Goliath will have his girst stay in a hotel

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Goliath will have his girst stay in a hotel

Ohhh am i ever nervous. Goliath is "pretty good" at home...but nowhere NEAR trained as you all know. I am so worried that he will bark at all the strange sounds.

I got a room on the ground level with a door to the outside. Any other suggestions you guys can offer me in making this as easy as possible. Goliath does NOT use a crate.

I am going to bring familiar things and a million chew toys.
    sigpic

Keep the curtains closed. Freja try to go out the glass door the first night. We just acted normal. took her in the room , turn her loose and let her walk around. She did bark at the other guests but we just told her to be quiet. You need to be calm. Bring what he sleep on so he know his place. Try to get a room away from the ice machine or pop machines, so you do not have that much traffic. The far end of parking lot is nice so it is ez to take out for potty break . Good luck and enjoy. He will do fine it you just enjoy yourself.
    Last edited by 13frajja; 08-11-2011, 04:14 PM.

Comment

One question..why don't you use a crate?? Every dog should be taught crate training, and being quiet...for when you may need. Like overnite stays at the vet.

You won't be able to leave him by himself alone in the room, so make sure you have all you need before you settle in. Keep the TV on because he very well may bark at all the strange noises. Oh and I learned the hard way..don't let the remote lay around where he can get to it.

Dee
      sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by Devil Dog View Post
        One question..why don't you use a crate?? Every dog should be taught crate training, and being quiet...for when you may need. Like overnite stays at the vet.

You won't be able to leave him by himself alone in the room, so make sure you have all you need before you settle in. Keep the TV on because he very well may bark at all the strange noises. Oh and I learned the hard way..don't let the remote lay around where he can get to it.

Dee
        Well...here is where I get honest and you all rip me a new one lol. I DO know that EVERYONE under the sun recommends it. I just have not been able to find one large enough for him as an adult. My thinking is that he is 5 months now and by the time I find one...he won't want to be in one.

Now I will DUCK and COVER for the barrage of comments and concerns this will bring up. But I will listen.

I am ready. GO! lol
        sigpic

Comment

I'm not gonna give you any for not using a crate, but seriously how do you do it?!

I would be in a loony bin right now if it weren't for the crate. It is my saving grace. Bear is a GREAT puppy....but he has his moments...and i have mine....we both can get to the point where its just better if we go to our corners and take a breather...and there is no way that I could get Bear to sit still for an hour after he eats without the crate...now he just knows that as soon as he eats that last bite of kibble, mommy gets the cheese and its nap time.

I would be a hot mess without that hour every night. I love Bear more than I ever thought I could love anything, but i really look forward to that hour every night. lol

Cait & Bear (Dane, b. 4-22-11) & Jack aka Yackimus (Cat, b. 10-30-04) sigpic

Waiting at the Bridge: Simba (rescue, most unique kitty ever.), Spooky (kitty, 12) Baby (Boston Terrier, 14), Dude (rescue, Rottie/German Sheperd Mix)

Comment

Originally posted by MamaBear23 View Post
            I'm not gonna give you any for not using a crate, but seriously how do you do it?!

Haha. Well I have a large costco dog bed for Goliath. That is his "crate" and after he and my other dog eat, they get their "chewies" and they are sent to their beds. In general the old dog sleeps and has taught Goliath to do the same. I then take that opportunity to get work done. Or watch a show etc. Goliath just seems to have a good sense of our patterns so far and follows suit. I AM with him literally 24/7 though.
            sigpic

Comment

im taking my dog to the beach with the gf's parents in about a week. She does well at new places after she warms up, but im also worried about her getting nervous when im away. I bought her a thundershirt today and it should come in before we leave. we will see how that helps.

But yea, i have no idea how you have done without a crate, rooka hasent been in her crate but a few times in the last 2 months. She just does so well out of it at my house and always just sleeps on the couch. BUT in your situation a crate would really help. I still use it when i travel and I dont trust her by herself in new places (aka my parents house, my mom would KILL her if she chewed something of hers)

But maybe consider ordering a thundershirt, i feel like its worth a shot seeing its only 30 bucks.

ALSO

I know a lot of people are against it, but i feel like in some situations an anti bark collar is necessary. If your dog barking could ruin your vacation or get you kicked out of a hotel its sometimes your only option. and ive never seen a problem with them provided your dog has no serious anxiety issues or fear issues.
              Last edited by dan4011; 08-11-2011, 06:46 PM.
              sigpic

Comment

Not going to give you any about crating, just a word of advice. It's good to get them at least used to a crate even if it's not used on a daily basis in case you NEED to crate him sometime in the future. If God forbid he were to get injured or need surgery and was put on crate rest for 8,10,12 weeks. If he's used to the crate it wouldn't be too bad but if he's never been crated it would cause all kinds of stress and he could further injure himself trying to get out. Just food for thought. As for the hotel stay, I agree with Dee about never leaving him alone and hiding the remote.
                sigpicIs it dinnertime yet?

Comment

I DO agree with crating and know the benefits. BUT where on earth do I get a crate big enough and what size would a dane actually need? Measurements? Remember I am limited to my trips to the cities, so costco, walmart, petsmart, those types of places would be my options.
                  sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by vraiment View Post
                    I DO agree with crating and know the benefits. BUT where on earth do I get a crate big enough and what size would a dane actually need? Measurements? Remember I am limited to my trips to the cities, so costco, walmart, petsmart, those types of places would be my options.
                    This is where mine originally came from. From all my searching, I think it's the cheapest place to order dane-sized crates in Canada.
                    https://www.businessvision.net/Edge/Main.asp?D=%7B11C38A5F%2D859B%2D4DC9%2D9764%2D427C 808F0F4D%7D&PageType=ProductList&DisplayMode=Categ ory&CategoryID=190
                    Zephyr CGN, RE, TT- crazy harlequin
                    Divine Acres Riddle Me This- regal fawn

http://thegrownups.ca/ on life and (not) growing up.

Comment

Kayla that link did not work. Even when I copied and pasted it. Thanks but could you re-try?
                      sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by vraiment View Post
                        Kayla that link did not work. Even when I copied and pasted it. Thanks but could you re-try?
                        Hmm, silly link. Google pet supply house. They're a Canadian company. They have an online shopping section, click on the crate section, then the colossal crate section.
                        Zephyr CGN, RE, TT- crazy harlequin
                        Divine Acres Riddle Me This- regal fawn

http://thegrownups.ca/ on life and (not) growing up.

Comment

Good luck with your trip!
                          As far as the crate goes...........i don't have an adult dane sized crate (well, I do but its at my parents house, never used it, don't need it and it won't fit in my car to bring it here.............but I got it for $0.01 so couldn't pass up that deal...........lol). Gunther outgrew Keiko's old crate by around 5-6 months old and then he moved to the laundry room, then kitchen, then free roaming.

He'll still go inside a room (ie bathroom) if I ask so I have no doubt he could go in a crate if need be.

As for the hotel room..................be prepared for barking. I second trying to get a room towards the end of the floor, less traffic there. When we first moved, I brought a squirt bottle as a reminder but didn't have to use it. Closed curtains is a must if the door is to the outside.

My guys are old hats at traveling so I can't think of anything special we've brought along when we first started traveling.
                          sigpic

Chris, mom to: Keiko--husky/shep mix (RIP), Gunther--great dane, Nigel and Posey--rat terriers, Pasta--cockatiel, Louigi--peach fronted conure, Hamlet--blue crowned conure

Comment

Check CL for crates...that's the cheapest and easiest place to get a giant one.
                            sigpic"Outside of a dog, a book is a man's best friend. Inside of a dog it's to dark to read" -Groucho Marx

Comment

Find a good place close to your hotel for walks or even off-leash time. And use that park lots! Make sure he's good and tired, so he won't bark out of boredom. And bring plenty of chew toys, bones, and stuffed Kongs to keep him busy.

I think it's great you're starting to get him used to hotels at this young age. Texas' first hotel stay was when she was 3 1/2 months old and was NOT a pleasant experience for me.

(I had done a 120km bike ride that day and poor hubby was stuck in traffic - from the bike race - all day and didn't walk her. She wouldn't go to sleep that night... barking, barking, barking, barking. And we were sharing a room with my parents. I felt so bad for them. So I got the honors of walking her up and down the hotel hallway for 30 min at 3am!! And she wasn't fully housebroken... our room was on the 8th floor FAR from the elevators and I had to carry ~35 lb of wiggling puppy from our room to the elevator, thru the lobby to the grass for fear she'd pee in the hallway or lobby. Thankfully Mom & Dad took Texas for a 90 min walk in the morning - bless their hearts - so I could sleep in.)

But now she's stayed in many hotel rooms, and is a much better traveller. Oh, and it doesn't hurt that I've smartened up and realized EXERCISE is a must for travelling dogs. And I always bring a roll of paper towel just in case
                              sigpicTexas... my first dane!

Comment

Working...
                              X