$167 "treat"

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• $167 "treat"

A couple of weeks ago DH and I took the kids to visit my grandparents in NC. We couldn't take the dogs, so I had my sister-in-law and her brother-in-law come over to take care of them and the cats. Because I wasn't sure how long they'd be alone, I didn't want Rio locked in his crate for hours at a time (he's usually one crated for a few hours every few days) and figured he'd be ok free roaming with Katie to keep him occupied. We removed any tempting "chew-toys" and shut bedroom doors. Left towels for any accidents and instructions on the care of the dogs. We left on a Tuesday and came back home that Friday.....

.....to a disaster area. My instructions where shredded. Bite marks on the back door knob. Apparently they had found a pillow and decided it needed less stuffing. A puddle in the floor and countless other discoveries.

But, that wasn't the end of it. Oh no. In our cleaning up, I spotted something in the floor. Upon closer inspection: NOOOOOOOOOO!! My key fob! Yes, they had chewed my Jeep key fob that I had politely left in case the Jeep was needed. And yes, the alarm was set and that's the only one we have. DH tried all the tricks to disarm the alarm but apparently my model was a difficult year ('98 Grand Cherokee) and it couldn't be done. So, he had to order some key fobs (found 2 for $13 and free shipping).

So for a week I'm minus my vehicle. We have DH's 2001 Ford Ranger but it's not the most comfortable being crammed between him and McKayla's carseat, so we don't go anywhere much. The key fobs come in and we have the Jeep towed to the dealership (luckily we have towing insurance and got reimbursed). Jeep tells us it'll take an hour and half to two hours to fix it as it has gone into 'theft mode' and has shut everything down.

So, $167 later to fix the Jeep and program the new fobs. Hope you enjoyed your expensive treat Rio.
    My Blog: My Fur-Real Life

sigpic

*Jennifer*
    Wife to John, Mom to McKayla and Chris
    Owned by Katie and Rio

WHOOPS! lol oh i can only imagine comeing home to such a mess.
    "If there are no dogs in Heaven, then when I die I want to go where they went."
    -Unknown

"Dogs are not our whole life, but they make our lives whole."
    -Roger Caras

Comment

I wish you had posted about this earlier; that really sucks.

For next time .. https://www.ikeyless.com/vehicles/Jeep/
      sigpic
      A backyard breeder (BYB) is someone who has been deemed not a reputable breeder.

A "Responsible Breeder" supports their buyers, supports their own dogs, and supports the lives of any fututre puppies by having (and keeping up with) all the appropriate health testing suggested by the GDCA.

Comment

Originally posted by BigLittleSmall View Post
        I wish you had posted about this earlier; that really sucks.

For next time .. https://www.ikeyless.com/vehicles/Jeep/
        Thanks but the key fobs were only $13 for 2 and free shipping. The $167 was "labor fees" and about $45 to program both fobs. Believe it or not, the dealership was the cheapest at programming but they get ya with those labor fees. Also, I believe it was so expensive b/c it was in theft mode, which shut EVERYTHING down and they had to basically reboot the computer.

Sent from my ADR6300 using Tapatalk 2

sigpic

*Jennifer*
        Owned by Katie and Rio

Comment

I've been there, but because I threw my keys to a friend from my balcony and they did not catch them. Oh college. There is a thread going on about the worst damage your Dane has caused.... in our house it's the Dane mom that causes damage.
          sigpic
          <, and Stef
          <'
          What do you call cheese that isn't yours? Macho Cheese!!

Comment

Live in Pet sitter. A MUST. I do not go anywhere if my petsitter isn't avaliable. Period. I went camping, came home three days later all critters were well fed, played with, house vacummed, bird cage cleaned, and Briar tired from her earlier walk and play session. Have I told anyone how much I love my pet sitter ??!! And I spent just about what you did !!!

Really, look into finding a house/pet sitter. Peace of mind every vacation or emergency.

Andi

Comment

I called a few but they were just the kind that dropped by every so often to potty and then left. I'd LOVE to find an in-home petsitter!

On trips, first choice is taking them with us, if we can't, then my mom will come stay at the house.

Last edited by IwannaDane; 11-08-2012, 09:43 PM.

sigpic

*Jennifer*
              Owned by Katie and Rio

Comment

I consider myself to be incredibly lucky. Amy has been sitting for me for 15 years. I was her FIRST client. And as such, she gives me a great price break ! All of her clients have originated from word of mouth, and believe me, I clear vacation dates with her before I even think about going anywhere. Unfortunately, I don't have any family to rely on for pet sitting, but over the years, I have come to think of my petsitter as extended family !!!

She is GOLD in my book.

Andi

Comment

We also use a dog sitter that stays at the house when we are gone - it is expensive - adds a lot to every trip - but I know no one is getting into trouble while we are away. My dogsitter also cleans my house - so the dogs know her well - she is a God to me or shall I say Godess - I would have a horrible time if she stopped!

Lori
                  dixiegreatdanes.com

Comment

Yeah, I learned my lesson. I thought my sis-in-law and her brother-in-law would be plenty but it appears that if the dogs CAN'T go ( which is rare), I'll have to get a pet sitter. Time to start searching.

sigpic

*Jennifer*
                    Owned by Katie and Rio

Comment

Working...
                    X