New Dane... what are the "musts"?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• New Dane... what are the "musts"?

The new girl that will be coming home this evening will be dog #3 in our house.
    Obviously, we have food bowls and beds. We have leashes and collars and treats.
    I don't have a stand for her to eat off of yet, so I'll be putting her food bowl on a chair, to keep it elevated. DH should have the stand completed this weekend.

What are some of the "must have's" for you guys?

Sounds like you have the basics figured out. I'd get a couch cover/blanket....
    sigpicKelly and Cosmo.

Comment

Slobber towels
      sigpic
      CHDANTRYDANES SUNNY SIDE OF LIFE- "Moose"
      Born: April 10,2011

FINISHED IN 1 WEEKEND
      Bitch-CHDANTRYDANES SHE'S A NATURAL
      Stud-CHDANTRYDANES OUT OF AZORES

Comment

It sounds like you have your bases covered. I would read up about raised feeders. The newest researched suggests that it can actually contribute to bloat. I have Tucker's food raised ever so slightly for comfort purposes. My papillions can still drink his water, if that gives you an idea of how high I have it. You will have to post pics of the "fur family."
        ~ Erin ~
        "People don't buy what you do; they buy why you do it. And what you do simply proves what you believe." - Simon Sinek
        sigpic

Comment

I second the slobber towels...I have the water bowls in the bathroom and inevitably the only time they drink is when I'm sitting on the toilet...not a nice feeling for them to be drooling water all over you while your pants are down

(sorry for the visual )

If you don't own a large bed, or a couch just for them, I would also look into that
          sigpic
          "Mom, he's touching me"
          Emily - Mom of Mick (12yo collie/aussie), Rosie (9yo fawn dane) and Keebler (4yo black dane)

Comment

Congrats on the new addition! Good, quality food, you need to be careful about a dane puppy's growth (this is a puppy, right?). I personally love the clicker for training, and wouldn't want to be without it (one with a wrist band-without it I was constantly loosing the clicker, or clicking it too late by grabbing it seconds later). The CAMERA! Make sure the camera is around at all times! At some point you may want a crate, or at least be able to make a room completely puppy safe (which is hard). There are so many things that are dangerous if a puppy is not being watched, and lets face it, we can't watch them ALL the time.
            sigpic
            1 husband * 1 teenager * 2 great danes * 2 boxers * 1 cats * 2 African cichlids * 34 land hermit crabs
            RIP Tyler RIP Smokey
            http://thegratedanegane.wordpress.com/

Comment

She's actually an adult.

So, no to the raised feeder?
              I admit, I've been out of the dane loop for several years... but with our previous dane, we were told to keep his food bowl elevated?

Comment

Adult, even better IMO! I do the raised feeder, some people don't. Basically the studies are inconclusive on whether or not it aids in digestion. It's a personal choice. You can search it on the forum.
                sigpic
                1 husband * 1 teenager * 2 great danes * 2 boxers * 1 cats * 2 African cichlids * 34 land hermit crabs
                RIP Tyler RIP Smokey
                http://thegratedanegane.wordpress.com/

Comment

Our other's dane's feeder was only raised about six inches off the floor. Maybe we'll do that.

All of our dogs have come to us as adults... we're not really puppy people. We much prefer adults, they're just easier for us to deal with.

Comment

Originally posted by oubball14 View Post
                    I second the slobber towels...I have the water bowls in the bathroom and inevitably the only time they drink is when I'm sitting on the toilet...not a nice feeling for them to be drooling water all over you while your pants are down

(sorry for the visual )

If you don't own a large bed, or a couch just for them, I would also look into that
                    It's the coldest feeling in the world..

Congrats on the new addition!
                    sigpic
                    CHDANTRYDANES SUNNY SIDE OF LIFE- "Moose"
                    Born: April 10,2011

FINISHED IN 1 WEEKEND
                    Bitch-CHDANTRYDANES SHE'S A NATURAL
                    Stud-CHDANTRYDANES OUT OF AZORES

Comment

I have 4 dogs not all danes but i would def get another sofa i dont used raised feeder for my dane puppy but i do have a wrought iron one that my goldens use..

Comment

I feed on top of a big rubbermaid bin. the lip holds the bowls from sliding.

Andi

Comment

Hilarious! Thanks for the tip! When we remodeled our bathrooms also knonw as the "petting rooms" we had to size the doors and rooms to allow 3 boxers at one time in... at least they can stand under a great dane!

Comment

Originally Posted by oubball14

(sorry for the visual )

Hilarious! Thanks for the tip! When we remodeled our bathrooms also knonw as the "petting rooms" we had to size the doors and rooms to allow 3 boxers at one time in... at least they can stand under a great dane!

Comment

Toys .. toys... chewie toys and more toys. I honestly believe Phineas hasn't eaten my house (yet!) because he was given so many toys to chew on instead.

And I third the slobber towels. Wet faced puppadoodles!
                              sigpic

Comment

Working...
                              X