Saddle Comments

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Saddle Comments

It's no secret that every dane whether big, small, solid, striped or spotted gets the "you got a saddle for that thing?" jokes..

my question is, do OTHER giant breed dogs get the saddle comments as well? do people ever call saint bernards, mastiffs, great pyrenees or irish wolfhounds a horse?? they are just as big and sometimes bigger than a great dane. however, i have NEVER heard horse comments about any other dog than a dane. i also have never owned another giant breed so wouldn't have much experience in what comments they get. so i ask you...

do other giant breed dogs get the saddle comments?
    sigpic
    xena and her dane friend duchess
    Heather
    and Xena the Warrior Dane
    find us on FB
    http://www.facebook.com/XenaWarriorDane
    http://www.facebook.com/pages/Xena-t...51824241520044

We had an English Mastiff before Gunner and we always got the "is it a dog or a pony" comment, or "I bet your kids like having their own horse to ride". I do notice that we get it a lot more with Gunner than we did with our Mastiff Jake, but I think it could be because Gunner's so tall at such a young age where our Mastiff was just big in general.

Comment

i think other breeds get it but not as much as danes do. sometimes i think its because they arent as thick as the other mastiffs, they almost look a little "horse ish" when they move and in their heads haha. my roomie has a DDB and a Neo and she said she doesnt ever get horse or saddle comments with them.
      sam: mom to 2 danes (Romeo/mantle merle and Daegan/fawn), and Cora, the ragdoll kitty.

"inside every Great Dane is a puppy just longing to climb into your lap"

Comment

I was on a walk with someone who had a 80lb Dalmation and got the "You should charge for rides" comment. Kimba was a very young puppy then and the Dalmation was morbidly obese. A friend of mine had an unusually large Rottweiller that got horse comments as well. I do agree, however, that Danes seem to get the most. I'm wondering if it might be that not everyone knows what a Dane looks like. I mean, a St Bernard is easy to recognize and expected to be large but as a Dane owner, I get asked a lot what kind of a dog he is. Could this have something to do with it? Maybe he is seens as a freakishly large (regular breed) dog?

Comment

I never knew anything about the horse comments until I got bernie. I mean even when I saw a huge dog I never thought to call it a horse or ride it. So I think those comments are soooo ridiculous. Haha when I got bernie I had always loved those beethoven shows but honestly did not know saint bernards were so big! I was like holy crap the first time I saw bernie and then later realized he was very tall for his breed as he was taller than some danes we saw at the dog parks. But OMG I never knew nothing about the horse comments until him.
          sigpic Little boy!

Comment

I think it depends on the size of the owner. If I walk my mastiff I sometimes get comments - I'm 5' 2". If my son walks her he gets nothing - he's 6' 5". Or maybe they are to scared to say anything to him : )

Comment

Yup, Reilly gets it all the time.
              Chris, Wife to Dave, and Mom three human teenagers.
              Also mom to Tori (11 yo Lab), , Ayla (2 yo brindle dane), Milo (2 yo boxer), Killian (4 week old iw pup who is still with his breeder and mommy) 3 kittens, 2 horses, multiple reptiles, 7 fainting goats, 25 chickens, and 2 pot bellied pigs, all of whom make life great!
              RIP CARLIE 2/09-2/11 & REILLY 10/4/08-11/20/12, best friends together forever now.

sigpic

Comment

Working...
              X