dental chews?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• dental chews?

I'm interested in getting Sophie some dental chews, but there are so many choices! My vet suggested Hills or Purina. What dental chews have your danes tried, and which ones would you recommend, and which ones would you NOT recommend?

Also, I read on here about antler chews. I was looking online and saw that they have deer, elk and moose. If you have xperience with these, does it really matter which kind to get?
    Aspens Good Girl Sophie, "Sophie" 11/16/02-6/6/13
    goodgirlboutique.com

My dogs have great teeth. Very clean. I have NEVER had to have my oldest dogs cleaned (11yrs), and Goliath is doing well so far (minnd you he is a pup), and Charlie's teeth have improved since coming here.

I give my dogs bones from the butcher. They occupy themselves for hours and clean clean clean their teeth in the process. I do not waste my money on denta-bones etc.
    sigpic

Comment

What would I say to a butcher? "Do you have any spare bones?" "beef bones"? Are there certain kinds I need to ask for? Do I need to clean them first?

I've never had SOphie's teeth cleaned, and I attempted to a few times when she was younger but she hated it and I never did it again, she was pretty stubborn about it.
      goodgirlboutique.com

Comment

We give our dogs Check-ups. Dylan and Ike are both addicted to them, and their teeth have never looked better!

Comment

Originally posted by kcornel4 View Post
          We give our dogs Check-ups. Dylan and Ike are both addicted to them, and their teeth have never looked better!
          Where do you get those from? Sophie's breath is pretty bad
          goodgirlboutique.com

Comment

Originally posted by keebert View Post
            What would I say to a butcher? "Do you have any spare bones?" "beef bones"? Are there certain kinds I need to ask for? Do I need to clean them first?

I've never had SOphie's teeth cleaned, and I attempted to a few times when she was younger but she hated it and I never did it again, she was pretty stubborn about it.
            I just normally ask the butcher if they have any bones for dogs. If they do, they normally will just give them to you at no cost. Here the butcher bags them up into about 6 bones a bag and freezes them. Which is really nice. then he gives you a few bags or whatever you need .

Oh but they can get messy, so put a towel down and confine the dog to the kitchen area or outside when you give them.

sigpic

Comment

The butcher in Washington use to have RAW and smoked femur bones. I also got the raw ones and had them cut up anywhere from 4-8 pieces.

Here the butcher just has raw femur bones and they are precut.

My dogs love them raw.

The also get GREENIES every few days cause it makes me feel better... They know what "brush your teefers" means they are getting a greenie.

The vet says our 7 year old dog has the teeth of a 2 year old. So either Im lucky or the raw bones are doing him some good.
              sigpicMom to
              Gracie Lou (GD)
              Boobah (Mixed)
              Charlie(Cat)

Comment

Yes...these bones are raw also. That is why they can get messy.

The other nice thing about freezing them is that on a hot summer day...thay make an AWESOME treat.
                sigpic

Comment

You can also ask your butcher for knuckle bones. I know not all butchers will carry a variety for dogs, but most, if not all of them should have knuckle bones. They'll also fit in your freezer better. We did a giant femur bone once..............a month to finish...........lol. (letting her chew for an hour at a time, then refreezing).

As for other chews, I love healthy edibles by nylabone. They are completely edible, and completely digestible, unlike some of the other chews out there. They come in a few sizes (great for me, with multiple sized dogs) as well as a variety of flavors.

Besides antlers, we also use stuffed bones/bleached bones/shin bones. They last forever, I think some of them I've had for over 4 yrs before they get worn down enough to toss. they're also relatively inexpensive too.
                  sigpic

Chris, mom to: Keiko--husky/shep mix (RIP), Gunther--great dane, Nigel and Posey--rat terriers, Pasta--cockatiel, Louigi--peach fronted conure, Hamlet--blue crowned conure

Comment

We use antlers at our house mainly because they don't stink, don't stain the carpet, and they last forever at my house. I buy the large and jumbo, but the guy also has super jumbo (which is supposed to be the thickness of a baseball bat). I used to buy just deer, but I did buy some elk about a month ago and Tucker seems to prefer them over the deer. Must taste different! Tucker teeth are really clean too. I usually buy 3 at a time, and they last between 3-6 months before I need to start thinking about getting new ones.
                    ~ Erin ~
                    "People don't buy what you do; they buy why you do it. And what you do simply proves what you believe." - Simon Sinek
                    sigpic

Comment

@ Keebert

Re: Check Ups

We get ours at Costco

Comment

I started with Elk antlers 6 months ago. 3 of my dogs were going to need a vet dental cleaning if I didn't find something that worked. The antlers not only worked for the WHOLE pack, but saved me from that pricey vet bill.

I used to do knuckle bones, and they worked very well, however a problem came up when I caught my girl trying to swallow hunks at a time off them!!!! The antlers just don't crumble down like that, so they are safe chewies for the whole pack.
                        sigpic
                        "Show me your dog, and I will tell you what manner of man you are."
                        ~Capt. Max von Stephanitz
                        Anubis CGC (RIP) , Cheza CGC, Schwarz Frost von Lichtefeld CGCA THD TDIA, Steele Gunner Goatsbane CGCA, and Professional House Dog Oliver.

Comment

Working...
                        X