Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Are Harlequin's high strung and stressful?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Are Harlequin's high strung and stressful?

I was just reading some info on a breeders website and there was reference to Harl's being high strung and the most stressful of dogs. I had not seen that before. Oliver, our boy is a Harl, he is pretty excitable and he does know how to push my buttons but I attribute this to his age, not his color. Is this a character trait or stereotype of Harlequin's?

Maybe his or her experience with Harls has been poorly bred ones?

Comment

I got Duke at 2.5 years old (pet shop dog, so not well bred). He has been the most calm, mellow dog you can imagine.
      sigpic
      Deb

Duke and Ivy

Comment

Dunno just seems the same to me as saying all redheads are promiscuous..it's only a small part of genetics

Comment

No basis for that comment about harlequins, no color has any particular set trait. Colors can have certain looks due to the color code, but I have seen spazzy danes in all colors.

Comment

LOL, thank you. I think I just happen to have a spazzy boy who is also a Harl. We love him and his spazziness though

Originally posted by angeldane View Post
            No basis for that comment about harlequins, no color has any particular set trait. Colors can have certain looks due to the color code, but I have seen spazzy danes in all colors.

Comment

Yes, no color determine the trait but I have read and seen comments that the Harlequins are the biggest and the Fawns are the smallest in size. Its not color but the lines that determine traits and Harlequins are their own lines.

Comment

Having had 2 fawns, a brindle and 4 harls, I will say that the harls are the clowns of danes, IMHO.
                "The human language, as precise as it is with its thousands of words, can still be so wonderfully vague"....Garth Stein The Art of Racing in the Rain

Comment

According to my handler, harls aren't so much hyperactive as goofy momma's boys.Marlin would (and has) jump in the car with a stranger, but Henry definitely fit that stereotype. It's mostly just old wives' tales though.

Comment

High strung?

Maybe just a little.

In all seriousness, I agree with the others that said different lines will dictate what temperament a dog will have, harlequins are separate lines from fawns etc but you will have different lines within harlequins and so have different temperaments. Not every harlequin will have the same personality.
                    sigpic

Comment

I do think it dends on the individual Dog but my first Dane was a Merle and now I have a 10 month old Harlequin and she is definitely more energetic and high strung. My Merle was very calm and laid back even as a puppy. I am sure my Harl girl will calm down a little with age though. But her energy doesn't bother me at all. All her goofiness just cracks me up.
                      sigpic
                      There Is Nothing Like A Dane!!!!!!
                      Cheech~Chihuahua~5/26/98-4/23/10
                      Valentina~Merle Dane~11/1/03-2/3/12
                      Emalee~12 1/2 yrs Red Doberman
                      Takoa~2 1/2 yrs ~Harlequin Dane
                      Sunshine~11 3/4 yr Orange Tabby

Comment

Both my harls are mellow in comparison to other Danes. Emma loves to run but is not a spazz or any more of a clown than the fawns, blacks, merles, etc I've met. The most high strung Danes I've met were a merle & a blue.
                        "I don’t care if a dog is 150 pounds or 10 pounds, and whether the issue is leash manners or biting visitors. There are no dogs who need a heavier hand—there are only trainers who need more knowledge and a lighter touch." Suzanne Clothier
                        sigpic
                        Rocky & Emma
                        Follow our adventures at
                        www.instagram.com/spottedangels

Comment

I know of a harl thats a stress ball - but i think thats him.. not because of anything else.. she got him as a rehome.

My puppy walked around hundreds of people at a roller derby game the other night and slept through the whole game didnt care at all.. not highly strung.. I think it depends a lot about the litter they came from and what their parents were like and also the breeder - he came from a chilled relaxed breeder so hes a really relaxed pup (all the litter are)
                          No, he is not a dalmatian, No not even half - He is a purebred Great Dane.. Yes im sure!! Yes they come in this colour!

Comment

My harl. is fast asleep on the sofa right now.
                            He's not high strung but he is healthy and happy and runs faster than most Danes his age. But I think that is because of his life and what we provide him. Good food, a TON of love, and the most important --- exercise.
                            We are getting another Great Dane pup in a few months, it will be a harl as well! Love these dogs to death!

Comment

Harls are clowns...I have 2 harls a mantle and a pied....all are couch potatoes....Tempo and Artie will let anyone in the house and let them do anything as long as you do not touch their couch...Bella does not want anyone on her property without ok from mom....Leo wants everyone to come on in and play....think it has to do more with age than color.
                              sigpic Shash
                              Flynn always in my heart
                              Artie, Piebald Tempo, Mantle
                              Leo, Harlequin Ch Bella, queen

Comment

Working...
                              X