Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

"Hair of the dog" much? Dog-Fur clothing?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• "Hair of the dog" much? Dog-Fur clothing?

Not what it sounds like..

I noticed all this dern shed hair Simon leaves on my Black bedsheets... and wondered if somewhere in the world people used pet fur sheddings to make clothing, blankets, etc... this is what I found..

http://ifitshipitshere.blogspot.com/...of-people.html

Strange... but interesting. Anyone done this?

I won't even BEGIN to express my gag-inducing appall of the cat's hairball jewelry toward the end of the page. lol
    - Chris
    "Peace is not merely a distant goal that we seek, but a means by which we arrive at that goal"
    sigpic

If I were so inclined, I'd be rich. But, I'm not so inclined.
    Last edited by audreys; 02-25-2012, 04:39 PM.
    "The human language, as precise as it is with its thousands of words, can still be so wonderfully vague"....Garth Stein The Art of Racing in the Rain

Comment

Fawn dogs - creme colored sheets,

Black dogs - black sheets, etc

I put a cheap sheet on top of my bed to try to protect my sheets. I kind of works. I have to shake out the dirt, hair, etc every day and sweep my floor.
      Oh the joys of having dogs.

Comment

Well replacing my back sheets with white sheets seems futile.. Simon has snow white hair.... but white sheets won't last 5 mniutes with Simon using my bed as a trampoline lol
        - Chris
        "Peace is not merely a distant goal that we seek, but a means by which we arrive at that goal"
        sigpic

Comment

I went to an art show many years ago now and there is a women there that had a big bag of dog fur that she was spinning into balls of yarn. She was making clothing. No different then wool, alpaca, mohair, etc.

My white schnauzer had the most amazing soft hair. I gave him a haircut the day I put him down a few weeks ago and kept a whole bag of his powder puff like hair! Obviously not going to make clothes with it, but I'll keep it for something.. dunno yet. It'll come to me in one of my creative moments. I was originally thinking of having one of my gal pals needle felt it into a tiny minature of my doggie.
          sigpic

Comment

I have a black dane, a black and white border collieX, an ORANGE huskyX, a tabby cat and a gray cat...

I'm just going to make a big box and fill it with straw for all of us...
            Tracy
            sigpic
            Mouse April 2010
            Echo -- run free, Sweetie! Jan 9, 2007 - April 24, 2014 Lost to osteosarcoma at 7 years, 3 months. RIP.

Comment

There is a group of ladies that gather to knit at a Caribou Coffee by me. One of them takes dog hair and spins it into yarn and knits it.
              sigpic
              Deb

Duke and Ivy

Comment

lol cat hairball jewelry sounds lovely............
                sigpic
                Mother to 4 human kids, 1 french bulldog (Duke), and 1 Great Dane (Madison) and 1 lionhead rabbit. My home is filled with love.

Comment

I actually had my husky/shep's hair spun into yarn for a small project a few years ago. I made a friendship bracelet for a friend of mine and hand dyed the yarn myself.

I continue to keep her hair (only the really nice stuff I hand strip) and have about 3-4 small plastic bags full. I will have a hat and scarf made from her hair. I already found a person to do it..........however, they do not dye the hair and I really want it to match her blue eye.
                  sigpic

Chris, mom to: Keiko--husky/shep mix (RIP), Gunther--great dane, Nigel and Posey--rat terriers, Pasta--cockatiel, Louigi--peach fronted conure, Hamlet--blue crowned conure

Comment

We have black Ximmy, fawn Sprocket and cats with every other available color. My solution......Earthtone Plaid!!!!
                    sigpicLynn - Ximmy's Mom's Mom - John & Lynsie, skin kids, Faela & Gus skin grandkids,OnzaPous, ReignaPous, Banshee & Kit-ten and now Dare Devil and Fuzzy Butt the cats, and of course......Ximmy Ximmy Xoom Xoom and [COLOR=red]Sprocket (aka Sprockey Wocky Puppy Pants) and Sibanca our newest Dane rescue

Comment

I have a knitting pattern book called "Knit Your Own Dog" filled with knitting patterns for different breeds, and it discusses turning your dog's hair into yarn. It was the first I'd ever heard of it!
                      Misty, Leonidas (Dane), and Valor (Pomeranian Mix)
                      Current 52 Photo Project:http://flic.kr/s/aHsjDu8ALZ

Comment

"earthtone plaid" the perfect solution.

I too keep a sheet on top of the quilt and blanket to keep the majority of Briar hair and drool off of my linens. Since she sleeps on the bed with me, I end up changing 'her' sheet every couple of days...I think it helps...

Andi

Comment

I'm a spinner and our previous dog was a chow/samoyed cross. I've saved some of her hair to spin one day and make something special with it. I haven't been able to do it so far because everytime I open the bag and touch it, I start to cry. As a fiber to knit with, it's not much different than using wool from sheep or fur from a rabbit.

PS: I also think the cat hairball jewelry is strange, but my guess is that it isn't an actual hairball.
                          sigpic

Willow says: Can I have my apple, please?

Comment

do you need to put frontline on those things?

Comment

Originally posted by saharadane View Post
                              Fawn dogs - creme colored sheets,

Black dogs - black sheets, etc

I put a cheap sheet on top of my bed to try to protect my sheets. I kind of works. I have to shake out the dirt, hair, etc every day and sweep my floor.
                              Oh the joys of having dogs.
                              I have just started putting a sheet on my bed to protect my RED comforter. I will have to go out and buy some gray sheets now....
                              sigpicKelly and Cosmo.

Comment

Working...
                              X