Tie out ideas....

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Tie out ideas....

What kind of tie do you use/recommend? Cinna has gone through 2 ties outs a bush and a small tree that he has taken for a walk. A fence is not an option because of our housing and he LOVES just laying out side during the day.

HELP!
    sigpic

Got any taller trees? You can put poles in the ground?
    Ever seen the dog trolley, zip line things?

http://www.petco.com/product/5994/Pe...t-Trolley.aspx
    No fear of getting all tangled up, gives dog the feeling of freedom.

Comment

You have to be so careful with tie-outs. Personally, I would never recommend leaving a dog outside unattended, especially with the risk that other dogs could come into your yard and attack your dog or someone could steal him, but thats just me.

If you are inclined to risk your dog then burying a corner post at least 5ft into the ground (and maybe even using cement to reinforce) and leaving 5ft above ground then using something chew proof to tie him out. With this though (just as you would tying him to a tree/bush) you will have to watch to make sure he doesnt tangle himself up.
      Carolyn
      Divine Acres Great Danes
      Divine Acres The Legend "Bruce" 5 1/2 months old..5th generation of DA Danes!
      sigpic

Comment

Most pit bull and husky people I know always use half a car axel buried in the ground, run a o-ring around it before you push it in and attach a chain to it, it's all the way in the ground so they can't tangle on it. There is a sled dog guy up here who use a metal pole, must be cemented in and the chain comes out the top of it. You can't have anything the dog can get tangled in around it, or jump over and hang themselves if you are doing a tie-out. Same with a trolley, I'll see if I can find the heavy duty one I've seen recommended. Like Carolyn said, I wouldn't leave him out there if you aren't though, if some kid runs into his face or another dog or someone wants to take him, etc. I use a tie out for my jumper but it's in a fenced yard and when I am out there. Also make sure he's got a strong collar on as well, strength of the tie out isn't going to do any good if he snaps the collar off.

Comment

I wouldn't risk non-supervised tie outs. It is unsafe for your dog. Just go on more walks.
          sigpic
          Logan, Member GDCA and Past President GDCMF
          Int'l CH & AM GCH Legacys Killer Instinct, TT, CHIC (Kaos)
          www.lokenigreatdanes.com

Comment

We have used a twisted metal tie out (they sell at lowe's) when we go camping while we set up...but by no means would that ever hold a bored dog more than 30 mins :S especially not a great dane!
            how long does he love to lay out there for??

Comment

Originally posted by Carolyn View Post
              You have to be so careful with tie-outs. Personally, I would never recommend leaving a dog outside unattended, especially with the risk that other dogs could come into your yard and attack your dog or someone could steal him, but thats just me.
              This^. Just yesterday there was someone on my post Facebook page who found out that the adult husky they bought from someone two months ago had actually been stolen seven months ago from the San Francisco area and had to return him. People would steal a Dane pup without even hesitating.
              Misty, Leonidas (Dane), and Valor (Pomeranian Mix)
              Current 52 Photo Project:http://flic.kr/s/aHsjDu8ALZ

Comment

How about getting a chair and a good book and sitting out there with him on something like a 20 foot training leash. Or if you have enough space in your yard, get two and tie them together. Stick the hand end under the chair leg and you become the stake. He gets to roam without really being off leash and you can have the security of knowing nothing bad is going to happen. Plus, never hurts to take a few minutes each day to read a good book and soak up a little sunshine!

Edited to add... You can get a 50 footer on Amazon for $13.00
                Last edited by Angel7292; 12-05-2011, 11:23 AM.
                sigpic

Comment

What about an x-pen? That is much better than a tie out-which I wouldn't do...you can get x-pens at Petsmart-it would be worth the extra cost.

Comment

I agree with most of the above comments. Tie - outs are very risky.
                    sigpicLexi...Forever in my heart. 2005 - 2011

Comment

Tie-outs scare me too, especially with the dangers of a 100+lb dog having 20-50ft of lead room before getting jerked to a halt on its collar. I understand that he loves laying outside, but to be honest, it's just not safe for so many reasons.
                      Katie & Scarlett
                      sigpic

Comment

We had a cable tie out between our house and a big tree, but only for the winter morning potty break before we had a door CUT in the back of our garage for fenced yard access. Each of the three dogs got about five minutes--just enough time for quick potty opportunities--one after the other, as I got ready in the morning. Otherwise, we didn't use it.
                        Tracy
                        sigpic
                        Mouse April 2010
                        Echo -- run free, Sweetie! Jan 9, 2007 - April 24, 2014 Lost to osteosarcoma at 7 years, 3 months. RIP.

Comment

I have 3 of these for my dogs (although theirs are used indoors) .. I like that they have a tarped ceiling (although I don't use mine) if you're usingi t outdoors to shield the sun.

They are attractive, sturdy, and unless you dog has steel jaws .. I dont' see them being able to chew out of it.

Just hammer the 3" legs down into the dirt .. and they aren't going anywhere (they are heavy).

http://www.walmart.com/ip/ASPCA-Prem...-Dogs/10811481

I don't particularly like tie outs either .. dogs always end up with their legs tangled up and I'm always afraid they will break a leg or something .. plus if I tie any of mine to anything .. they freak the F out and pull and pull and pull .. which can lead to at least 3 things .. A. they slip out of their collar (or break it) and run away, B. They hurt themselves straining, C. Your neighbors end up calling A.C. on you because you have a puppy tied on a chain/rope/tether (no matter the name the effect is the same and most people don't like it).
                          Last edited by BigLittleSmall; 12-05-2011, 02:54 PM.
                          sigpic
                          A backyard breeder (BYB) is someone who has been deemed not a reputable breeder.

A "Responsible Breeder" supports their buyers, supports their own dogs, and supports the lives of any fututre puppies by having (and keeping up with) all the appropriate health testing suggested by the GDCA.

Comment

He is not out of sight when he is outside. I am in my living room with plain site of my yard. he is only out there for less than 10 min because it is all I can stand to have him out there for. He would go out all day if I let him. However bundling a 2 month old baby and 2 toddlers every 20 mins he decides he needs to lay out is not happening. It is just for quick time outs mainly especially with it getting cold outside.

I see everyone's concerns I do live on a small military base so the theft thing is less of an issue with me watching from my windows. I am more worried about all theses damn turkey's he has been dying to eat.
                            sigpic

Comment

Best Dog Tie Out - tangle free tie out

The only tie out that is strong enough to hold two dogs- no problem- is the Double Dog Run.

It is a ground anchor system that allows the dogs to run in 360 degrees and never get tangled. The double dog run can hold two dogs at a time and it will not tangle. The tie out system can hold 800 lbs plus.

Whether it is one dog or two this tie out system is awesome and stress free.

Comment

Working...
                              X