Car Ramps?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Car Ramps?

We are having a very difficult time getting our dane into the trunk of our suv. We bought a ramp for her because we are also afraid she is going to hurt her legs jumping off it, but she will not go anywhere near the ramp. What do posters here recommend? If the ramp route is the way to go, I will have her trainer come over to help me train her.
    sigpic
    6 year old brindle male GD
    3 year old black female GD

I will be watching this for replies. I posted last week or so that I cannot get Duke to walk out of the van on dog stairs (I have limited success getting him to walk up, but it's the jumping out that is causing problems). I didn't get a ramp because he doesn't like stepping on anything the least bit jiggly.

How about laying it flat in an area she she passes by on a regular basis, just to get used to the look of it. Then put treats on it to get her to go to it. Can it lay flat to the ground? If so, teach her to walk on it while flat, then transition to slight inclines?
    sigpic
    Deb

Duke and Ivy

Comment

It looks like from your description that your dane is around 4 years old? Is that right? I am assuming that she doesn't have any leg/hip/joint issues that you are aware of?

My Sam has never been crazy about jumping in or out of the back of the SUV. She will jump in very, very reluctantly if I have extra special treats on hand. My husband, (who never keeps treats on himself) always resorts to lifting her in......front two feet first, then back legs in. She is spoiled rotten. She is equally reluctant to jump out. I had one trainer tell me that some dogs have a problem with depth perception of jumping up and down. I'm not really sure. Sam is five years old and healthy but this has ALWAYS been an issue with her even though she loves to ride and go places. We always load her up first, and then my other dog Hank goes in second. He bounds in the back of the SUV with great enthusiasm. Go figure.

I heard others on here say that their dogs have more success loading in by way of the back seat and then crawling through to the back. Is that an option for your vehicle?
      sigpic
      Hank 02/07/2010
      Sam 08/25/2007 - 06/28/2013

Comment

Thanks for the replies. Our dane is 2y8m old. She does not have any leg issues, but I fear that she will hurt her legs jumping off. We do have to hoist her up there and she weighs more than I do so it's not easy for me! We cannot lower our back seat as we have young boys in car seats in the back seat.

I was considering having our trainer come over to try and teach her to use the ramp. She was also afraid of the doggie door we got for her and he was able to teach her to use that.
        sigpic

Comment

Good for you for doing this at a young age before it is needed.

I see you are very near me!
          sigpic
          Deb

Duke and Ivy

Comment

I have a Twistep for Murphy & love it.

http://www.twistep.com/

Its a little pricey, but totally worth it in my opinion. I had the Otto step before I got this one, and while it was easy to slide in the hitch, I always had to make sure I had room in the car for it.

The twistep is so much more convenient and Murphy loves it.
            sigpic
            Debbie & Murphy

Comment

I ramp trained Mox as a small pup after watching my boss struggle swith her golden who had a demyelinating disease. I do not need it now as my Honda Fit is very low and Moxie just steps in but I have the ramp and she is trained to it if needed. I would put it flat and try to get your dog to check it out and be comfortable with it that way and then slowly work toward the car.

Comment

Originally posted by bluebeetlemom View Post
                How about laying it flat in an area she she passes by on a regular basis, just to get used to the look of it. Then put treats on it to get her to go to it. Can it lay flat to the ground? If so, teach her to walk on it while flat, then transition to slight inclines?
                I like this idea about laying it flat to train. I never thought about that. I think it would be a good idea to try to train to use the ramp. That would really come in handy for surgery or older weak dogs. I had a heck of a time getting my 2 yr old girl in my van after her TTA surgery.

Comment

I bought this for Truman & Kennedy. I got it before they needed it with the thought that I could get them use to it (I drive a Jeep Wrangler, not to high but still) then Tru tore his ccl and couldn't step in like he use to. This has been a life saver getting him in and out. I got the 5 step, 18 inch platform but removed one step to fit the jeep but I'm covered if I ever have a bigger (higher) car.

http://www.petloader.com/
                  Laura with Kennedy & Lincoln (Truman waiting at the bridge)
                  sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by bluebeetlemom View Post
                    Good for you for doing this at a young age before it is needed.

I see you are very near me!
                    Yes I am! I've heard about the dog park in Wauconda, Do you like it?

Originally posted by DebinSD View Post
                    I have a Twistep for Murphy & love it.

http://www.twistep.com/

Its a little pricey, but totally worth it in my opinion. I had the Otto step before I got this one, and while it was easy to slide in the hitch, I always had to make sure I had room in the car for it.

The twistep is so much more convenient and Murphy loves it.
                    This is great, but my SUV has a tailgate that opens in halves so one half opens down, which would not work with this unfortunately. What a great idea though.

Originally posted by Truman's Mom View Post
                    I bought this for Truman & Kennedy. I got it before they needed it with the thought that I could get them use to it (I drive a Jeep Wrangler, not to high but still) then Tru tore his ccl and couldn't step in like he use to. This has been a life saver getting him in and out. I got the 5 step, 18 inch platform but removed one step to fit the jeep but I'm covered if I ever have a bigger (higher) car.

I really like this. I've already ordered a ramp though so I guess I should see if it works. This is the ramp I got.

[ame="http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0014AOC68/ref=wms_ohs_product"]Amazon.com: Mr. Herzher's Smart Ramp: Pet Supplies[/ame]
                    sigpic

Comment

I've been thinking about getting the Pet Gear Travel Lite Bi-Fold Half Ramp.

I have an Xterra with a dog hammock in the back, and Macho enters from the side. I have looked at soooo many ramps online as well. I've been leaning towards this one because of this review.

Anyone have this ramp?
                      sigpic
                      <, and Stef
                      <'
                      What do you call cheese that isn't yours? Macho Cheese!!

Comment

I have mixed feelings about the dog park. I have been going since it was located across the street from where it is now. In the old days people were conscientious about keeping their dogs near and minding their manners. Then Cesar Milan happened, and suddenly everyone 'diagnosed' their dogs to explain why they snarled or jumped, etc. But they didn't take the next step of actually doing anything about it. So we only go during weekday evenings when it is far less crowded. It is a nice enough place, lots of open fields and paths through the woods.

Note that giant breed dogs capture the interest of all dogs smaller and tend to get swarmed when they go in.
                        sigpic
                        Deb

Duke and Ivy

Comment

Originally posted by Truman's Mom View Post

Thank you so much for recommending this! Our trainer came over to try and teach our dog to use the ramp we bought and it was a huge fail because the ramp was just not wide enough for her to climb it with confidence. It was narrow and shifted while she was climbing it. Will be purchasing this for her instead. Hope it works!
                          sigpic

Comment

Which ramp do you have?
                            sigpic
                            Deb

Duke and Ivy

Comment

We have this one: [ame="http://www.amazon.com/gp/aw/d/B0014AOC68/ref=mp_s_a_1?qid=1359397712&sr=8-2&pi=SL75"]Mr. Herzher's Smart Ramp:Amazon:Pet Supplies[/ame]
                              sigpic

Comment

Working...
                              X