"Rough" coat?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• "Rough" coat?

Last time I was at my vet, he marveled at how smooth and soft Maggie's coat is. He told me that most Dane and Mastiff type dogs he's dealt with in the past have rougher coats, almost prickly. He also admitted that most of those dogs were adults.

She is very silky and shiny. She's almost like velvet, even when her fur is pet backwards.

Is this something she may keep her whole life? What is your dog's coat like now and during puppyhood?

Sent from my DROID RAZR using Tapatalk 2
    Last edited by bpmamom; 10-24-2012, 06:29 AM.
    ~Sheila
    Mom to 2 human kids, a 13 year old tabby named Pepper (RIP 5/2013), a 10 year old Ragdoll mix cat named Annie, Dory, the Shelter Kitty, Gizmo the 3 year old most awesome mutt ever, and Maggie, keeper of my heart.

Mouse's coat is velvet-smooth and very soft. People remark on it all the time when they pet him. "He's so SOFT!"

It was rougher when we got him at 14 months because he was on some crap food and was blowing coat, but it was still relatively soft. I'd say your girl will be a silky one all her life. You will be able to tell when something's not quite right if she becomes less silky, if that makes sense.
    Tracy
    sigpic
    Mouse April 2010
    Echo -- run free, Sweetie! Jan 9, 2007 - April 24, 2014 Lost to osteosarcoma at 7 years, 3 months. RIP.

Comment

In general, most puppy coats are softer/smoother than adult coats.

Athena has a velvet coat at 6 months old but I know it will be a little rougher once she blows her puppy coat and gets her adult coat in. Her parents have nice coats, but not velvet like hers is now...

That said, some adults do have very soft and smooth coats. Depends on genetics, health, diet, shampoo/conditioner etc.
      *Jennifer*
      Member GDC of Mid-Florida
      sigpic

Comment

I think each dog is different. Carlie was super smooth and soft. Ayla is soft, but some of her hairs are actually fuzzy if you look closely. Both on a raw diet. Carlie's fur was very straight, and we often got hair splinters in our feet from her. I think each dog is different. They both have what I would consider a short coat.
        Chris, Wife to Dave, and Mom three human teenagers.
        Also mom to Tori (11 yo Lab), , Ayla (2 yo brindle dane), Milo (2 yo boxer), Killian (4 week old iw pup who is still with his breeder and mommy) 3 kittens, 2 horses, multiple reptiles, 7 fainting goats, 25 chickens, and 2 pot bellied pigs, all of whom make life great!
        RIP CARLIE 2/09-2/11 & REILLY 10/4/08-11/20/12, best friends together forever now.

sigpic

Comment

After Macho blew his puppy coat, his adult coat was rougher. He also started developing atopic dermatitis. I switched to grain-free and a couple months later started giving him liquid salmon oil with a high concentration of omega 3s. After 1-2 mos his coat was velvety again. At first I could smell a hint of salmon from his coat and going, "Woohoo assimilation!" After a little while I couldn't smell it anymore, but I'm sure it's still present.

My favorite spot is on the side of his face between his eyes and ears. One of my friends calls it, "Dah velvettttt!"
          sigpic
          <, and Stef
          <'
          What do you call cheese that isn't yours? Macho Cheese!!

Comment

Deacons coat is hard, tight and super shiny. He is impossible to get wet in a bath almost. He doesnt even soap up worth a flip. He is very slick, but his coat is somewhat stiff.

Noodle is also somewhat hard and tight on his back especially, but for some reason his hair is thin along his low sides and belly. I love how he feels, sort of like I imagine a baby seal would feel.
            --Vickie--
            sigpic

Deacon - Harl born 2-10-09
            Noodle - Black born 7-4-09

Comment

I'm sure diet can make a difference. I wonder if coat color has any impact? It seems like the black Danes I've met have been softer, while the fawns (mine included) are more rough.

Comment

Interesting. My Chaos was a fawn Dane/mastiff and was pretty rough. I also knew a lot less about giant breeds back then and had her on Purina One.

Maggie, while still a pup, is (mostly) black and on TOTW.

Sent from my DROID RAZR using Tapatalk 2
                ~Sheila
                Mom to 2 human kids, a 13 year old tabby named Pepper (RIP 5/2013), a 10 year old Ragdoll mix cat named Annie, Dory, the Shelter Kitty, Gizmo the 3 year old most awesome mutt ever, and Maggie, keeper of my heart.

Comment

We give all three of our dogs a fish oil caplet. It has helped tremendously with their coats are smooth and silky! They think it is a treat and love to bite into them, it lets the fish oil run into their mouths!!
                  Also, we only bathe them about once a month unless they get messy; but brush them almost daily!
                  I agree, diet also plays a big part in their look of their coats and skin.
                  sigpicStephanie Folker

Mom to:
                  Bonnie - female, pitbull/great dane mix -4 yrs.
                  Clyde - male, pitbull - 3 yrs.
                  Emma - female, great dane - 19 months

Comment

Overall, Gunther's coat I think is pretty soft. But about from his hips to his tail is pretty coarse and almost kinky looking. I'd say overall his back has the least softness to it. But his head, front of his neck and chest are very soft and velvety.
                    sigpic

Chris, mom to: Keiko--husky/shep mix (RIP), Gunther--great dane, Nigel and Posey--rat terriers, Pasta--cockatiel, Louigi--peach fronted conure, Hamlet--blue crowned conure

Comment

Both my danes had a harsh almost wiry coat. I would get terrible fur splinters from Isis' hair, they were almost like quills. Venus coat totally changed when I switched her to home cooked. It is soft, velvety and her bald spot (stud tail) filled in after about 2 years of being completely bald. I don't know if Isis would have benefited as she passed before I started it, but I do believe she would have. I always had them on premium and even grain free foods, just goes to show you that even premium kibbles are still just kibbles compared to fresh natural foods.
                      Michele
                      Mom to: Angel huskyx (3/15/2001), Lestat labx (12/1/2001), Mystra beaglex (04/01/2005), Merlin airedale (08/01/2012)
                      RIP my loves:
                      Isis (dane) (7/1/2005-11/5/2011), Venus (dane) (9/1/02-06/24/13)

Comment

Dollar's coat is stiffer, but still soft and very shiny (when he's clean). He has much softer fur on his face, ears, and belly. Since we've moved, he's a big dirt bag! It's interesting to think that possibly color may have something to do with it.
                        'The bitterness of poor quality remains long after the sweetness of low price is forgotten.' Ben Franklin

Comment

Bain is pretty velvety, especailly along his back. Sometimes I will just take the palm of my hand and run it lightly back and forth (kinda like you do to a man with a shaved head haha). Especially right over hsi shoulder blades lol.

Quinn has soft fur too, but not like Bains. Her's is very short and lays really flat. Bains kinda fluffs up along his back, even though the hair there is no longer than the ones on his sides.

Trinity feels like rabbit fur (sometiems the way she bounces like a ball I think she may be part rabbit actually lol). Always has, seems like she always will. Her fur is longer than Bain and Quinn's, but it's not what I would consider 'long' per say. She isn't as soft as she was when I first got her though, but she's still super soft.
                          sigpic
                          A backyard breeder (BYB) is someone who has been deemed not a reputable breeder.

A "Responsible Breeder" supports their buyers, supports their own dogs, and supports the lives of any fututre puppies by having (and keeping up with) all the appropriate health testing suggested by the GDCA.

Comment

Working...
                          X