Cleaning Hardwood Floors

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Cleaning Hardwood Floors

I have light colored hardwood floors in my place and my usual cleaning routine has been to use my vacuum with the floor attachment to get all the hair off, then I wet mop using BonaX cleaner on a flat microfiber pad mop. It works, but you really have to scrub a lot where there is dried drool, and you can't always see where those drool spots are that you need to scrub unless the light hits them just right so often I end up doing a lot of work, and not getting the majority of the dirt out.

I'm thinking there has to be a better way.... a machine of some sort, like a wet/dry vac that is made specifically for hardwood floors. The only things I've been able to find are for "hard floors" which means tile, vinyl, lenoleum, and hardwoods. While I'd trust something like that on tile, vinyl, and lenoleum, I'm not so sure I'd trust it on hardwoods.... I'd worry it would put down too much liquid.

I'm curious to see what methods/devices/cleaners you folks with hardwoods are using!

Thanks in advance.

Unfortunatly I do much the same that you do. Although I go over the floors first with a wetjet (I find that gets up the drool and mud better) and then go back over them with the Bona cleaner.
    sigpic

Comment

I run the vac and then use a floor steamer, works great! There will occasionally be an extra tough drool spot that I will get by hand, but most of it comes right up.
      Rachael

sigpic

Comment

I first vac. up the hair & dust. I then damp mop using Murphy's Oil soap. I'm just very careful not to use a soaking mop (wring it out well so not to have too much water). Also, white vinegar & water works very well on hard wood and will cut any grease/film that has accumulated.
        sigpic
        Roxy & Ace

Comment

on my wood floors, I use diluted murphys oil soap. On non-wood I use white vinegar and hot water (leaves no residue and cleans them really well!)
          sigpic
          Crystal
          Owned by:
          Dexter 8 year old GD, CGC
          CH xxx's Top Gear AKA Studebaker (Baker) 4 years
          Bagel 19 yr old Maine Coon
          Lox 11 yr old Russian Blue mix

Comment

Broom, Swiffer, and Windex to spot-clean. I'm a slob! The tile floors in the kitchen and toilets get mopped by my husband.

Comment

Brut, I am doing the exact same thing that you do....and it wears me out. My entire house is hardwood minus the area rugs.....I am afraid to use the steamer. I've heard that they aren't safe unless your floors are really well sealed. My house is old and I worry that there are small areas that might get damaged. Sures sounds like it would be an easier option though.

I might try the murphy's soap mopping. I have done that on my hands and knees with a bucket and sponge before but it is really labor intensive.
              sigpic
              Hank 02/07/2010
              Sam 08/25/2007 - 06/28/2013

Comment

Vacuum, dry swiffer, then mop with Dr. Bronner's Tea Tree liquid soap in hot water. (A very small amount, it is very concentrated.) House smells clean and fresh without the harsh chemicals.

Comment

I have original hardwood floors from the '50's. I just had them refinished maybe 2 years ago? I was told to never use anything but vinegar and water.

My parents have the newer hardwood and that is all my mom uses is vinegar and water.
                  sigpic
                  www.rescuemetugz.com

Michele, Roscoe, Ava, Romeo, (RIP Daphne)
                  http://www.onetruemedia.com/shared?p=732e92418610139ae96918&skin_id=701&utm_so urce=otm&utm_medium=text_url
                  Be part of the solution by not being part of the problem. NO BYB's!!

Comment

I bought one of those Rubbermaid squirt mops that you can refill with your own cleaner. They have two washable pads and let me use the Method hardwood floor cleaner (love their products!) or vinegar and water. I sweep (or Roomba) first then squirt and swipe. Works nicely and it is pretty rare that I have to scrub a stubborn spot.
                    I also have to brag on my lil Roomba! I got it used on ebay and it has been wonderful so far! I hate housekeeping but knowing that I can let it run to its heart's content while I tackle another hated chore makes me feel like I'm doing two things at once. It gets those long floaty undercoat hairs from Bingo plus the lil short Belle hairs that stick in the rugs. It does a nice job on the wood...meaning that I have to actually clean it much less often!
                    We are all hardwood here with a little linoleum and tile thrown in so I spend lots of time on the floors. These products work like a charm!

Diana, Nick, Bingo, Belle, Sam, and Zane
                    One man's trash is another man's treasure. Rescue a dog, give a 2nd chance, get undying love. It's a great deal!

Comment

Thanks for all the replies. I did a lot of research over the last day or so and found that the steamers and other similar devices are too risky for hardwoods.

I also use a Roomba as well and LOVE the thing. It sweeps hardwoods like a dream. Mine is about 5 years old or so and still going strong though I've had to replace the battery twice in that time. eBay is the cheapest place to get the battery packs. So nice for getting under the bed!

I just decided to keep up my current routine, vac/sweep/or roomba, then mop with BonaX. Bona has a new mop now that looks and works like the swiffer wet jet (has the liquid attached to the lower part of the mop with a trigger on the handle). I guess I'll consider it a labor of love!

Comment

I have a steam cleaner but only use it on the tile floor. My hardwood installer said that the steam cleaner is not recommend because it shoots that steam down between the slats of wood. I know of people who do use one and don't have problems. Who knows over time. I just choose not to risk it.

Martha
                        sigpic

Comment

I use a steam cleaner on the hard wood and ceramic tile floors. I leave it sit a few seconds longer on a spot with hard drool. It works great!
                          Mom to Leonardo and Titus

Comment

Same as Sydney. I vacuum first and then I use my shark steam mop. Easy and works great!

Comment

First vac - then steam. Works great.
                              sigpic

Comment

Working...
                              X