7.6 earthquake!!!

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 7.6 earthquake!!!

Had a very exciting early morning! Woke up to the dresser bouncing and the bed shaking....the tsunami sirens blaring and the 'voice over' saying if we have a wave, it will hit at 12:45 a.m. "GET TO HIGHER GROUND"
    We had a little less than half hour. Packed the Danes, and threw the "to-go bag", a 33# of dog food, 4 liters of water, leashes & blankets, a snooter of Crown, a pistol in the DNRIDE. Up the mountain we went, along with a bunch of other folks who live out the road. Sat up there waiting for the "all clear".
    Yep, a 7.6 earthquake 50 miles south of us - think we probably would have been fine staying home since we're pretty high up....still, wasn't a bad idea to boogie on out and up. All is well here at my house. Nothing broken and everything intact.....whew....
    Gave us some serious thought for what else we need in our "to-go bag"....like we forgot the chocolate and instant coffee!!!!

Glad y'all are ok!!! Sounds scary...not something I'd like to wake to at midnight. I was born in Alaska and my mom would tell me about the couple of earthquakes that happened, when moved when I was one so I don't remember anything.

Of course, we get tornado sirens at midnight here.......we don't have to head out of the house, we just have to pack everyone nice and tight in the closet.
    sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by Michkendo View Post
      Gave us some serious thought for what else we need in our "to-go bag"....like we forgot the chocolate and instant coffee!!!!
      But you remembered the Crown!
      Glad all is well
      sigpic

Comment

Whoa! Talk about a rude awakening! At least everyone is safe and there's no damage to your property.

Sent from my ADR6300 using Tapatalk 2
        My Blog: My Fur-Real Life

sigpic

*Jennifer*
        Wife to John, Mom to McKayla and Chris
        Owned by Katie and Rio

Comment

Glad all is well with you!
          sigpic

Comment

Glad you made it through all right!

Tsunamis scare me....shudder. We get earthquakes here, tornadoes, floods....but even the might mississippi (and actual should be bigger Missouri lol) dont do that.

Comment

We learned later the "wave" was barely 3 feet for Sitka. Yes, all is great!! And YES! We remembered the Crown!! WEE-HAAA!!
              As I was throwing a 33# bag of buffalo in the DNRIDE, Peter says "are we just going to abandon?!" Yep - as I loaded up the Danes, a to-go bag and 4 liters of water....come or don't. He was hot on my heels.

If any of you ever check out a map of Alaska - we are on the pan handle - Canada still wants to claim this area, and since this land is basically attached to that fine country, it really wouldn't be so "out there" if it came to pass.
              Sitka is on the outside waters - so it's not unusual for us to get tsunami alerts when the Asian countries have big earthquakes. That said, when there's a tsunami warning - that's a whole different issue. Life is good.

Comment

It's good you remembered the essentials I live south of you in British Columbia, so many earthquakes lately it's scary! I wish we had Tsunami warning sirens, we live in an area that is at sea level and there is absolutely nothing to warn us!

Comment

Awesome preparedness!

Most importantly, I am glad all of you are okay and no damages!
                  sigpic
                  <, and Stef
                  <'
                  What do you call cheese that isn't yours? Macho Cheese!!

Comment

Glad you guys are OK. Heard the news on the radio and thought "oh my hope they are OK". So thanks for checking in
                    P.S.: Please tell your boys to quit bouncing up and down so hard that they make all Alaska shake
                    sigpic
                    With best regards,
                    Jeannette Luca & Leo and now Lilly & Sophie

Comment

Glad all is well...looked up Sitka on the map - super cool!
                      *exhale* you did good!
                      sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by Michkendo View Post

If any of you ever check out a map of Alaska - we are on the pan handle - Canada still wants to claim this area, and since this land is basically attached to that fine country, it really wouldn't be so "out there" if it came to pass.
                        Yes join us! Free health care for all! *Throws it around like fairy dust!*

I'm glad everyone is okay!! Must have been a rude awakening for the dogs. I can only imagine what Castiel would do if he woke up and the world was shaking!!

Comment

Working...
                        X