Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Vent - Co-workers (dane related - but long)

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Vent - Co-workers (dane related - but long)

ARGH!!!

Ok, now that thats out of my system. I know there is nothing I can do to fix this person, but she's been driving me insane for some time now and now its affecting my favorite breed.

I'm a vet tech, and I work in a good hospital, most of our staff truly love animals and would do anything for their pets. BUT, one of our receptionists really has a problem. In the year (and a couple months) I've worked here she has had 6 dogs.

First there was the chihuahua puppy- who was re-homed 2 days before I started working here

Then there was the springer spaniel puppy - he kept digging out of her fence when she left him outside all day.

Third was the doberman puppy - adopted/then returned to our local shelter when my co-worker couldnt afford dog food.

Fourth was the second chihuahua puppy - This one was probably around the longest, but when house breaking prooved difficult she was re-homed as well.

Fifth was the pure bred lab puppy - co-workers husband "found" on the side of the road. She lasted about 2 weeks because she was chewing things.

I'm getting close to the dane related part promise...

Now, fast forward to Friday, she comes up to me and shows me a picture on her phone. It's a piebald dane puppy. Adorable, of course, and most definitely from a BYB as I saw this puppy on craigslist a couple days earlier. She then proceeds to tell me that this is her new dog. When I asked her why she spouted off all kinds of un-educated babble. This girl shouldn't own any dog, let alone a dane. She is less than a week away from having a baby, has a 5 year old at home, and can barely afford to feed her family let alone a dane. I wish I could have slapped her.

I politely kept my mouth shut, but made it very clear to her that if for any reason she felt she could not keep this puppy to let me know first and that I would take him and keep him or get him to a reputable dane rescue.
    sigpic
    Dreamer, Lennon, and Nathan lounging at Nanny's house.

Of all the things I've lost...I miss my Danes the most..

sigpic
    1 husband * 1 teenager * 2 great danes * 2 boxers * 1 cats * 2 African cichlids * 34 land hermit crabs
    RIP Tyler RIP Smokey
    http://thegratedanegane.wordpress.com/

Comment

Its all you can do. Some folks are just unteachable.
      sigpic

Comment

I just really hope that she takes to heart my offer to take him when he becomes to much for her to handle. The last thing I want to see is him on craigslist...again.
        sigpic

Comment

I bet that poor pup is in your care within 6 weeks. At least he'll thence off to a better start! Ugh.
          sigpicKelly

Comment

sigpic
            Mom to:
            Danes Kobe and Sabre.

Dachshunds Penny and Otto.
            Pit Bulls Brees and Crystal.
            Chihuahua puppy Jersey.
            5 year old princess Ariel.

Comment

I hope at least her previous dogs found good homes. Hopefully in short time he will be in your home.

I know exactly how you feel. I'm on an all breed private dog forum and one member does the exact same thing. However on that board we have to play nicey nice. I vented my frustrations once in a nice way and that did not go over very well. Luckily she's not as active as she once was (neither am I) so she only posts on occasion. Red flags popped up for me shortly after she joined and we were discussing someone having to put down their older dog and she mentioned she had never had to make that decision as she's never had a senior dog before. This was shortly after she rehomed her golden when it was decided he would not make a good service dog...........so at that point I thought a legitimate reason, she was training him as her hearing dog.

In the 3 or so years she's been a member, she's rehomed no less than 10 dogs. I've lost track. Several b/c they've failed as service dogs................after a more recent rehome I finally asked why she kept picking random dogs for potential service dogs since they usually needed a very specific temperament and personality for such work. Apparently they have all passed whatever initial test she was giving them.

She's rehomed 2 goldens, a poodle, the poodle's son (a whole other almost unbelievable story there), a toy poodle, 2 shih tzu, and several mixed breeds...........not all of these were in training for service work, only about half. I'm sure I'm forgetting a few. The only dogs that have remained constant have been the toy poodle and dachsie that are her husbands' dogs. The one poodle (son) lasted the longest and I really thought he would stick around. But he attacked someone's yorkie and the owner had their landlord force her to get rid of him or face eviction. I'm sure the current dog will be gone after a few months as well. However, they now live in the middle of nowhere so may be harder to get a new dog, thank goodness.
              sigpic

Chris, mom to: Keiko--husky/shep mix (RIP), Gunther--great dane, Nigel and Posey--rat terriers, Pasta--cockatiel, Louigi--peach fronted conure, Hamlet--blue crowned conure

Comment

Sounds like another person I know... Wants a dog, but lacks the patience to train it....

Why don't people chack references before allowing a puppy to go to a new home - (guess that is another thread huh?)

Hope you enjoy your new dane pup in a few weeks.
                sigpic

Comment

Oh my! Sorry you are going through this.... It really is a shame you have to constantly be reminded of this situation/coworker. Sometimes when dealing with a coworker you never get a mental break from this crap! I go through simular circumstances and it is really hard when I see the "puppy-flipper" rolling eyes when I enter the room or when another coworker sees another addition in a window in a pet store and I wonder how long before this doggie is ousted from the home! The incessant potty training q's and advise ignored due to the fact that potty issues just one of many justifications to toss!

Hugs my dear!
                  June, Bumper (deaf & blind), Joey, Daisy, and Angel Ann (deaf)
                  RIP Dakota Blue Moon
                  Oct 27, 2006, Oct 01, 2012

"I'd tell ya...but I'd have ta lick ya"
                  sigpic

Comment

Besides the horrible things this girl is doing with her swinging dog door, I often wonder what kind of Vet hires and continues to employ people like this.

You would think a good Vet would NEVER want someone like her working for them.

So many people do what this girl does-it's just all too common, but employing someone that really doesn't care about animals really floors me the most.

This girl sounds like she has some real serious issues. Unfortunely, the dogs suffer.
                    sigpic
                    www.rescuemetugz.com

Michele, Roscoe, Ava, Romeo, (RIP Daphne)
                    http://www.onetruemedia.com/shared?p=732e92418610139ae96918&skin_id=701&utm_so urce=otm&utm_medium=text_url
                    Be part of the solution by not being part of the problem. NO BYB's!!

Comment

Originally posted by DaphneandRoscoe View Post
                      You would think a good Vet would NEVER want someone like her working for them.
                      I kinda have to agree with Michelle on this one. It seems like the person in charge of this hospital would sit this girl down and have a serious conversation with her about responsible pet ownership. Maybe coming from her boss, some of it would sink in....
                      sigpic
                      Hank 02/07/2010
                      Sam 08/25/2007 - 06/28/2013

Comment

They have tried to talk to her, but she continues to do the same things. Why they want to continue to employ her? I have no clue. She's not the best employee and it's no secret that she does this with pets.

I can't help but wonder who is taking care of her 9 week old puppy right now because I just heard she went into labor last night. So she's at the hospital having a baby and this poor puppy is where???

I think this situation bothers me more than most just because of everything I went through having to re-home Lennon and Dreamer last year. I still miss them like crazy, and still cry over them often. So to see someone get dogs and then dump them for stupid reasons just drives me insane. The fact that it's now a Dane only makes it worse...
                        sigpic

Comment

I have this same problem w/ a girl I work w/. I am a groomer for petsmart. Our company's big thing is to find "homeless" animals loving forever homes. We work closely w/ many local adoption agencies to make this happen. We have a pet trainer there that adopts and rehomes dogs and cats all the time. Probably over 10 in a couple of years. She isn't fostering, she is just adopting them, then rehoming when they "don't work out" for whatever reason. She makes me sick. Where is that vomit emoticon when you need it?
                          Michele
                          Mom to: Angel huskyx (3/15/2001), Lestat labx (12/1/2001), Mystra beaglex (04/01/2005), Merlin airedale (08/01/2012)
                          RIP my loves:
                          Isis (dane) (7/1/2005-11/5/2011), Venus (dane) (9/1/02-06/24/13)

Comment

Update..

My pleas to my co-worker went unanswererd. I noticed the poor babywas posted on Craigslist lastnight.

There have been 3 posts on Craigslist in the last week for a great Dane puppy, the first two posts has no pictures or phone number so I tried not to speculate, but the post from yesterday contained pictures and a phone number. That was more than enough for me to confirm.

I'm so sad, everyone I work with was telling me just to call her, pay her "re-homing fee" and take him, but I can not in good conscience give this girl money for a dog she should have never gotten in the first place. Management at work is involved in the situation and we will see how the rest of it unfolds...
                            sigpic

Comment

The only thought i have at this point is that she most likely won't screen homes and he may end up on there again :/ I know you don't want to give her money for a dog that she should have never even gotten but it may be worth it so you know he is in a good loving home. I hate that these situations even happen hopefully your management will be able to do something. Though I figure they have to walk a thin line.

Comment

Working...
                              X