• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 10 Best Apartment Dogs!

Dane's are #10!!

http://www.dogster.com/lifestyle/10-best-apartment-dogs

That is an interesting list.

I agree, as long as they get the exercise they require, most dane's energy level would be fine for apartments.

Although, I shudder to think how Lucas would be in an apartment. I couldn't live on an upper floor, that's for sure, they sound like a herd of elephants when they get the zoomies.
    sigpic
    1 husband * 1 teenager * 2 great danes * 2 boxers * 1 cats * 2 African cichlids * 34 land hermit crabs
    RIP Tyler RIP Smokey
    http://thegratedanegane.wordpress.com/

Comment

LOL yes, the other day Oliver and I were playing upstairs and my husband came up and asked me what equestrian event was happening

Comment

Lucas could do fine in an apartment, if he thought it was one giant crate. He is only really calm in two places, my bedroom (as long as he doesn't get in the shower with me and get post shower zoomies), and his crate. I think it's because he associates both places with rest and relaxation. Anywhere else in the house or out and he can be a menace! He's a cross between Marmaduke, Marley and Scooby Do.

JJ would make a great apartment dog, but my boxers need way more exercise than I think would be practical for most people who live in apartments. It could be done, but the boxers are way more athletic than my danes (not that my danes are not athletic at all, not saying that) but Apollo and Mia can just go and go and go and I slow down before they do, while the danes I get a look sometimes on a walk or a hike like, mom, if we go much farther you'll have to carry me home. JJ has actually gotten lame from what I thought was a moderate hike, but I found out the next day it was too much for her. Lucas would drop from exhaustion before he'd give up on exercise just from pure excitement, but he does not have the stamina of the boxers. That's just been my experience.

That's why I thought it was kind of strange a couple of the dogs on the list may be small, but have high energy, like the Boston Terrier, really?
        sigpic
        1 husband * 1 teenager * 2 great danes * 2 boxers * 1 cats * 2 African cichlids * 34 land hermit crabs
        RIP Tyler RIP Smokey
        http://thegratedanegane.wordpress.com/

Comment

They can be apartment dogs but I definitely think they prefer to have the space to run. In the city we live in a medium sized house with a pretty small garden, but in the country we have a tonne of land for her to run around (my avatar pic is the view from our back gate). She knows when we're packing up the car exactly where we're going and she gets super excited! She definitely loves to have the space to zoomie.
          Last edited by HarlequinHorror; 11-04-2012, 09:29 AM.
          sigpic

Comment

I have raised Halp is whole life in cities, in apartments (1 brs and studios, not large apartments!) and he is perfectly happy and healthy. Do I think he would be even happier (and gain more muscle mass in his puny butt) if he had a house and a yard? Of course. I would too! But I think that Danes can be very suited to apartment life. I don't think the size of your space really matters at all, as long as the dedication to meet their needs and your life style fits a dog. At one point we were living with roommates and moved 3 times in the span of 3 months, and he was confined to my bedroom when i wasn't there. Otherwise we pretty much were just outside living it up. I don't think he cared at all that his space was small when I wasn't there, he was crated anyway. My life will most likely be apartments for a while, which is unfortunate because I want more space! But also because I doubt any Dane rescues or most if not all breeders would allow us to adopt/buy because of the space constraints. Not that I'm planning on adding any more, our zoo is certainly crowded as it is! However I can say that I have dedicated SO MUCH to Halpert, I was home with him for his entire first year of life, and spent ALL my time with him, walking, training, at the dog park. I think he would have rather that over a house any day.

I do however see a lot of herding and sporting breeds with neurotic tendencies (such as spinning, chasing cars, etc) around here, and it always pains me. Despite the fact that they are so fun and smart I know I couldn't handle one in an apartment at all! They need SO MUCH. I wish people took in to account more the reality of their situation before getting a dog!
            sigpic Halpert at 28 months

Comment

I totally disagree about the boston terrier. yes they are people oriented, but they are high energy. The rest I would agree totally with. Both my danes would have been just fine in an apartment, I discourage rough-housing in the house anyway. Apartment dwellers can walk their dogs, and have just as much access to dog parks that the rest of us do. Doesn't really seem to matter how many rooms my house has anyway, all my dogs want to shove in the same room w/ me all the time anyway.
              Michele
              Mom to: Angel huskyx (3/15/2001), Lestat labx (12/1/2001), Mystra beaglex (04/01/2005), Merlin airedale (08/01/2012)
              RIP my loves:
              Isis (dane) (7/1/2005-11/5/2011), Venus (dane) (9/1/02-06/24/13)

Comment

Macho's first year of life was in an apartment, and we will be back in apartment soon. To be honest, I'm the one that runs into stuff and I'm usually the one responsible for broken things. Macho is the innocent one, altho in an apartment those farts are much more potent. I like to live on the top floor or as high up as possible, simply because if I was a burglar, no way I'd carry a plasma TV down loads of steps. A first floor apt is a much easier target. As long as the building construction is solid, the zoomies won't be an issue for your neighbors, but the construction is definitely something you must consider. If the place has wood floors, invest in some rugs. The nice thing is, a lot of landlords are familiar with the breed. Great Danes are commonly an exception with a lot of places that have a pet weight limit. It sometimes takes longer to find a place, but it's not impossible.

I understand why the restrictions are in place when it comes to apartment people rescuing GDs. I would never move to another place and end up rehoming my dog. Someone would have to cut off all my limbs and kill me first! In my mind, that is equivalent to rehoming a child. If that's how you roll, then you have no business having a child or owning a dog. Period. Cutting my rant short, not everyone is responsible, and there are too many people who end up being unreliable.
                sigpic
                <, and Stef
                <'
                What do you call cheese that isn't yours? Macho Cheese!!

Comment

I personally feel like any dog could be suited for an apartment but with complete understanding of their exercise requirements. Now, this is coming from someone that's only been around a few breeds, so my information could be wrong. If you are aware of what your breed needs and can fulfill those needs, then I see no issue. Size (of the apartment not dog LOL) can play a part too. Rio knows "back", which would come in handy in a narrow area.....so things can be done to make apartment living possible.
                  My Blog: My Fur-Real Life

sigpic

*Jennifer*
                  Wife to John, Mom to McKayla and Chris
                  Owned by Katie and Rio

Comment

Working...
                  X