Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Homemade coat for danes

Hello all,

Has anyone ever made a homemade sweatshirt for thier danes out of an old hooded sweatshirt they may have around the house? I do not have access to a sewing machine, so I was wondering if anyone has done this before and how they made them. Hard to find info on it on Youtube

Kristen

I'm pretty sure that an adult Large or X-Large would fit a Dane pretty well. I've put one of my husband's t-shirts on each of our boys just to see if they would fit - they looked pretty cute.
    Proud mom of two 2 year old, Fawn Dane boys,
    Little Rock (Russian Tortoise), & Blaze (Betta Fish)!

RIP Moose (8.9.09 - 12.26.10)

sigpic

Comment

I just put an XL Hoodie on Tucker when it gets cold out. I do add draw-string to help block out the cold and keep him from peeing on it. You basically take the draw-string out of the hood, cut two small holes in the back of the hoodie (at the bottom), and run it through. Works pretty good!
      ~ Erin ~
      "People don't buy what you do; they buy why you do it. And what you do simply proves what you believe." - Simon Sinek
      sigpic

Comment

I've also used hoodies for my dogs. They look so cute in them when the hood is up.
        I guess I was being lazy because instead of putting in a drawstring I would just knot them in the back.
        I'm employed by a school district and at the end of each year we would have hundreds of hoodies, sweaters, etc. left behind. Most get donated but employees get to pick out some if they want. Each of my GD's would get 2, one to wear and one to wash. There's always enough that I'm able to get them color coordinated with my dogs. lol

Comment

I used large sweatshirts for Mouse. She was 155 lbs. I used mediums for Mini at 110 lbs. I had to cut the sleeves to fit leg length because they were too long but didn't need to do any other modifications...unless it had a small neck. If one was on the small neck size, I cut a "v" in the middle of the front of the neckline. That worked great.

I'll probably be doing the same for Harleigh. I bought her some dog hoodies from PetEdge but they are too tight between and around the legs even at XXL (biggest they have at 30" long). They just aren't comfortble and rub her pits. Sweartshirts, bought at thrift stores, for about $2 give you a very servicable Dane shirt to keep them warm.
          Lisa

NOS finally wore himself out. Whew!
          sigpic

Comment

What we do is go to value village (or some other thrift store) and get a sweater.
            YOu cut it up the center, cut a triangle out so they can pee and not pee on the sweater, then stitch it back together. It takes longer, but you can do it by hand. Best person I can think, off the top of my head, to ask about how to do it (a bit more of a detailed step by step pattern) would be Theonix. SHe's done it for a bunch of Castiel's sweaters. If you really cant get it, I can always grab a photo of Cas's orange fleece for you.

Comment

I think I'm gunna have to try this out! It's getting colder by the day and I think Kovu might like a sweatshirt for the dog park or long outside activities.

Comment

I got a couple of fleece vests from the White Elephant (second hand store) one was a LLBean large and the other was an XL. I put it on the guys backwards so I can zip up the back. The extra fabric I tucked and stitched so the fit around the middle. They're short enough I don't have to worry about them being peed on.

Comment

Originally posted by Michkendo View Post
                  I got a couple of fleece vests from the White Elephant (second hand store) one was a LLBean large and the other was an XL. I put it on the guys backwards so I can zip up the back. The extra fabric I tucked and stitched so the fit around the middle. They're short enough I don't have to worry about them being peed on.
                  I'll have to keep my open for these too. Didn't think about putting them on backwards. I don't have any boys so never worried about things getting peed on. I have sometimes tied a knot at the bottom like we used to do with our shirts "back in the day." Some shirts are extra stretched around the waist when you get them at thrift stores...esp larges.
                  Lisa

NOS finally wore himself out. Whew!
                  sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by Michkendo View Post
                    Oooh, I like the vest idea. I'm going vest hunting this weekend!
                    Jacki___________________
                    Molly: 4.5 yr old Chihuahua/Dachshund - Fawn
                    Bella: 2.5 yr Dane - Black. Harley: 3 yr Dane - Merle. Oliver: 5 yr old Feline Furball - Grey/White
                    sigpic

"An animal's eyes have the power to speak a great language." — Martin Buber

Comment

I got some those awful imitation snugglies... cut them the right length for each dog, and used the cut off part as a belt. Easy and cheap!!!. I did use a diaper pin at the chest too keep it closed. It is big enough to totally wrap around the chest Pictures to follow if Safi will stand still!

Teresa
                      Teresa
                      sigpic

Comment

For sizing, I would definitely go with an XL. Now that Macho is larger and cannot wear my shirts, I bought him his own Virginia Tech shirts for game day (little did I know we would fall apart this year ). XL t-shirts are just big enough for his neck. So, I took it upon myself to stretch out the neck on the shirts (similar to the t-shirt shrunk in the dryer dance).
                        sigpic
                        <, and Stef
                        <'
                        What do you call cheese that isn't yours? Macho Cheese!!

Comment

For my all clothes I depend on online store. They offer them on good price. Recently I bought Tank tops and best leggings from an online store that was giving them on affordable price. Wearing them for workout and glad with the experience.

Comment

I've always worn my brother hoodies and sweatshirt while dancing he usually bought online where offer very discount price like he was recently bought at apparelshopusa clothing store

Comment

Working...
                            X