Best toy and chewy bone?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Best toy and chewy bone?

I have a rawhide bone to chew on, well Cinna to chew on. He has a few chew toys and he loves these busy bones things we found. I know I need to get him a kong. He does have a femur bone I fill with PB.

What are the best bones to chew on? Treat style bones? Toy style? Are any bad for him?
    sigpic

I wouldn't use rawhide - try bully sticks or antlers instead

Comment

i'm looking into the antlers too... excited about that.

xena loves her nylabone. BUT you HAVE to get the biggest one or your dane can break pieces off and eat it. NOT GOOD. xena has the one called BIG CHEW. it is their toughest one. she absolutely loves it and can't destroy it.
      sigpic
      xena and her dane friend duchess
      Heather
      and Xena the Warrior Dane
      find us on FB
      http://www.facebook.com/XenaWarriorDane
      http://www.facebook.com/pages/Xena-t...51824241520044

Comment

Texas has this "indestructible" hard plastic 12" egg that I got from a feed store. She absolutely loves it. She dribbles it like a soccer player, up and down the yard. She wrestles it, pounces on it, and tries to chew it. She has chewed a tiny hole in it lately, and can now sometimes carry it around in her mouth - precariously!

She also loves her Orbee ball - a bit bigger than a tennis ball.

She has never come around to her antler piece though...

Oh, and she LOVES bully sticks... but goes through a huge one in a single sitting.
        sigpicTexas... my first dane!

Comment

Rio has a bone that Nessa (THCdanes) brought with him and he and Katie share it. It was stuffed with something (peanut butter, chicken?). Rio also loves his Kong, but he doesn't seem to care if they're stuffed or not. He also loves his Snugga Wubba (thanks DOL for that LOL). We plan on getting him a jolly ball, but wanted to wait till it's cooler outside b/c that is definitely NOT an indoor toy LMAO We also plan on trying out the antlers.
          My Blog: My Fur-Real Life

sigpic

*Jennifer*
          Wife to John, Mom to McKayla and Chris
          Owned by Katie and Rio

Comment

The Orbeez Cosmo balls are awesome. Also, regular raw bones (beef necks are a fave around here) are great for chewing and cleaning teeth. Scarlett also loves her Chuck-It rubber tennis balls. I find them at the park all the time and bring them home for her - we have about 10 and she just loves to put one in her mouth and squeeze it with her jaws until she falls asleep. They are probably her #1 chew. If you're going to get a Kong (you should!) get the black one. It's tougher than the red ones.
            Katie & Scarlett
            sigpic

Comment

I just tried the antlers and I am very pleased how it keeps their teeth clean
              sigpic

Comment

Ok...a lot of you and a lot of dog owners in general recommend a kong. Why? What is the deal with them? I just don't get it when I look at them. How is it such a great thing that it apparently is? lol thanks for opinions.
                sigpic

Comment

Kongs were developed for big & giant dogs as an almost indestructible toy that bounced strangely and was stuffable for a long time of entertainment in one toy.
                  I had show boxers when I found Kong toys and was thrilled how well they worked to use up boxer craziness.(a bazillion years ago)
                  sigpicLynn - Ximmy's Mom's Mom - John & Lynsie, skin kids, Faela & Gus skin grandkids,OnzaPous, ReignaPous, Banshee & Kit-ten and now Dare Devil and Fuzzy Butt the cats, and of course......Ximmy Ximmy Xoom Xoom and [COLOR=red]Sprocket (aka Sprockey Wocky Puppy Pants) and Sibanca our newest Dane rescue

Comment

Kongs sure don't look like much but they are amazing. They're not a toy that you "play" with like a tug or a tennis ball, but it's a great solitary activity for the dog. You do need to make it interactive by stuffing it with food goodies though (Scarlett's favourite is frozen cheese/potato perogies with peanut butter). Sometimes she'll suck on her Kong when it isn't stuffed but she definitely prefers it stuffed (can't imagine why...). For even more fun, you can freeze them.

Best benefits: drain excess energy, ease/prevent separation anxiety, assist crate training, soothe teething, and fun fun fun. Must have for any dog owner.
                    Katie & Scarlett
                    sigpic

Comment

Working...
                    X