Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

need an extra extra large dog house. ideas?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• need an extra extra large dog house. ideas?

Hi, I currently have a custom built wooden dog house that is basically the size of a tool shed. I'm moving though and this thing weighs a ton, so it must stay.

I need ideas of where to find a somewhat affordable extra extra large dog house for my Great Dane, Mars, and my Ibizan Hound, Isis... Mars is about 180 pounds, and Isis is about 40 pounds. I've done some web searches only to find "extra large dog houses" measuring 3 feet by 4 feet. I need something larger that doesn't require a crane to put in the new backyard.

Any websites or ideas on where I can find something like this?

thanks!

I don't know what to tell you. Our dog house is about 1200 sq. feet. 2 bedrooms 1 bath and cost us about $80,000.
    sigpic

Comment

Well, they both sleep inside at night, they have their own bedroom.. but when I'm at work and its raining... they need a huge dog house outside.

Comment

Most people on this forum, myself included, only have inside dogs. Is it not possible to leave them in their bedroom when you're at work?

Comment

Originally posted by ChickyPop View Post
          Most people on this forum, myself included, only have inside dogs. Is it not possible to leave them in their bedroom when you're at work?
          Yes, this. With a dog door to the yard if needed. Not many people on this board will have advice for you on the doghouse, 99% of our Danes are inside dogs.
          "I don’t care if a dog is 150 pounds or 10 pounds, and whether the issue is leash manners or biting visitors. There are no dogs who need a heavier hand—there are only trainers who need more knowledge and a lighter touch." Suzanne Clothier
          sigpic
          Rocky & Emma
          Follow our adventures at
          www.instagram.com/spottedangels

Comment

Ditto
            "The human language, as precise as it is with its thousands of words, can still be so wonderfully vague"....Garth Stein The Art of Racing in the Rain

Comment

Originally posted by 85percent View Post
              ...somewhat affordable extra extra large dog house...
              Unfortunately due to their size, the affordability aspect will be challenging, but here are few ideas:

-premade shed (from a place like Costco, Home Depot)
              just be aware, that some of these are typically plastic, so may be a chewing hazard; but they do have wood ones too; you would have to determine if its a hazard for your dogs...

-check out an Amish woodworking shop if you have one nearby, they often deliver
              I would choose the Amish over the first suggestion, less of a hazard

-sun screen

I think that the above is a great product to either connect to existing fencing or create a lean-to type structure with it in order to generate shade (in addition to a "doghouse") if the dogs are to be outside for a few hours. Just install on outside of fence, to make it less appealing as a chew toy.

*As you may well be aware, Great Danes are not outside dogs. Therefore, these suggestions are made in the belief that these dogs are outside for a few hours in a contained environment in an area where it is safe to do so, i.e. they will not be stolen, it is neither too hot or cold, free of ticks, have access to fresh water, etc. For some this is an alternative to being in a crate within in the home for extended periods of time, as long as, again, it is "safe" to do so and the animal is comfortable with it. My GD would not be (and I live in a climate that is WAY too warm), but it sounds like yours, along with his companion, is comfortable/used to it.

Since a move is typically stressful for all involved, and you know that the dogs will be outside during certain hours of the day, do a dry run while you are at home to make sure the dogs are okay with their new surroundings.
              You will recieve a lot of flack for this question...which you may or may not deserve...Good luck with your move

Comment

Originally posted by thisiscyndi View Post
                Yes, this. With a dog door to the yard if needed. Not many people on this board will have advice for you on the doghouse, 99% of our Danes are inside dogs.
                so they don't get to run around the yard when you're at work? don't they get bored being inside all day? and where do they pee?

Comment

Originally posted by TuckeredOut View Post
                  Unfortunately due to their size, the affordability aspect will be challenging, but here are few ideas:

-premade shed (from a place like Costco, Home Depot)
                  just be aware, that some of these are typically plastic, so may be a chewing hazard; but they do have wood ones too; you would have to determine if its a hazard for your dogs...

-check out an Amish woodworking shop if you have one nearby, they often deliver
                  I would choose the Amish over the first suggestion, less of a hazard

-sun screen

I think that the above is a great product to either connect to existing fencing or create a lean-to type structure with it in order to generate shade (in addition to a "doghouse") if the dogs are to be outside for a few hours. Just install on outside of fence, to make it less appealing as a chew toy.

*As you may well be aware, Great Danes are not outside dogs. Therefore, these suggestions are made in the belief that these dogs are outside for a few hours in a contained environment in an area where it is safe to do so, i.e. they will not be stolen, it is neither too hot or cold, free of ticks, have access to fresh water, etc. For some this is an alternative to being in a crate within in the home for extended periods of time, as long as, again, it is "safe" to do so and the animal is comfortable with it. My GD would not be (and I live in a climate that is WAY too warm), but it sounds like yours, along with his companion, is comfortable/used to it.

Since a move is typically stressful for all involved, and you know that the dogs will be outside during certain hours of the day, do a dry run while you are at home to make sure the dogs are okay with their new surroundings.
                  You will recieve a lot of flack for this question...which you may or may not deserve...Good luck with your move

thank you. yes I think I will do the pre-made "tool shed" from Walmart or something. sounds like the best idea...

But yes I live in Southern California. So they prefer to be outside running around during the day. I think most people don't have a yard like mine either. I live on a fenced 13,000 sq/ft yard.

Comment

so they don't get to run around the yard when you're at work? don't they get bored being inside all day? and where do they pee?
                    Mine aren't alone for more than 5 hours max a day so they can hold it for that time. Mine also sleep 90% of the time anyway so I'd rather them be bored in the house than risk someone stealing them, harassing them, throwing laced food into the yard or them eating something dangerous. A Dane friend of mine lost her nine month old because no one saw her eat a stick and part of it pierced her diaphragm and she died a few days later. The stick piece was found during a necropsy. This was with them being outside at the time with the dogs. Too much that can go wrong for me to ever leave them outside when no one's gone.
                    Zephyr CGN, RE, TT- crazy harlequin
                    Divine Acres Riddle Me This- regal fawn

http://thegrownups.ca/ on life and (not) growing up.

Comment

Mine don't like to be outside without me...I can't imagine the trouble they would cause outside all day. Mine started in their own room and have "won" freedom of the whole house since they haven't attempted to destroy anything in their room for a long time (one HAD severe separation anxiety). They pretty much sleep all day either on the couch or my bed, when I get home they go out and pee and run the yard then if it's nice we go for a long walk. It's our routine...they get antsy about 5 mins before I leave waiting for their treats. I've noticed that they don't really drink anything while I'm gone, I assume so they won't have pee while I'm gone.
                      sigpic
                      "Mom, he's touching me"
                      Emily - Mom of Mick (12yo collie/aussie), Rosie (9yo fawn dane) and Keebler (4yo black dane)

Comment

Mine are crate trained and so used to the routine that they run to the crate when we put on our shoes and coats to leave or I grab my purse because they know they are getting a special treat. We hired a dog walker to come in the middle of the day and on long days they go to daycare. They sleep all day long and will go sleep in their crates on the weekends as well. I live on two acres that are secluded enough that I could fence in an area and leave my dogs outside, but I am not comfortable with it. Even if the dogs stayed contained, I don't trust the wildlife in my area - we have frogs & toads, snakes, poisonous plants, etc and it's just not a risk I'm willing to take.

Comment

My adult Logan has free reign of the whole house and a dog door for access to the yard but he doesnt use it much because he literally sleeps the majority of the day.
                          My 16 month old puppy Emma goes to doggie daycare 2x a week and on the days when she is home both dogs are inside the house but baby gated off from certain areas because she likes to chew shoes and tear up our bed. She also sleeps the majority of the day and only goes outside maybe once or twice during the workday to pee. I have webcams to keep an eye on them, good realtionships with all my neighbors, and my college student sister-in-law living with us to close up the dog door if Emma gets too carried away chasing squirrels, fence fighting or digging in the mud.
                          I live in Texas - it is either too hot or too cold most days (and sometimes too hot and too cold in the same day, lol) for him to be outside unless the dog house were to be climate controlled - so there's no point to me in even having that when he can be in my climate controlled house. That's why I suggested the dog door access to their "room". I used lived in southern Cali for 17 years and know 75% of the weather is about 75 degrees (oh how I miss it).

ETA: They are rarely bored because it is natural for them to sleep all day. I dont mind Emma chasing the squirrels but she becomes absolutely obsessed with it and I seriously hate fence fighting - it bothers everyone and is just a bad habit which is difficult to break if you arent around 100% of the time. Logan also has skin cancer because he was raised outdoors in his previous home for 4.5 years and baked in the sun a lot - now he bakes on his indoor heated dog bed.
                          Last edited by thisiscyndi; 04-17-2013, 11:07 AM.
                          "I don’t care if a dog is 150 pounds or 10 pounds, and whether the issue is leash manners or biting visitors. There are no dogs who need a heavier hand—there are only trainers who need more knowledge and a lighter touch." Suzanne Clothier
                          sigpic
                          Rocky & Emma
                          Follow our adventures at
                          www.instagram.com/spottedangels

Comment

I grew up in a family that had outside dogs, and never saw anything wrong with it. However, now I cannot imagine leaving mine outside regardless of what kind of fence I had. I would be too worried about all the things that could happen. I have one dane and two chihuahuas that have freedom inside my house when I am at home. I think mainly they just lay around. And they all wait to go to the bathroom until I come home and let them out.
                            sigpic

Comment

We have a 1/4 acre fenced in. If no one is outside, Levi goes to do his business and he's right back up on the back porch, pawing the door to come inside. If I don't let him in immediately, he'll lay down and wait. No running around for him, lol.

When we aren't home, he stays in our bedroom...snoozing contentedly on our big bed.
                              sigpic
                              RIP my sweet Zeus Boy. I'll always love you. 08/28/01 - 08/23/11
                              Levi...born June 29th, 2011
                              Stella...Gotcha Day May 19th, 2013 (born February 26, 2012)
                              Levi and Stella's Facebook page:
                              https://www.facebook.com/LeviAndStella?ref=hl

Comment

Working...
                              X