this subject interests you, you should know you can arrange your own charter flight, if needed. Yes, a private jet is expensive, and so can be the small prop. planes. And they have limited range. But if you need to fly your Dane, it is possible to do it (ideally riding alongside). You can arrange a small plane, from a secondary airport, that is willing to fly you and your Dane...and you don't need to be the Queen to do it.

I have a picture of a Dane sitting on the seat of a packed commercial flight. I just don't know how to get it out of my iPad and into the post.

Comment

Somewhere on youtube is the video of the dane that was on Oprah. I'm ashamed I can't recall his name because at the time I believe he was the tallest. That's why he was on Oprah. But he has gone to the bridge.

Comment

They lay at (on) your feet. Typically they are given the front bulkhead seats which have more legroom. I've seen quite a few large dogs on commercial airlines - mostly service dogs or military dogs. Once was 2 good sized German Shepherds - both on the floor at the feet of their handler. Have never seen a Dane though.
            I believe Southwest Airlines still allows very small dogs in their carrier for $50.
            "I don’t care if a dog is 150 pounds or 10 pounds, and whether the issue is leash manners or biting visitors. There are no dogs who need a heavier hand—there are only trainers who need more knowledge and a lighter touch." Suzanne Clothier
            sigpic
            Rocky & Emma
            Follow our adventures at
            www.instagram.com/spottedangels

Comment

Originally posted by bamababies View Post
              Somewhere on youtube is the video of the dane that was on Oprah. I'm ashamed I can't recall his name because at the time I believe he was the tallest. That's why he was on Oprah. But he has gone to the bridge.
              Named Gibson

Comment

Working...
              X