Am I crazy?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Am I crazy?

So words cannot express my love of dogs. I have 4 babies of my own who I would not give up for anything. Duke -1 year old dane, Sophie- 5 month old dane, Jagger- 2 yr old German shepherd, and Gracie - 2 year old terrier / lab mix. Some people - not everyone says I spend too much time and money on my dogs. But I wouldn't know what else to do with myself with out them! They get their high quality food, daily treats, monthly flea and heartworm preventative, they each have their own crate with beds in them, they have probably way too many toys, I've paid for the entire yard to be fenced in for them, they have their own couch, Their own human full sized bed, they get their yearly vet visit plus if they need to go to the vet for anything else, I've bought a SUV and sold my car for them, etc ,etc. I do have a social life still, believe it or not! Lol. Plus work ( only way I can afford these guys). But some people just think I should get rid of them, and that breaks my heart. I don't care if I was poor living on the streets, I'd do what ever was needed to keep my babies fed and comfortable even using all my money for them to be boarded at a kennel. I dunno, maybe people are just too irresponsible with their pets these days and don't get this?

What do you think? Am I a dog lover or just crazy? LOL

Crazy? no way! Every pet owner should do all they can do for their pets. They aren't accessories. They are part of the family! The people suggesting you get rid of them are crazy. If they have kids you should come back at them with, "you bought your kids fresh fruit and veggies, the latest designer jeans, a bed and what? and ipad? You need to get rid of those kids. They're costing you too much money and you spend WAY too much time with them." :P

Comment

Thanks! Glad someone agrees with me

Comment

You're asking the other patients in the asylum if you're crazy? You seem sane to me.
        Julie
        Duds and Miles 5- and 6-year-old fawns, Smudge (terrier mix); Bobke, Fig, Olive, Albert (cats); Einstein (African Grey), Rocky (Amazon Parrot).
        RIP Willow 12/95 - 04/04, Maia 03/05 - 10/11, Maverick 11/07-10/14, Spencer 05/06-12/14
        Upper Midwest Great Dane Rescue Volunteer www.thegreatdanerescue.com
        sigpic

Comment

I feel exactly the same way. My dogs make me laugh every single day. I can't say that about anyone else. They ARE my family and I will do whatever I can to keep them healthy and happy. I cannot imagine my life without them. My parents do not understand it because having them limits what we can do for vacations but that is okay, they don't have to understand. They want grandkids, instead they got granddogs. Sometimes it gets tough with all three but when I come home and there are three noses in the air all trying to reach me to give me kisses, well, there is not a better feeling in the world! I am glad there are other "crazy" people out there like me!
          Last edited by Valentina; 09-26-2012, 08:04 PM.

Comment

Sounds about right! You will constantly run into people who just don't understand but i don't think that will happen on this forum! There is nothing wrong with how you treat your fur babies!
            Love is being owned by a Great Dane.sigpic

Comment

You're probably a little crazy

I had four dogs while raising my two teenage kids on one income. I did it. It was hard and we pinched pennies, but we got it done. Three of those four dogs are now passed, replaced by two other happy spoiled dogs...and my teenagers are now young adults--and still live at home...Crazy or not, it all seems to be working well for all involved!

Don't let others steal your sunshine!
              Tracy
              sigpic
              Mouse April 2010
              Echo -- run free, Sweetie! Jan 9, 2007 - April 24, 2014 Lost to osteosarcoma at 7 years, 3 months. RIP.

Comment

Originally posted by Danewillow View Post
                You're asking the other patients in the asylum if you're crazy? You seem sane to me.
                sigpicBubbles the lap puppy

Comment

I'd say the people who are crazy are the ones telling you to give them up!
                  Who gives up a dog for no reason, after it's become part of your family?

I'm so thankful to have a "dog family" meaning most of us either have dogs or completely love dogs, so understand what comes with them. When there's an invite for dinner, it's just understood that the dogs are invited too. And at Christmas time, the granddogs get just as spoiled as the grandkids!
                  My little Bogartsigpic

Comment

Originally posted by Mw0493 View Post
                    So words cannot express my love of dogs. I have 4 babies of my own who I would not give up for anything. Duke -1 year old dane, Sophie- 5 month old dane, Jagger- 2 yr old German shepherd, and Gracie - 2 year old terrier / lab mix. Some people - not everyone says I spend too much time and money on my dogs. But I wouldn't know what else to do with myself with out them! They get their high quality food, daily treats, monthly flea and heartworm preventative, they each have their own crate with beds in them, they have probably way too many toys, I've paid for the entire yard to be fenced in for them, they have their own couch, Their own human full sized bed, they get their yearly vet visit plus if they need to go to the vet for anything else, I've bought a SUV and sold my car for them, etc ,etc. I do have a social life still, believe it or not! Lol. Plus work ( only way I can afford these guys). But some people just think I should get rid of them, and that breaks my heart. I don't care if I was poor living on the streets, I'd do what ever was needed to keep my babies fed and comfortable even using all my money for them to be boarded at a kennel. I dunno, maybe people are just too irresponsible with their pets these days and don't get this?

What do you think? Am I a dog lover or just crazy? LOL
                    To me, spending money on my pets is more fun than spending it on myself!

Well, food and medical care bills aren't fun, but nothing beats buying a new toy for the puppy, and then going home and surprising her with it!

What kind of people would tell you that you should get rid of your dogs because of how much money you spend on them? Shame on them. Your money, none of their business.
                    sigpicBubbles the lap puppy

Comment

If you are insane, you will find a lot of company here !

As a divorced parent of a college going almost 20 year old, and parent to a Dane, Africian Grey Parrot, 2 baby tortoises and a desert box turtle; the kid and the animals get all the goodies. Grain free kibble with mix ins; cranberry vitamin C and other dogzimes for Briar Rose; My own blend of bird seeds, nuts, dried fruit and vegies, along with cooked beans and pasta and seeds for the bird; organic spring greens with fresh fruit and vegies for the shelled ones, along with nightcrawlers for the turtle.....

And for us ? bulk chicken repackaged at home and frozen for convienience and price....steaks on sale only....

Andi

Comment

So true!

I've had friends say to me, "Your dog is like a son to you."

Duh! He is my son!

You're only crazy if you don't love your dogs that much... and you also suck!
                        sigpic
                        <, and Stef
                        <'
                        What do you call cheese that isn't yours? Macho Cheese!!

Comment

That is funny......

Maybe it is just me but I really don't care what people think. Do I make my dogs comfortable ? You bet !!!! Do we go overboard ??? You bet !!! Still, nobody has the right to ask to get rid of my babies nor does anybody have the balls to do so !!!!!
                          sigpic

Comment

I think this is the case for most people in this forum.

Comment

I so agree with you!! My parents want granchildren also, and instead have three granddogs! They just don't quite get it! My husband and I are also limited in being able to take vacations, but it does not bother us! We enjoy staying home and doing things with our babies!
                              I count myself among the "crazy" people!
                              sigpicStephanie Folker

Mom to:
                              Bonnie - female, pitbull/great dane mix -4 yrs.
                              Clyde - male, pitbull - 3 yrs.
                              Emma - female, great dane - 19 months

Comment

Working...
                              X