Your favorite

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Your favorite

I'm not sure if this is the right forum to post this in, as it's not about Danes specifically, but all dogs.

Do you have, or have you ever had, a dog that you love just a little more than any other dog in your life? If you do, did you also have any other dogs in your life at the same time?

I love my Gizmo dog. I mean, I absolutely adore him and couldn't imagine our lives without him. He's a wonderful, fun, friendly, and silly dog. I think his goal in life is to make us laugh.

But I think I love Maggie just a little more. I don't know if it's because she's a Dane or because she's mostly "my" dog, but there it is. And I feel awful about it.

I don't treat Gizmo any differently than I ever have, and we spend a lot of time together. I'm not really his #1 person, and I never have been, and I'm fine with that. Maggie, on the other hand, has chosen me as "her" person and it's very apparent to anyone who watches us.

Am I a monster?
    ~Sheila
    Mom to 2 human kids, a 13 year old tabby named Pepper (RIP 5/2013), a 10 year old Ragdoll mix cat named Annie, Dory, the Shelter Kitty, Gizmo the 3 year old most awesome mutt ever, and Maggie, keeper of my heart.

*Guilty* I have a favorite... This, is Cowboy. He is 'my' first dog, my first rescue, my old man and my heart dog.. I have 4 other dogs ~ I will say that my Sway girl is a very close second.. I dont feel bad about this, however, I have a least favorite ~ and I DO feel bad about that

Last edited by Brindledanelove; 10-13-2012, 09:03 AM.
    ~*Hailey*~
    sigpic
    Sway 4/21/10 - 11/26/13
    "Our hearts still ache in sadness, And secret tears still flow, What it meant to lose you, No one will ever know."

Comment

Nope, that does not make you a monster. Every one of our dogs touches our lives a bit differently. I had a husky/sheltie mix that was truly my first dog after I moved out of my folks place. I used to drive trucks then, and we spent virtually every moment together. I took it VERY hard when he passed away. I think Bear will be every bit as hard to deal with when he goes. Most of the their dogs that I've had, I've loved but did not have the same close bond with. I've grieved their loss, but not to the same extent as I did with my first one.

Comment

Yep, Daisy is my heart dog . I LOVE her so much and I don't know what I would do without her. She is the best dog I have or ever will own.

Peaches is very close second:

sigpic
        Daisy (Shih Tzu) 3/23/2009
        Brody (Shih Tzu) 10/04/2013

Comment

What an absolutely beautiful, fuzzy dog! I love this picture!!
          sigpic

Comment

My first dog was Gus and he could have easily been anyone's "favorite". He taught me incredible lessons in life, love and dog ownership. He was a dane/redbone cross and he was the love of my life for many years. I don't know that any ONE dog has ever been my "favorite", but he definitely still has a very special place in my heart. He didn't have a mean bone in his body, wouldn't even fight back if he was accosted, and never met a stranger, canine or human. As perfect as one could get for a first dog. RIP Gus, someday we will meet again.

Gus with a baby Ripley - another "favorite" dog who has passed on.

Gus and my first "real" dane, Leo.

A group shot from many years ago of quite a few "favorites" all gone now...

And you all know that currently Green Bean is our "prom king" or "star quarterback". Whoever said that each dog touches us differently is right on.
            sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by Brindledanelove View Post
              I dont feel bad about this, however, I have a least favorite ~ and I DO feel bad about that
              I don't want to hijack the thread, but I gotta ask...

Who is your least favorite and why? I am NOT judging you, I'm only curious.
              sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by WeLoveOur7Dogs View Post
                I don't want to hijack the thread, but I gotta ask...

Who is your least favorite and why? I am NOT judging you, I'm only curious.
                I have no problem answering it ~ and to be completely honest, Im not sure the exact reason why I like him the least. Beaudie ~ my little black chin mix.. I have never really bonded with him in the 7 years I have had him ~ everything about him annoys me to death and always has. And the worst part about it, is he is the most well behaved and friendliest of the bunch. He stresses me out, always staring at me (assuming looking for direction, not aggressive or threatening). Our personalities just clash, BIG time. ~ He was one of my impulse, instant grad. puppies. One of the two I got a 'great deal' on Years ago, before I knew better. I bought him and his sister (a two for one deal) intent on breeding the female to my chi.. yeah yeah, I know. Thankfully, and unfortunately when they were 6 moths-ish old beaudie and his sister bella tied and I had her spayed immediately and then beaudie and tequilla neutered a month later.. Fast Forward to 3.5 years ago ~ I rehomed both bella and beaudie to a friend in town. She had them for a year and then one day I saw Beaudie on CL ~ I freaked, called her.. found out Bella was dead and got Beaudie back that day and vowed to never bail on him again. I made a commitment to him 7 years ago and its on me to give him the best life possible.. even if he is the most annoying dog I have ever met.. So, thats Beaudies story...
                ~*Hailey*~
                sigpic
                Sway 4/21/10 - 11/26/13
                "Our hearts still ache in sadness, And secret tears still flow, What it meant to lose you, No one will ever know."

Comment

Yes I think everyone probably has a favorite............one dog who has impacted them so greatly in their lives. For me, that is Gunther, and may always be Gunther. He is my first dane, and I know every dane I have from now on out I will be comparing to him. I won't do it intentionally but I know it will happen. Its one reason I've chosen to go with a female as our next dane.

The other dogs each hold a special place in my heart, as they all do...............but Gunther alone is my heart dog. He is everything I could ever want in a dog. I'm not saying he's without his flaws, but he's about as close to perfect as a dog could get.............for me.
                  sigpic

Chris, mom to: Keiko--husky/shep mix (RIP), Gunther--great dane, Nigel and Posey--rat terriers, Pasta--cockatiel, Louigi--peach fronted conure, Hamlet--blue crowned conure

Comment

Before I had Danes, I did have dogs who were more special to me than others. But honestly, of the Danes, they have all been so different, and so special. Fletcher, my first, completely stole my heart and I never thought I would ever love another dog that much. Enter Giska. She was SO unlike Fletcher, even tho they were related, but I loved her SOOOO much, just as much! I don't know that I could say I loved one more than the other. And they are special to me for different reasons. I never thought I'd have another as special as either one of them. But now Gelsi is here. She filled the void that was my completly empty house once Giska and Fletcher were gone, and she is an amazing little sprite of energy, and I love her just as much too, but again in a different way.
                    sigpic

Comment

I'm sure you guys probably know already, because I post about him way more than I should on here since this is not a boxer forum, but Apollo is a dog I just melt every single time I glance at him. He was my first dog as an adult (my ex husband was completely against getting a dog) and he's been through a lot with me, I've put him through a lot learning about dog ownership, and he has a very forgiving and malleable personality. He is extremely goofy, and his facial expressions look almost human, and he hangs on every human's every word and facial expressions and makes us feel like we are the most important things on the planet. He is the dog everyone in the house goes to when they're feeling down because it's almost like he knows, and he just licks your tears, and cuddles up at your feet, while my my other dogs, which I adore, just don't have that. They are more like, ah, mom's distracted today, what havoc can I reek?

sigpic
                      1 husband * 1 teenager * 2 great danes * 2 boxers * 1 cats * 2 African cichlids * 34 land hermit crabs
                      RIP Tyler RIP Smokey
                      http://thegratedanegane.wordpress.com/

Comment

I'm so glad this topic came up because it's something I feel guilty about constantly! Even in my intro I felt so biased. Moose will always be my favorite maybe because he was my first Dane and owning one was always my dream. Or maybe because HE was a dream to train and loved everyone he ever met. When I left my son's dad I took Moose with. My sister took him in for a few months for me while I got on my feet and then I took him back. He moved twice with me but I was determined to never give him up, even after numerous people suggested I give him up so finding a place to live would be easier. Not an option for me! I cried on him so many nights and I truly feel like he understood and never left my side in those times. My son learned to pull himself up on moose and Moose was so incredibly patient with him. When he died I felt like a piece of me did too. He helped me through so much. I love Oliver and he is learning to be a wonderful dog but I always find myself comparing him to Moose.
                        ImageUploadedByTapatalk1350157214.652482.jpg
                        ImageUploadedByTapatalk1350157235.001061.jpg

Comment

I feel awful about it, but yeah I have favourites... Lyra & Harley. I've had Lyra less than a year and I can't believe how fast she's crept into my heart. She's earned herself a top place there

I love Ali & Monty too of course but I have a special bond with the other two girls
                          sigpic

Comment

boy, this is a tough one! all of my dogs have been my favorites, each for a unique reason.

if you held a gun to my head and MADE me choose, i would have to say simon. simon was retired after he got his championship and his owner was ready to place him in a retirement home and chose mine. he came to me at age 2, lived to almost 11, succumbed to degenerative myelopathy (thank GOD he never sired a litter!!!!!). simon went everywhere with me and when my husband was ill and at his death and for months afterward, simon was my comfort. he knew when i was down and he always managed to make me smile, even through my tears.

i weep now as i look at his pictures. miss you lil guy!!!

and my other favorite, for a reason most DOLers know.

simon and ashley had such a special bond. i often wondered, was it because he loved his mommy so much and knew that ashley was sent to help my heart heal after gary's death?
                            [SIGPIC]

Comment

Okay...Chance is definitely my favorite. But...my dogs also have favorites, too. Lucy loooooves my mom. As soon as she sits down, bam, Lucy's in her lap. Lucy also loves my daughter. But, she likes me. Now, Chance loves me. Follows me everywhere and doesn't like it when he can't see me. Has to be in the same room with me at all times. When I'm in the bathroom, he waits at the door. Lucy couldn't care less where I am unless I have food. When Savanah was with us, there was no favorite. Both of them were my favorites.

Don't get me wrong, I love Lucy, but Chance is my heart dog through and through.
                              Karen, Chance, Lucy and Savanah RB

sigpic

Comment

Working...
                              X