Slightly irritated...

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Slightly irritated...

Some of you may remember me taking in Kasey, the pug, as a temporary dogsitting venture for a friend that turned into long term. (2wks has now been 2 years) No biggie, she's provided all food, medical care and monetary responsibility, he's just lived here with us. Well, yesterday our texting convo went like this:

Me: hey, next time you're in NN, Kasey needs food. BTW..I looked at his teeth last night and they're getting pretty bad. Call your vet & see what they charge for a dental. It can wait a few months since I know money is tight but start putting some aside so you can get his teeth cleaned.

Her: ok, I'll get his food. how much does the dental run?

Me: depends on the vet, size of the dog and type/amount of anesthesia but in my experience anywhere from $200-400.

Her: well, I'll get his food but it's hard for me to shell out money for a dog that I can't even keep with me. So I guess what I'm saying is I need to give him up, whether you keep him or we find him a home.

Really? Seriously? I ask you to start saving money for a simple, but needed, procedue and you suddenly can't be responsible for him anymore? I guess it would be different if I didn't know her entire financial situation. Yes, she's living at home with her parents but they don't charge her rent or anything towards utilities. Her car is paid for, she has no credit cards and no loans. So other than insurance, what she contributes for food and daily things they need, she has no bills and I know what her income is as I tried to help her when she was attempting to purchase a townhome last year. She has a huge Coach bag addiction though. Maybe one less handbag in place of a teeth cleaning?

Don't get me wrong, I love my friend to death. I'm just irritated at how she's handling this situation, and hard for me to swallow when I know all the minute details.

It is official, after 2 years of "dogsitting", Kasey (aka: Hoover, aka: The Turd, aka: Piglet) is officially ours. He fits in so well with our pack and Stella is his BFF, it would probably do him harm to try and rehome him again. Is he crazy? yes. Neurotic? yes Hilarious? yes Cute when he sits still? Definitely. Sigh...so I now have 5 dogs that need dentals, when I just cut my hours back to part time and plan on applying to grad school next year.

5 dogs and 4 cats: I am tapped out, and the dust bunnies have taken over the building.

/rant
    Stella (Merle), Zeus (Blue)
    Noogie-Boogie (Doxxie)
    Kasey (Pug aka: the turd)

The Felines: Precious, Chloe & Ray
    At the Bridge: Fluffy, Brandy, Tiffany, Gizmo, Woof, Scrappy, Duke, Shay, Cleo, Vader, Pepper, Conner

I seriously don't understand some people, their priorities get all jumbled.
    My Blog: My Fur-Real Life

sigpic

*Jennifer*
    Wife to John, Mom to McKayla and Chris
    Owned by Katie and Rio

Comment

You are an angel for taking care of Casey as long as you have. I would have given her an ultimatum a while ago. It is a good thing he is small, cute, and already has an in..lol...a warm welcome to your now OFFICIAL new member!!!!...he is in the right place!!!!! hugs to you for caring for him. Who knows where he would be now without you!!!
      There IS Nothin Like a Dane !

Comment

Friends are the hardest to deal with in these situations.

I'd be having a converstaion because IF she is serious - I would loose respect for her. And I would be one to be very up front that I do not understand where her priorites are - and my feelings about it.

Seriously: you know she has the financial ability to care for the dog - but is CHOOSING to not to care for him as originally agreed when you were asked to take the dog (?temporarily?). She either needs to man up and pay for her dog - or if she is unwilling to be responsible for the dog - then she needs to sign an owner-release and - and acknowledge that the dog may stay with you or may be rehomed - and that she no longer has any claim to the dog.

I would personally feel taken advantage of beacuse I, too, would be attached to the dog and would end up trying to stretch my own finances and keeping the dog.

I had an acquaintance who begged me to rehome 2 cats for her. I warned her that she was going to regret it - and that IF I did it - I could get them into an adoption program, but I would not be privy to the adoption info and would not know where they went, how they were doing, etc., and therefore I did not want to be asked about them.. I also warned her that she would regret it, feel guilty, and that I disagreed with this choice...and while I could help the cats find new homes - I refused to help her deal with her guilt & would not discuss it with her at all once it was done.
        sigpicNikol Marsh & Glory, Emma, Tycho & Bronte
        Dantrydane's GloryB Gallantree
        Am/Int CH Perlwin's MBN Original Emma V EIO, RN, TT, CGC, TDI
        Int CH Blue Moon's For Game and Glory, CGC, TDI
        Sasdania's Poetry In Motion, RN, CGC

Comment

Oh, I've already informed her that she will need to officially sign over ownership to me. There will be none of this..."oh I have a home now or oh, I have more money now and I want my dog back." I've also informed her that he will be ours and that any and all future decisions in regards to his welfare will be our decisions and not hers.

Our local MAGDRL coordinator is a very good friend of mine so I'm asking her for one of MAGDRL's surrender forms so I can mirror my personal form off of it.

Yes, we will have a long conversation but I want it to be in person and not via texting.
          Noogie-Boogie (Doxxie)

At the Bridge: Fluffy, Brandy, Tiffany, Gizmo, Woof, Scrappy, Duke, Shay, Cleo, Vader, Pepper, Conner

Comment

Thank you for taking in this precious pug!! I am a pug lover, and I have 4!! When I started reading your post, I thought maybe you were going to need a rescue, and I am a volunteer for MAPR. BUT, I was very happy when I continued reading and saw that you were keeping Kasey!! They truly are wonderful little dogs. Not too dainty and fragile, but still small and cute. Mine RULE over Yankee. He thinks they are his bosses, and submits to them in every way. Congratulations on your new family member.
            sigpicDenika, mommy to Jamie-a two-legger, Yankee, Liberty, Justice, Sparky, (foster failure)
            We are on Facebook!!
            www.facebook.com/denikagoblemenis

Comment

good for YOU for doing the responsible thing. boo to HER for being so IRResponsible!

you could do a simple bill of sale (no money has to exchange hands). if you'd like a form, pm me. i have kept copies of all of the bills of sale i have executed when i have bought/sold/re-homed horses.
              [SIGPIC]

Comment

As you've already been advised, get ownersihip in writing ASAP.

Makes me furious when people take your kindness..for a weakness. Especially a so called "friend." You are the winner in this entire situatin. Good for you.

Dee
                sigpic

Comment

I'm actually surprised she didn't sign him over to you a long time ago. Seriously, 2 yrs you've cared for him? Granted she was paying for him but still. I can see her side as well. Why continue to pay for a dog that pretty much belongs to someone else? Was she supposed to move out of her parents at some point? I probably would have had a timeline for the original agreement and rehome after that time had passed.

But glad you are deciding to keep the little booger, I'm sure he is quite attached to you by now. A simple agreement I think would be enough, nothing too complicated it may go over her head.............lol. (she sounds like my sister............who has a pet addiction instead of a purse addiction..........but also gets a free ride from my parents)
                  sigpic

Chris, mom to: Keiko--husky/shep mix (RIP), Gunther--great dane, Nigel and Posey--rat terriers, Pasta--cockatiel, Louigi--peach fronted conure, Hamlet--blue crowned conure

Comment

Kudos to you! What you're doing is wonderful. Warn your friend to watch out for any cars that have KARMA as their license plate. I'm just saying...

Comment

Originally posted by zoocrew View Post
                      I'm actually surprised she didn't sign him over to you a long time ago. Seriously, 2 yrs you've cared for him? Granted she was paying for him but still. I can see her side as well. Why continue to pay for a dog that pretty much belongs to someone else? Was she supposed to move out of her parents at some point? I probably would have had a timeline for the original agreement and rehome after that time had passed.

But glad you are deciding to keep the little booger, I'm sure he is quite attached to you by now.

Well said, my thoughts exactly. 2 whole years is a really long babysitting gig but I'm really glad you can keep him! it's awesome that he's in his furever home and doesn't have to try to adjust to a new home...especially since he already has a BFF!
                      sigpic"Outside of a dog, a book is a man's best friend. Inside of a dog it's to dark to read" -Groucho Marx

Comment

Originally posted by zoocrew View Post
                        He was living with her boyfriend that had to go out of town for 2 weeks, something related to his job. That's how I ended up with him for that time. During that 2 weeks, they broke up. She is living at home (her and her daughter) with her parents, who are cat people and not dog people, so she's allowed to keep her cat there but not the dog. She tried to purchase a townhome last year, but finances were just too tight and the deal fell through. If she were to rent anywhere, it would mean a completely different environment for her daughter (and not in a good way.) Anyhoo...time flies and 2 weeks has turned into where we are now.

Guilt has already sent in. I received a text last night stating she would go ahead and take care of his teeth for me. I didn't respond as I figure I'll address everything when we speak in person.

Thank you all for the words of encouragement!
                        Noogie-Boogie (Doxxie)

Comment

Working...
                        X